Wsop Satellite Final Results

WSOP TORONTO SATELLITE UPDATE:

Thanks to all of those who came out for the WSOP satellite tournament on saturday in Toronto. We had a great turn out with 88 players, but when everything was all said and done, the player to emerge as champion was someone very familiar with the 1st place podium. Jeff Campbell, that's right, the same Jeff Campbell that won the 2004 Brantford Tournament, emerged victorious last night. If there ever was someone to go and represent the Ontario Poker community in the 2005 WSOP, I think Jeff Campbell is clearly a worthy candidate. It is obvious that his consistent strong finishes are no fluke. So congratulations to Jeff, and we wish him all the best at the 2005 WSOP!! Go take it down!!!

Comments

• Wow, I'd love to get my ass kicked around the table at that kind of satellite tournament.
  • Amazing, roll out the red carpet! Great Job Jeff, can't wait till this years WSOP now!

stp
  • I have watched this guy play some serious poker. he took down the poker pit too. such skill this guy has.

good luck jeff. cant wait to see you at the final table.

johnny
  • I would like to congratulate Jeff again. He is a master.

Acesfull:

88 players?? That is very wrong. Although i noticed the prize pool reflected 88 players I dont think that is a true count.
    First off we had 9 FULL tables to begin. There were also players added in, filling seats where players who busted quickly had started.
    Secondly, I understand the chip count can change as we colour up and race off chips at various levels.
    By your count we started with 2000 starting chips for 88 players.
    Jeffs calling allin on the first hand of heads up with 95,000 left me with 10K.
    He won the 190K pot leaving me with 10K to try to luck out with. That adds up to 200,000 in tournament chips. Much too much for 88 players.
    Can you explain any of this to me?

I would also like to get in touch with the dealers if at all possible. Maybe explain a few things and some reasoning.
  • HOLY CRAP! Kev, you and Jeff were heads up for the spot. Details man, details. Dont' hold anything back...or email me :eek:
  • Thanks AcesFull, thanks guys,

Unbelievable, Very Excited!!
    To finish 1-2 with Kev, work our way through a field of close to 100 players and meet and at the final, and then to be heads up with even stacks was incredible. I dont see why Kev doesn't take his second place money and buyin, I mean the guy buys into 1k CPT, he's almost there!
  • Ah, Kev is a chump and is chicken...LoL...nice work guys!!!
  • heys guys kev jeff you guys are sick honestly what a heads up finish
    congratulations on the seat bro thats going to be an amazing week in july

seeing 2nd man

Terry Foxx
  • Thank god nobody here won that slot machine. I was fully prepared to help, in any way necessary, the "winner" take it out to the parking lot and drive over it repeatedly.
  • I'm kinda interested to hear the answers to CanadaKev's questions...

BTW... What were the complete payouts?
  • Not to beat on AcesFull but I talked to Kevin last night and he was genuinely concerned about some of the things that went on at the tourney. I guess it's both fortunate and unfortunate since he did well dispite the concerns but was still unhappy with a few things.
  • I beleive the payouts were:

1st WSOP prize package equaling 14KUSD
    2nd $3500
    3-8 I believe got some prizes, not cash.

If there were in fact 100 players, that would equal $32,500. Leaving approxiamately 5-8K unaccounted for, assuming the prizes didn't exceed $2000.00. I don't want to be a rat or anything but if someone on this forum got jipped 2nd place monies then it'd be nice to see some clarification on it. I haven't really talked to Jeff or Kev to much about it. Jeff is super excited about the WSOP, obviously. All of these calculations I have done on my own, if I'm wrong about them I apologize.

stp
  • Guys, I apologize for being absent the last couple days. I've been laid up in bed with the flu. Kev, your concerns have not fallen on deaf ears. I will first say that my post of 88 players was likely wrong. It was a hasty post to let everyone know who the winner was, because I felt people would be happy to hear that Jeff took it down. I have not had a chance to speak with Josh, so I do not have final numbers, but I would guess there were more than 88 players. I do want to put in a small disclaimer to state that I was not the organizer of the tournament. Josh was the soul organizer and benefactor for the event. The only compensation I recieved for the tournament was $275 paid towards my entry in return for my work in generating interest for the event. That said, I realize that I did affiliate myself with the event, and as a result I do hold some responsiblity towards finding out the correct numbers. I will do my best to answer everyones questions. Give me a couple days to get a hold of Josh.

Kev, if you would like to post your complaints about the dealers, I will also bring those complaints to Josh's attention.
  • Hi all and thanks for the reply AcesFull.
    My last post unfortunately comes across as snappy and unhappy, which is uncalled for and I apolagize. I think reading that the tourney had 88 players here in a post concerned me and did set me off a little.
    I had a lot of fun playing this tourney and the club seems very established and is clean and must be safe. With flyers and posters and business cards flying all over the place, which include location, game type and amount of buyins posted on these ads, I can only assume this club is quasi-legal, or have at least covered their tracks somehow. I recommend playing in Azim's tournies at the Training Room.
    One other thing I would like to clear up were the prizes.
    Jeff, as winner, won his 10K WSOP seat along with airfare to and from Vegas as well as 6 night accomadations, which i can't wait to find out where they are (Rio maybe?).
    There were cash awards for 2-4th place, which were approx. $3500, $2200, and $1500.
    There were also 2 slot machines and tourney entry fee (for upcoming dates) prizes awarded to the rest of the final table.
    As fun as it is to do well and win money there were a few hiccups along the way and I hope noone is offended here with my concerns. Here are a few:

The first problem I had, didn't seem to bother anyone as neither me nor anyone else at my table ever mentioned it. Many of the players did not abide by the dealers request and were reminded numrous times about it. The dealer kept insisting that anytime a player opened for a bet or a raise that the player would announce the numerical value. This may not seem like a big deal to some or most. There are rules in place to ensure raises are accounted for and legit As long as players know these rules there should never be a problem. Speaking your bets and raises is not a rule. In poker and poker tournaments chips speak! Having to verbally announce any action is not a part of the game and can easily lead to tells being given off.

The second thing that bothered me in the night occurred maybe an hour into play. A player at my table, which was in the far corner all night as I started at the same table that we played the final at, asked for Josh and had a question. Josh came over and the player asked Josh what the payout was at the World Series for making the money. Meaning if you make the money at the World Series what is the minimum payout to those who just managed to survive the bubble. When Josh told the man that they pay out $4,000 to those who pass the bubble, I thought Id open my mouth and correct his answer. Well Josh certainly didn't agree with me and we started arguing back and forth, him saying that they surely pay out $4000 as they paid out a whopping 250 players last year. My argument of course was that although they did pay out 250 players that no player gets paid out less than the buyin amount and that the people who beat the bubble were all getting at least the $10000 that the original entry was worth. We argued back and forth maybe 4 times, by now the 2 adjoining tables were listening and wondering what the fight was about then what the answer was. I gave up my point and thought Id get back to game, of course all the players believed Josh as he clearly is the man in the know since he's running this tournament. No big deal here, just didn't understand why Josh was so firm in his beliefs when he clearly misinformed the players.

The next problem is one that happens in every tournament. We were now at the final table and I believe there were either 8 or 9 of us left when the following came up. The blinds were at 2K-4K and chips in play were either 500 value or 5000 value chips. 2 players folded to the short stack who had 1 chip left. He flipped it into the air, it bounced around maybe 2 or 3 times inside the circle and the man then said "allin". Im sure the players, like myself, knew the mans intent from the moment he tossed the chip, that being he was raising for all his 5K. Unfortunately his intent has nothing to do with it. The player in between us folds and before i act i ask the dealer to please explain that his action is a call. The dealer then explains that he said allin. I mentioned that his announcement was well after the chip was bouncing around in play. Once one other player at the table explained that he did say allin I gave up, I mean the difference in this 1K was absolutely meaningless anyways, and I was folding so again I gave up my argument. I would like to note however that instead of doing his job and asking the floor or something the dealer decided on his own that it would be a raise allin. Also, this being the final table, the dealer should not have to ask for floor. Josh as tournament director needs to be present at the final table, which he was not.

The final problem we had at the end of the night was with tipping the dealers. The moment Josh gave me the envelope with my cash prize for 2nd place, I knew we'd be there for awhile as Jeff had a lot of business to take care of. I would like to add, that as Josh paid me the envelope he very disretely let me know that it would be good if i took care of the dealers with a tip. Of course I have played enough to know that this is customary, but he absolutely did the right thing here as many players would overlook this part of winning. I knew I had to give something to the dealers, and so I went off onto the far corner table to count up my money and get a tip out for the dealers. I could be wrong but I was taught from my very first "live" tournament wins that 4% is what the big tippers pay. So i had my $3560 which was the correct payout. I knew there were 7 dealers who would be sharing in the tips from us players, so i grabbed $140 bucks out and set it in my pocket to give to the dealers. I should add that as I was going thru counting my money that 4 of the 7 dealers came over to see what i was doing and to try to make friends with me. When i was finished with my counting I went over to see what was happening with Jeff and the plans to get him a seat for the WSOP. Now all the dealers kinda stood around the table as Josh and Jeff went over details. One dealer plopped down at the end of the table being used for paperwork and started talking tips right away. I don't expect people to assume that Jeff and I know our stuff but there is no reason to assume we are complete amateurs either. The seated dealer started mentioning that there were in fact 7 dealers and that "it is customary to leave 5-10% for the dealers". He didnt cool down with the talk of tips at all. He proceeded to mention that "5% is customary, but that 10% would be much appreciated". Jeff of course didnt get any cash prize for this tourney, but he did pay 325 bucks to play. Jeff and I tried to talk a little amongst ourselves as to what we should do. I have a lot of tournament experiece for someone my age living in Canada, but even I was a little unaware of what the right thing is to do when a player wins a satellite where they likely never see any cash as a result of their win. The berating dealer didnt want to leave us alone. He explained that Jeffs prize was worth at least $14000, and again reminded us about the 5-10% customary tip.
    By now Jeff and I were very angry we were being hassled but of course wanted to leave something for the dealers. Jeff made it clear to me that these guys werten't being fair and he felt they didn't deserve so much, and that the way this one dealer was handling himself was only hurting what we would give. I agreed with Jeff entirely. I added 70 to the 140 I was still holding it in my pocket. Jeff started explaining to them that he doesn't have cash as it was an expensive night and he wasnt awarded any money. Jeff then threw the 70 bucks he found in his wallet onto the table and says here this is what Ive got. I once again added 70 to the pile and then put my $280 dollar tip in front of Josh and was ready to proceed to the door. Before we could get anywhere the seated dealer stood up and reached over the table, grabbed my tip with Jeffs counted the 350 bucks, then stopped us in out tracks by saying "this is it? from both of you??" Now we feel like complete assholes. We left after i mentioned Im broke and need this money.
    Last thing I wanted to mention: Not one dealer or Josh or anyone offered to safely walk me out to the car at 3am late that Saturday night.

When we got heads up Jeff and we made a deal netting me 20% of his action in the main event.
    GOOOOOOOOOOO JEFFFFFFF!!

Kevin
  • First of all Kev congrats to you and Jeff.

I am shocked at the behaviour of the dealers at this event. Begging for tips and complaining about what you choose to give is unacceptable behaviour. 10% tip on a tournament win....YA RIGHT. 2%-5% is a generous tip to leave. If you feel the dealers didnt deserve a tip then you have every right to not give them anything.

You also mentioned a dealer that wanted every player to announce the exact amount of their bets and raises I think I have had this dealer at my table before and I found it irritating. If a player pushes his stack of chips in and says all in he does not have to announce the exact amount of his bet unless one of the players remaining in the hand wants a count. Forcing every player to announce the exact amount of chips takes away some of the intimidation of the all in move. A dealer(or in some cases another player) automatically counting the exact amount of the all in bet without being asked to by a player remaining in the hand is encouraging one of the remaining players to call. The remaining player is thinking WOW this guy just bet all in I cant call that, than the dealer says it is $4250 to call, now the player thinks oh its only $4250 it looked like more than that....I can call $4250. IF the players remaining in the hand dont ask for a count than NOBODY BUT THE PLAYER WHO WENT ALL IN SHOULD ANNOUNCE THE EXACT AMOUNT OF THE BET.
  • IS CanadaKev a little hypocritical? I played with him at Turning Stone and gave him a CLINIC. I taught him so much that day. Basically I SCHOOLED him for free. Most clinics are not free and when they are, at the very least, you should tip the person that gave you the free lessons. CanadaKev, I am afraid to say, DID NOT tip me.
  • Dick Hertz wrote:

I am shocked at the behaviour of the dealers at this event. Begging for tips and complaining about what you choose to give is unacceptable behaviour. 10% tip on a tournament win....YA RIGHT. 2%-5% is a generous tip to leave. If you feel the dealers didnt deserve a tip then you have every right to not give them anything.

I have to say this.....

1)5%-8% is the norm, 2%-4% is NOT generous.

2) Josh and his crew just did my tournament on March 13th, and I had no problems at all. One person complained about one dealer, and the funny thing is that the 10 people at this players table complained to me about him.

3) Knowing that Josh and his crew are the organizers of the tourney and did not take a rake, I think 10% is fine, and if you can't afford to pay out 10% of your winnings because your broke....maybe you shouldn't have been gambling in the first place :eek: And I don't think that they were begging. My top 2 winners tipped less than 10% and they said "Thank you very much".

4) are you that self involved and that thick in the head, that you have to argue over something that really is irrelevent in the middle of a poker game....someone asked a question...an answer was given...if you think it is the wrong answer...you say "I think it's this"....they say no it's this..your an adult and say....nothing..shrug your shoulders..who cares...if you can't afford to payout a 10% tip....what they payout at the WSOP wont make a difference..because apperently you can't afford to go anyways.

Josh, if you happen to read this, I think you did an excelent job and will be doing all of our events, and yes I have been handing out you number to other people that are intrested in rentals.

Rob Spence
  • stpboy wrote:
    I beleive the payouts were:

1st WSOP prize package equaling 14KUSD
    2nd $3500
    3-8 I believe got some prizes, not cash.

If there were in fact 100 players, that would equal $32,500. Leaving approxiamately 5-8K unaccounted for, assuming the prizes didn't exceed $2000.00. I don't want to be a rat or anything but if someone on this forum got jipped 2nd place monies then it'd be nice to see some clarification on it. I haven't really talked to Jeff or Kev to much about it. Jeff is super excited about the WSOP, obviously. All of these calculations I have done on my own, if I'm wrong about them I apologize.

stp

I don't want to offend anybody, but what's the problem? People complaing about organizers making money really pisses me off...if they didn't organize, you'd still be playing home games..I don't see anyone calling up the WSOP organization and saying "Hey were's all the money that I can't do the math for????"

I don't get it, I want to play there for I pay, if I win, I win...If I don't, I'll try the next one....I don't bring a calculator to the game to see where the money goes..is there a winner...yes....did I have fun...yes...was it illegal..probbaly...am I going to cry the promoter made money...no..they might need the bail money...Thanks for a place to play :smile:
  • I don't think anyone begrudges the organizer making money. I think the issue here is more about the dealers. I've been to tournaments with Josh's dealers and for the most part they are very professional. But every bunch has a bad apple or two.
    Maybe they were just having a really bad day....whatever the case may be if the dealers were acting like that then they got way more than they deserved.

In any case with all the tournaments now you really can pick and choose which you will spend your hard earned money on.

Choose wisely grasshopper!

BCC55
  • I dont fully understand the hostility.
    I was not trying to be mean or offend anyone.
    As far as my little argument with Josh, i may have exaggerated about it being 4 times, but I made it very clear that I DID give up my argument, knowing that I was correct I may add. He did not give up his argument, and he was incorrect.
    I mentioned a few things about the dealers that affected my decision on what their tip should be.
    Please note I left 280 dollars of my 3560 payout. I consider this number to be absolutely ridiculous for what they deserved from one player, and felt pressured into leaving that much. Again this is my opinion and I understand you feel tippers should be more generous than I do.
    You mention that you know Josh didn't take a rake. I was unaware of that, but would still love to know what everyones 325 bucks went to.
    A tip is a tip, and tips SHOULD be based on performance, again in my opinion.

I don't know what to think of your response to stpboy.
    In my post I cleared up a little about the prizes. He clearly didn't know the exact payout and prizes, but Im sure he's sorry now for offending you.
    I am thankful Josh ran the tournament and I am thankful to many who run tournaments for us poker players. Expressing my concerns were actually intended to help for the future as to what could be done to make the players happy and more comfortable.

One last thing. Some players are more serious than others.
    For me, this is my job. I don't have any other source of income. I try to treat poker like a job, and it has become very clear that the more serious i take it and the more time i put in, the better I do.
    If I didn't worry about where all the money was going, I think I would be doing worse at "my job" than I am now.

ThickKev

Rob, were you present for this tournament in question?
  • rgspence wrote:
    I have to say this.....

1)5%-8% is the norm, 2%-4% is NOT generous.

Who made you the poker pro? See this thread and read what this forums pro had to say. http://pokerforum.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2406&highlight=2-4%25
    rgspnce wrote:
    2) Josh and his crew just did my tournament on March 13th, and I had no problems at all. One person complained about one dealer, and the funny thing is that the 10 people at this players table complained to me about him.

Hey, that's great that you are loyal to your crew. I would be to. Although, if they messed up or they were jerks about something I would talk to them about it. Josh is obviously treating this like a job, or an extra form of income, then he should treat his dealers like employees and players like customers. Could you imagine going to Fallsview and the dealer berating you for not tipping them more when they spiked your case card on the river? Honestly RG think about it.
    rgspence wrote:
    3) Knowing that Josh and his crew are the organizers of the tourney and did not take a rake, I think 10% is fine, and if you can't afford to pay out 10% of your winnings because your broke....maybe you shouldn't have been gambling in the first place :eek: And I don't think that they were begging. My top 2 winners tipped less than 10% and they said "Thank you very much".

You know they didn't take a rake? How do you know that? Were you there? Did you do the math? I've done the math, it doesn't work out. Kevin was likely jipped on a 2nd spot to the WSOP. If they informed the players up front of the rake or payouts then hey NO PROBLEM. But I haven't seen that anywhere. As Kevin said earlier, I apologize for not knowing exactly what the payouts were. I didn't mean to offend. I appreciated the response from AcesFull but do not like the way you have come in to this thread attacking people that you don't even know. Remember, I'm not saying this on anyone's behalf. Kevin has been more then respectable and patient through all of this. Likely much more than 90% of the population. Likely because he knows that he'll get his spot sooner or later. You talk about him like he is some chump that spent his rent money on a poker game, got lucky and went home clutching the $3500 he won. Not a great way to prove your point, especially when you are dead wrong.
    rgspence wrote:
    4) are you that self involved and that thick in the head, that you have to argue over something that really is irrelevent in the middle of a poker game....someone asked a question...an answer was given...if you think it is the wrong answer...you say "I think it's this"....they say no it's this..your an adult and say....nothing..shrug your shoulders..who cares...if you can't afford to payout a 10% tip....what they payout at the WSOP wont make a difference..because apperently you can't afford to go anyways.

Unreal. That's disgraceful.
    rgspence wrote:
    Josh, if you happen to read this, I think you did an excelent job and will be doing all of our events, and yes I have been handing out you number to other people that are intrested in rentals.

Just to clear a few things up. I don't know Josh and I don't know if the tourny was raked at all or raked hard. It would be nice to get some clarification for the public forum viewers. Noone here appreciates the attitude that Rob is giving, especially me. There is no need to insult or berate someone and show the lack of class that some people are showing. If anyone wants answers to questions they may have in a public forum, they should be able to ask them without being insulted. You post here for your games. People are going to ask questions, be prepared to ask them. I do recall you responding the same way when people questioned you about your own tournament Rob Spence. Why so hostile, hiding something?

stp
  • Hi all Josh here, the organizer of Saturdays WSOP satelite. I would love to make my first post out here on this forum. I read them all but choose today to chime in.
  • First of all congratulations to our winner Jeff. He and Kev played a solid game, adn are deserving of thier finish. It is good to see Kev has such a good horse running for him in July.

I would also like to thank rqspense for all of his kind words and support. My crew had great fun at your event, and you and Terry are a couple of real classy guys. It is hard to meet true gentlemen in this game, and you both are great for our sport. I really look forward to working with you again, and I would be honoured to help you out.

Speaking of class. I want to fully explain to the readers of this thread that I have had extensive discussion with the dealers in question from saturday night. It is an ulgy thing to see the dealers crash onto money winners liek a pack of wolves. i discourage this practice, and have told both gentlemen if I ever saw anything the likes of that again at one of my events they would be history. They are like emplyees, and I am sorry it had to happen the way it did. Tips...no tips.......I have veiws on tipping. Some people think that is should be about service and if a guy sucked or was bad, or classless, he should get nothing..........even so.....these guys are not monkeys who need to jump through hoops to get their snacks from players. yeah a coupel of the guys acted real stupid, and I resent them for it (it looks bad on me, and it's my business)..........I do feel however that players should know that all the hard working dealers split it all. I would hate to have a player hold back some hard earned money from good people based on some classless move os a few. They have been told, and I am embarassed about the whole thing.

I feel I should clarify a few things about the evening. We had 90 players turn out. Yes I originally posted a cap at 88. 90 showed up what can I say. I am in the business of trying to please as many as possible. while I officially went back on my word regarding a cap, I pulled the 11th player off of several tables to create a ninth. If that was of huge concren to anyone, I appologize for simply not keeping my word. In reality I don't think it affected the game a great deal, and it was my aim to please as many as possible. I am asking people to understand the fine balance I walk in pleasing others, and managing concerns. All in all I thnk we all had a great time. And I think we all should know once and for all how things worked out.

Once again I promissed in an email that based on 88 players I would pay out a seat, and approximately 8500 down to 6th. I felt in the days leading up to the event, that I wanted more people to win stuff. The more people that leave happy the better. So I hatched this plan to thin the prize pool out to tenth. I also wanted to be unique in doing so. I know that the slot machines did not go over well with some..........but I have to tell you the winner of both were enthrawled, and loved them. It seems the be irrelivant now but those who did not liek the idea to begin with never became involved in winning them. So in my mind......a problem averted. During the tourney I heard snickers and comments........All I could think was, jeez.......guys try and win the seat.....you did not come here to finish 5th or 6th and shut up about the stupid machines. I am gald they went to people who appreciated them. They have a retail value of approx 800 each for those interested and I did have to buy them I did get a good deal and made a few dollars on the deal by putting them in as prizes but that is my business.......any ways failed experiment......and on to the next point.

Every event I run, holds learnign for me, about people, about the way things shoudl be done. Every tourney for me is a learning process. I have put together major tourneys for about 2 years now. I am still learning and really do appreciate the concerns adn critisism and praise regarding my efforts.
    I read almost every post, adn feel honoured in a way that my event made such a splash on this forum. Thank you for that. I truly do appologize for any ill feelings towards the little show I put on every once in a while, because of a staff member or an expected structure. I have grown in this experience and feel that I need to be more stringent about a lan I lay out and stick it. While some people appreciated a thinned out prize pool down to 10th, other may not have simply based on the fact that it was not laid out that way in the beginning.

As for the structure for those interested.
    90 players x 325 = 29250
    minus 15% (4380) for 9 dealers (100 each) a registration desk girl (100) 750 food catering and drinks, and me reaching 24870
    Minus 800 for rent of the Training room (700 to the house and 100 to the guy who cleaned up and worked all night) leaving us with 24070 roughly in the pool
    14000 was held back to pay for Jeffs trip and his 10000Us seat leaving us with about 10000 to slpit down to 10th.
    That 10000 was above my original estimate of 8500 as posted in info emails leading up, so I filled it up with cash and prizes as close to that amount as possible.

1st seat
    2nd 3560
    3rd 2100
    4th 1550
    5th slot worth 800 retail
    6th slot worth 650 retail
    7th 325
    8th 250 seat at future tourney
    9th 200 seat at furture tourney
    10th 90 seat at future tourney
    Bubble Chip set

Look guys I did not get rich off this thing, I just like putting on a good show. I am learning that people like money money money. Prizes.....well they are not for everyone. Especially not for guys that have made poker a job. Which is fine. i am still learning how to please as many people as possible. Please respect the fine bance that can be.

I don't wat to leave a sour taste with anyone. I want to run lots of fun events that people enjoy. I know that the majority di realle enjoy themselves and that makes me feel good.
    I will come out here and say I would liek to run yet another WSOP satellite before we get there. I can do it. And I could certainly do it better. I am growing and learning and pledge to make a sincere effort to provide a reliable fun game that everyone can feel comfortable participating in. I literally bust my ass making these things go off, and when I look at a full rom of players, and know that I am sending one of them off to live one of my dreams, I feel very proud. I hope that any reading this thread understand my passion for it. I am not a shiester, or some underground operation looking for the latest buck. i am the real deal. a motivated individual who loves putting on good show.

Along with learnign and growing, I do want everyone to know that I take the dealer thing very seriously. If anything makes me look bad that will. I actually run a little side operation called "Holdem for Hire" where I rent out my premium Holdem tables and dealers and equipment and tourney and fame coordination for stags, and other events. It is for this reason that I must be carefull about the people I choose to employ. I am super embarassed about how my guys acted and once again appologize. They have been told. It is amazing how a few bad words in this business can screw you. that is why I felt it nessesary to come out here tonight and lend a few words.

Canadakev, I stand corrected on the WSOP payouts disagreement. I checked it out. We all talk shit sometimes. I talked shit. But I had no idea it set you off so hard. I was just a guy who was posing for the moment. The table agreed with me because I have garnered a level of respect from them. I am sorry to have let them down in that little way, but please know that even though we have had very little interaction between us and the interaction was not completely positive......I have earned their respect for a reason. I am sure you will all realize that I am genuine and dedicated, and and all around nice guy. I would love to have you and any guys you feel would have fun, participate in my events in the future, with my pledge that I will learn, grow, and handle things in an increasingly more proffessional manour, given that that seems to be the trend regarding what people want out of a poekr tourney. It used to be a simple gathering....alomst anything goes......now it has become a sport, and I am excited about treating it as such and adding a more stringent and scrutinizing structure to it all. It can only make my events better as we go. i would ask all of you to follow me there aswell when the event comes about.

If anyone would like to conatct me directly about tables, dealers, or comments please reach me at
    647-999-0089. i would love to hear from you.

And please keep an eye out for super satellites into my WSOP satellite 2!! comming soon.
    I will pull it off if people seem to want to try again.

Thanks all again, I will read all comments
    and thanks again to ACESFULL, and AZIMK for all their help, and to RQspence fro the kind words.

Josh Leichner (River Rat)
  • And to clear up my opinion on tipping..........

I deal cards as part of my little "holdem for hire" venture.

I have found that anywhere from 4 to 8% is a nice tip. It depends on whether there is a split with others (most of the time), but for the most part. I feel staunchly about the need to tip a dealer. In most places they get paid less than 100$ for an event. I basically started my operation paying paying dealers at least 100$ becuase I have had needs in the past renting tables, dealers, and stuff, and seen how people are used, and basically sublet out for 25bucks an hour, and actually only getting to keep 75 or 80$. I have also seen dealers that not only don't get paid, and work solely on tips, they have to kick back to the house on top of that.

When I started my "Holdem for Hire thing" one of my mission statements was to undercut the people I had dealt with and treat my dealers right. That beeing said good people are hard to find, and that is a work in progress. For the most part I pride myself in making sure a dealer gets his or her due. I woudl simply say to players, if they notice a multiple dealer situation, there will always be an equal split (in my operations anyway)....so if you have a bad experience with one or two, just take into consideration that they all want to get to their 200$+ for the night, and that includes the hard working good ones. That kind of money keeps them hungry and excited to work, and most of the time (not all) that breeds gracious motivated and good manoured people who are reliable and excited to work. Sure I could pay em 75$ BUCKS and I would probably get an unreliable unfriendly person who can't ever feel like it is more than a stupid job. I want people to feel liek they have something good going. It just breeds good fun in the long run for everyone. At 75 bucks it becomes just another job at near minimum wage.....and for grown adults.....that can't be too exciting.
    Something to think about when any of you cash out next time.

As for the behaviour we witnessed and read about........I completely seperate myslef from that if I can, and say that it is ugly, nasty and classless to move in on money winners like hungry wolves.
    Tip what you feel is appropriate. Dealers inherintly have a problem with people who tighten up when they win. The see it as found money "share the wealth"..........it may be shortsighted, but you will go a long way to making someone feel good about the job they did and feel good about yourself if you chop out a nice gratuity. I woudl even promote a player shaking a dealers hand and telling them if they did a good job,........you will see something interesting from most people. You will see Pride in thier eyes.....you will see thanks in their eyes.........important stuff, about human nature that we sometimes take for granted. "Self Actualization" ...a sense of acheivement.............and pride....in a job well done......

I bet you didn't know you could affect a human being in this way with something as simple as an ample tip at a poker game. I did not mean to go deep into it, but respect breeds respect, and last time I checked we all want respect. And if respect isn't important to you on any given day.......well thats another Forum thread altogether..........
    Just my thoughts in a nutshell on tipping...... ( a large nutshell)

Thanks all for reading again.........
    Josh (River Rat)
  • Josh,

That was a great reply, thank you for it. I'm very intestested in playing in the next one as I had already told Jeff and Kevin that. Glad to hear you take it so seriously and weren't sour about explaining a few things. You seem like a stand up guy. Looking forward to the next one so I can fly down with Jeff and Kev.

stp
  • Josh, thanks for the reply. Myself and other non-attendees (I'm sure) were interested to hear your side. We can now see both sides and make our own calls..

Tipping. Thanks for the insight and view from the other side. With so many new players joning this game someone needs to inform them. I had a friend under-tip(despite my protest) a dealer the other night and he will now be receiving a link to this page.. :)

Rake. We all know there is going to be a rake and expect it, sometimes we do not know how much. This is where the problems arise imoho. If organizers would break it down(most do :) ) in the buy in amount this would be cleared up.($275+$50) This way players can decide in advance if it is too much and whether or not they want to participate.

Stick to your plan. When I originally heard about the satellite game I was excited about playing in it. Then another post was advertised calling it a satellite but announced cash as prizes. :confused: This was confusing but then it was explained that yes it was a satellite but it was now open for the final players to decide. :confused: At this point I lost interest because it seemed to me that this event may not be organized very well. Since I did not know anyone that was involved personally I decided to play it safe and pass.

Now that I have heard your reply and can see how serious you take your events I will plan on attending some, hopefully the next wsop satellite! :)

Good luck with your future events! :)

Bill
  • Josh - I wanted to say that I think this game, forum thread and situation in general were all well managed.

I run some large games (in terms of number of players - relatively small atakes) and I appreciate how hard it is to organize and execute. Your attitude, words and reputation all point to a positive contributor. There will always be disagreements and problems. Keeping a cool head and maintaining a high level of customer service will keep you and your games afloat.

Cheers.

Noah
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    Josh - I wanted to say that I think this game, forum thread and situation in general were all well managed.

Tell me I am not guilty of man-flirting please. I am the first to point it out usually, so I have to call myself on it too, but I am hoping beyond all hope that this doesn't qualify!
  • Thanks guys for getting a good read ont he situation. I wish to get to know all of you better.

And about those mini satellites. They were only offered as cash games, if one had already won thier seat in a previous mini satellite. We play so many in a night. So I figured that if someone made it and won a seat in to my big game, that if they wanted to sit again, they could take the cash or another seat........Never was there a cash payout to a first time winner. My objective was to fill seats first and foremost. I am sorry you got a different skew on it.

Some of the positive spin on our latest forum posts are motivating me to get it going so look out for it guys. It is comming. With the help of Acesfull, AzimK, and other like rqspence we can make this one better than the last.

I am open to suggestions though regarding structure. I will make the final call but all suggestions are welcome. I like the freeze out idea, but rebuy tourneys generate so much more cash in the pool. I want to make this one more affordable so maybe rebuys are the answer. a 200 buy in with 100 rebuys maybe. that way, we still get to the 14,000 needed to pay for the seat and trip, and not everyone will have to dip into thier pockets for the full 3 bills. I would love to make it cheaper like 250 and have it a freeze out again, but for that we need the numbers, and a smaller game is preffered. Maybe we will do a 7 table tourney with a 250 buy in. That would provide the tourney with 19.5 thousand to cover expenses a 14000 first prize, and leave about 1800 for a second prize.
    Sure the prize pool would be smaller, but so is the entry fee. Once again I would have to pre register it and take deposits. It went well last time like that........and this time it would be capped.

Does anyone think that they could live with a seat to give away and only have a second prize of about 1800. Would it fly. My thinking would be to have the 77 players. take 15% to pay dealers, food, staff and administration.

I am just floating the idea here......

I want to do this again and do it better. I could hit up my new connection at Newyorkpoker.com to get some sponsorship and richen the priz pool a bit.............any other ideas.........

Josh (River Rat)
  • Josh - I wanted to say that I think this game, forum thread and situation in general were all well managed.
    MAN.
    Your attitude, words and reputation all point to a positive contributor.
    FLIRTING.