jobs similar to poker

I'm a student and have never worked before, other than at a family friends restaurant for a week for fun with no pay or helped my father when i had time. So basically i don't know "the real world" as some might say.

I made my extra money playing poker and one of the great things about poker other than I love it so much is that it has somewhat a "work pays off" thing, where if you put had work,dedication, and passion into learning the game and the volume you will get $$$ coming, maybe not instant because of the variance and what not. being good at the game=make money.

What i mean by similar jobs to poker as in if you work hard=money and not in a mathematical way such as if you are good in poker it is similar to stock market. What i mean is something like real state agent, working hard into making a name of yourself and dedicate yourself into it can make you a lot of money.Something like a truck driver, as much as you work hard there is a limit to how much money you can make.

What jobs has this exponential money reward if you work hard and succeed in it?

Yes life is not all about money and i understand that also #stayatschool

Comments

• Pretty much anything if you are intelligent.

Real Estate Agent would be equivalent in that there are lots of scumbag poker players. It is funny that you would equate one of the professions that requires the least intelligence and least skill to poker. I guess it is similar in that neither produce anything or contribute anything tangible to society, but I do not see the similarities in the qualities you are mentioning. This profession would be one of the farthest away in similarities to poker IMO.
  • Being a pro poker player is essentially being self-employed, like a real estate agent, consultant, contractor, retail store owner, etc.

Therefore, the risks and rewards are similar to those of being a small business owner. Your success will be determined by many factors, including skill/ability, hard work, management ability, market conditions, and of course....luck!

Just like in business, in poker you have more (but not 100%) control over your success than if you "work for the man", and the ceiling is definitely higher, but you also assume much more risk and can easily over-extend yourself if you aren't self managing.

My general thought is that if you have an aptitude for something and you enjoy it, you will very likely be successful.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Being a pro poker player is essentially being self-employed, like a real estate agent, consultant, contractor, retail store owner, etc.

Therefore, the risks and rewards are similar to those of being a small business owner. Your success will be determined by many factors, including skill/ability, hard work, management ability, market conditions, and of course....luck!

Just like in business, in poker you have more (but not 100%) control over your success than if you "work for the man", and the ceiling is definitely higher, but you also assume much more risk and can easily over-extend yourself if you aren't self managing.

My general thought is that if you have an aptitude for something and you enjoy it, you will very likely be successful.

This!!
    Very well said.
  • Did anyone say prostitution yet?
  • Earn money at something you are passionate about and you will never "work" again.
    I find that Sales rewards you for what you put into it, priovided you are paid commission on your sales. As others have said, its more risky than working for a salary, but the rewards are greater as well.
  • That ain't sales . . . it's Empire.
  • Easy one: dredging for gold at the bottom of the Bering Sea.
  • Waaaaaaawwwwww...
  • ned

Dead or A

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiive
  • Blackberry day trader?