Brantford $125 Deepstack Dockament Hand

80 person 8 table tournament about 2-3 hours in (5-6 tables left)
Blinds $400/$800
Antes $75
Stack about $10k
Position SB
Fairly new to the table (maybe 5 hands)

Action: 1 limper from mid position (unknown player with about $12k), everyone else folds to you.

BB folded to your post flop shove the previous hand so he is probably unlikely to call a solid raise again without a good hand.

Pot $2750

Hand: AA

Do you just shove or do you want to lay some odds to try to get some chips you desperately need with your premium hand (you haven't seen many)? It is getting close to go time with just over 10BB. But you don't think BB will call and the only other guy limped from mid position.

What is your move, exactly how much and why?

Comments

• Weve identified limper in the pot is a bad live player.

Shoving folds him out almost always, but you basically never lose

I prefer 3-4x in this spot and open shove flop.
  • i played in this tournament, made it down to 3 tables before i busted.........but since September i played in 5, won one and finished 7th in another...i guess its a "donkament", but i try to play accordingly..........so in this spot, i shove all in , each and every time, and pick up 2750 important chips.........or so i hope..lol..^-^
  • Torn between shoving and raising small here to induce... I don't really like only getting the blinds plus the 1 limp.... However to a thinking player a small raise here from a tighty like me will look awful strong.. Hmm, on second thought here I'm raising 3 bb and shoving any flop after a moment to think about it.. Enough bad players at Brantford to not pick up on it... They can't all be Wetts...;)
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I prefer 3-4x in this spot and open shove flop.

This

Really dislike open shoving because this is live and you're almost never getting called. Make it like 2800-3400 pre and just shove flop which will be a 3/4~ pot bet or so.
  • marban wrote: »
    i played in this tournament, made it down to 3 tables before i busted.........but since September i played in 5, won one and finished 7th in another...i guess its a "donkament", but i try to play accordingly..........so in this spot, i shove all in , each and every time, and pick up 2750 important chips.........or so i hope..lol..^-^

So we have aces and dont want to get all the monies?

Live poker and being allin is a very weird thing.

You can have 10bb and raise 6x (and theoretically be all in) and get called way more frequently than shoving, which is generally perceived as having a very strong hand.

In almost the exact same spot Ive had people fold 88 faceup against 8bb shoves at Brantford. We want to get people pot committed without them realizing preflop what theyre doing.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    So we have aces and dont want to get all the monies?

Live poker and being allin is a very weird thing.

You can have 10bb and raise 6x (and theoretically be all in) and get called way more frequently than shoving, which is generally perceived as having a very strong hand.

In almost the exact same spot Ive had people fold 88 faceup against 8bb shoves at Brantford. We want to get people pot committed without them realizing preflop what theyre doing.
    i guess you have to play the player........although that player who just calls your 6x raise is clueless.imo..are there that many clueless players at the 100 tourneys at brantford..?lol..i guess im just a nervous nellie....i shove..but thats just me..
  • At Brantford, I would estimate half the field would limp call a raise of 2400-3k, and not even realize you only hand 5bb behind.
  • It came down to 3 options for me.

1) Push
    2) Bet 3-4BB
    3) Bet 2.5BB

For me calling is not an option here.

1) Though I did think about it I don't like the push here. The table has already been weeded down to only 3 players. I want action with AA against 2 other players. Though pushing basically assures winning the pot on the other hand I need to start getting some real chips soon.

2) 3-4BB is I think a standard move here.

But I chose 3).

The 2.5BB was meant to ensure that at least the mid position limper would call with good or bad cards. But on the upside I might get reraised. I am new to the table and made a standard raise then push the previous hand.

If BB wakes up with AK or a high pocket pair he's very likely to reraise me after getting burned the previous hand and it is possible though not probable that the limper actually had a hand and is willing to reraise a weak looking move.

I am still laying favourable odds to any hand heads up (3.3:1) with the intent to shove after the flop.

BB folds and mid position calls.

Flop comes 8 8 6 rainbow.

I have $8k left and instead of shoving I bet $5k. It's a virtual shove to me but perhaps villain hasn't counted my chips and has a pocket pair or is bad enough to call with AK for another card.

He goes all in.

By his physical reaction I suspect he caught his 8 somehow. But I have $7k of my $10k in there already and was considering it a shove move anyway. I can see him doing the same with any pocket pair higher than the 8s.

I call and ask him if he donked his 8 before he throws his cards over.

He turns over 8 9 offsuit.

Questions:

Was the 2.5BB a reasonable move in this case?

Was there any chance I could have got away with my last $3k?

I am playing the best most focused poker of my life at the moment. But Sunday losing to a 9% underdog and yesterday bubbling from chip lead with back to back KK (once to A J and then to 77) has me wanting to never play again (but of course I will).

Just looking for analysis for the play in this case. If you see any flaws in any of my reasoning I would appreciate the advice.
  • Obv I think you played it really well. Not much you can do, and its basically a dream flop for you.
  • Oh, and never, ever fold here.
  • Thanks man. I don't really have anyone to run hands by and the results recently have not been reinforcing what I think is good play. Just wanted to make sure.
  • I raise an approx pot sized bet pre and shove every flop always...sometimes twice
  • I probably shove here as it will likely increase my chipstack by almost 30% uncontested. I probably flip over the rockets to show what a tight well mannered individual I am. AA rarely improves so I'm thinking "lets get it on" is a good move.