Canada: The Great White Waste of Time

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/349tpijp.asp?pg

Found this link on RGP. A decent, very long, obviously biased article on Canadians from an American perspective. Worth a look if you have nothing better to do, and/or if you're interested in this stuff. My favourite part:

"Canadians are traditionally so insecure about the lack of attention we pay them that their government has even paid American universities $300,000 to study them. One of the foremost Canadian Studies programs in the country is at Duke. A professor in the program has said, 'We're the most important university to make a serious effort to study Canada. That's like being the best hockey team in Zimbabwe.'"

Comments

• Canadians are traditionally so insecure about the lack of attention we pay them...

This makes me very secure actually.

If the US ever pays attention to us, they might just figure out that we've got a bunch of oil and no armed forces to speak of.

Not to mention that we're currently 3 and 0 lifetime against the US in significant military confrontations. If they discover this little factoid, they may decide they want a little payback. ;)

I'm a little doubtful that we could make it 4 in a row...

Let's just stay cool, keep sending them a little maple syrup and some assembled automobiles every now and then, and enjoy not being nuked all the way to Zimbabwe. :cool:

As usual, the Simpsons put it best.

Homer: Marge, anyone could miss Canada, all tucked away down there.

Marge [arriving in Canada]: It's so clean and bland. I'm home!

ScottyZ
  • We may have the edge if we go for four. Their biorhythms will be askew once they make the switch to Canadian time.
  • Not to mention they have no idea what our weather is because the forcasts stop at the 49th
  • Anyone watch West Wing?.... recent episode includes side story about a US-Canada dispute along the border (prairie area) where a couple of US hunters get taken hostage by canadian farmers or something along those lines....

There's a White House situation room scene where a military official hands over this binder to the NSA ... "US Plans for Invasion of Canada"... then there's a line like "I can't believe we actually HAVE a plan to invade Canada!"

There's some pretty funny lines, and references are made to soft-wood lumber, mad cow, pharmaceutical companies, etc.... pretty funny stuff!!