for Beginners:

which book is better? :?:

Winner's Guide To Texas Hold'em Poker

or Poker For Dummies

any others? :o

thanks,
CO :D

Comments

• I think the Lee Jones book is best ... and you know I can't even remember the title to it ... Low Limit hold'em or something maybe?

Granted you can just go and get the Sklansky books and work up from there. :)
  • I didn't think Winner's Guide to Texas Holdem Poker was good. Poker for Dummies is a good overview, sort of like a poker "general interest" book. Poker for Dummies may be worth reading, but won't teach you much about strategy.

Two excellent strategy books for beginners are:

Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones

Winning at Poker by Dave Scharf

ScottyZ
  • kwplayer wrote:
    I think the Lee Jones book is best ... and you know I can't even remember the title to it ... Low Limit hold'em or something maybe?

Sklansky books? :?: only for advanced players? :unsure: :?:
  • Granted you can just go and get the Sklansky books and work up from there.

Funny that you mention this. The first poker book I read was Theory of Poker... talk about a trial by fire. 8)

Theory of Poker is by no means an excessively difficult book to read, but it's a lot easier to grasp many of the concepts when you have some real playing time under your belt. And by *real* playing time, I mean playing with at least some idea of what you're doing in terms of strategy.

Theory of Poker is not for beginners, but it's what I would recommend reading next after reading the Jones & Scharf books, and logging a little time at your local 3-6 game. 8)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I didn't think Winner's Guide to Texas Holdem Poker was good. Poker for Dummies is a good overview, sort of like a poker "general interest" book. Poker for Dummies may be worth reading, but won't teach you much about strategy.

Two excellent strategy books for beginners are:

Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones

Winning at Poker by Dave Scharf

ScottyZ

will checkem out...thanks :D

• kwplayer wrote:
    I think the Lee Jones book is best ... and you know I can't even remember the title to it ... Low Limit hold'em or something maybe?

I think kwplayer was joking about the Sklansky books. I would say these books are a little too advanced for beginners.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    kwplayer wrote:

I think kwplayer was joking about the Sklansky books. I would say these books are a little too advanced for beginners.

ScottyZ

OIC :lol:

ummm... are there any videos out there like James Coburn's The Winning Strategy Series

• ROTFL! James Colburn. I guess I shouldn't comment because I haven't seen those tapes ... but i guess i figure they suck. :)

I enjoyed watching Mike Caro's poker tells videos (2). I thought they were worth the money but a lot of the stuff isn't applicable to hold'em (my main game) so I mean you have to take what you can get.

I also had the Mike Caro's Poker Poker Seminar. That one I didn't much care for ... in fact as I learned more and more about poker Caro has kind of fell out of favour with me. Perhaps I am being too harsh ... who knows.

Granted I just read some of his recent columns and I thought they were fairly good and though provoking so maybe I am out to lunch.

Don't think I have any other tapes other than poker movies and WSOP tapes... Someone told me Howard Lederer thing sucks very badly but I have not seen it yet. The guy that told me knows quite a bit about poker so I am going to go with his opinion and suggest it is not worth the funds.
  • ummm... are there any videos out there like James Coburn's The Winning Strategy Series

Don't think so. There actually isn't a lot out there on video in the "learning poker" area.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    ummm... are there any videos out there like James Coburn's The Winning Strategy Series

Don't think so. There actually isn't a lot out there on video in the "learning poker" area.

ScottyZ

hmmm interesting :mrgreen:
    maybe in a year someone will make a tutorial video
    maybe get one of them pro's and mkt it LOL
    hmmm interesting...for now will do some reading i guess :roll:
  • kwplayer wrote:
    ROTFL! James Colburn. I guess I shouldn't comment because I haven't seen those tapes ... but i guess i figure they suck. :)

LOL i got the Blackjack and Craps for Xmas 2 years ago :mrgreen:
    the CRAPS was good cuz i dont know anything or much about CRAPS so the video helped

as for the Blackjack one...it was alright cuz i've already know about BlackJack LOL :D

there's one for Slots with video poker...nothing for Holdem Poker though :cry:
  • i think ur best bet for a good beginner book is dave scharf's...and if you get it from chapters, u'll find it for $9.99...a great price.

i think it's a very helpful book for most beginning players.
  • Dan wrote:
    i think ur best bet for a good beginner book is dave scharf's...and if you get it from chapters, u'll find it for $9.99...a great price.

i think it's a very helpful book for most beginning players.

Winning at Poker
    Author: Dave Scharf
    Spiral Bound
    ISBN:1841931721
    Published: December 2003
    Temporarily Unavailable to Order
    Our Price: $9.99

will check other book stores...thanks :D
  • It should be available at B&M Chapters. Also, Amazon.ca has it available, but it's more expensive since they price it in USD. (CDN$9.99 at Chapters, USD$9.99 at Amazon.ca)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    It should be available at B&M Chapters. Also, Amazon.ca has it available, but it's more expensive since they price it in USD. (CDN$9.99 at Chapters, USD$9.99 at Amazon.ca)

ScottyZ

just found out 1 of the chapters has a couple copies in stock...gonna go check it out this w/e

$9.99 good price :mrgreen:
  • i believe that the best book out there for internet play would be internet texas holdem by matthew hilger.. if ur a strictly an internet player i would say that is the best poker for beginners and intermediate players ..
  • i believe that the best book out there for internet play would be internet texas holdem by matthew hilger.. if ur a strictly an internet player i would say that is the best poker for beginners and intermediate players ..

do ya have this book? if so, how ya rate it?

thanks,
  • Do not get the Dummies book.

I believe it is 40% off at amazon.ca but it will not help your game at all. Only helps if you want a big rule book about different types of poker.
    Suggest, get a the other book (haven;t read it, but has to be better than dummies because that is what they think you are)
  • Tilter wrote:
    Do not get the Dummies book.

I believe it is 40% off at amazon.ca but it will not help your game at all. Only helps if you want a big rule book about different types of poker.
    Suggest, get a the other book (haven;t read it, but has to be better than dummies because that is what they think you are)

ok i wont get the Dummies book :shock:
  • Suggest, get a the other book (haven;t read it, but has to be better than dummies because that is what they think you are)

I have read both of the books in the original post, and I thought Poker for Dummies was better. However, there are a lot of books out there which are better than both of these.

ScottyZ
  • I bought the Lee Jones book, Winning Low Limit Hold'em and put what I read to practice last night. I was playing on party poker(to get the free chips) on a $.50/$1 table because I'm a rookie and didn't want to lose all my money. I just started playing with $10 and after my 125 raked hands it had turned into $60. I found that after reading the book I was folding hands and betting differently than I had done in past home games I've played. I actually won money instead of just breaking even or losing.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
  • TreC wrote:
    I bought the Lee Jones book, Winning Low Limit Hold'em and put what I read to practice last night. I was playing on party poker(to get the free chips) on a $.50/$1 table because I'm a rookie and didn't want to lose all my money. I just started playing with $10 and after my 125 raked hands it had turned into $60. I found that after reading the book I was folding hands and betting differently than I had done in past home games I've played. I actually won money instead of just breaking even or losing.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

wtg TreC :D

so how many hours did it take to get your 125 raked hands :D

thanks,
  • It took about 4 hours. I signed up around 9pm and finished just before 1am. The free chips are a really good deal. I signed up for $100, won $60, and got a $25 bonus from partypoker for playing the 125 hands. So for signing up I pretty much got $85 plus a free set of chips. Now I'll probably just pull out the $100 I put in and just play with other $85
  • TreC wrote:
    It took about 4 hours. I signed up around 9pm and finished just before 1am. The free chips are a really good deal. I signed up for $100, won $60, and got a $25 bonus from partypoker for playing the 125 hands. So for signing up I pretty much got $85 plus a free set of chips.

sweeeeeeeet :mrgreen:

TreC wrote:
    Now I'll probably just pull out the $100 I put in and just play with other $85

yay...in the money :D

regards,
  • Hhhmmm, how is PP competition? I have been playing mostly NL for a while and haven't played solid limit games for a long time.

Lee Jones book was good for a beginner and is a necessity for all beginners.

also CO, good choice on not getting the Dummies book. I brought it at a chapter for $30 when i first started, complete waste!
  • Hhhmmm, how is PP competition?

There are no less than 3 major online poker sites with initials PP.

If you mean PartyPoker, then the games are softer than a grandmother's behind after she gets her full spa treatment.

ScottyZ
  • Tilter wrote:
    Lee Jones book was good for a beginner and is a necessity for all beginners.
    i'll add this one to the list along with Winning at Poker by Dave Scharf :D

Tilter wrote:
    also CO, good choice on not getting the Dummies book. I brought it at a chapter for $30 when i first started, complete waste!

thanks,
  • Tilter wrote:
    Hhhmmm, how is PP competition? I have been playing mostly NL for a while and haven't played solid limit games for a long time.

I honestly couldn't tell you good or bad since it was my first time playing for money online. I found a lot of stupid people who would go right to a showdown when there are two aces showing on the table and all they got is a pair of fives in their hand and other dumb moves like that. I would probably chalk that one up to how things are done on a very low limit table.
  • TreC wrote:
    Tilter wrote:
    Hhhmmm, how is PP competition? I have been playing mostly NL for a while and haven't played solid limit games for a long time.

I honestly couldn't tell you good or bad since it was my first time playing for money online. I found a lot of stupid people who would go right to a showdown when there are two aces showing on the table and all they got is a pair of fives in their hand and other dumb moves like that. I would probably chalk that one up to how things are done on a very low limit table.

lol...yeah...stuped peepo...more FISH :mrgreen:
  • Dam, those are some fishes.

I guess I got to wait until next week until I pay of my Credit Card before I can make a deposit.

Thanks for the heads up!