***Official*** - Don't fear the Reaper thread

Comments

• moose wrote: »
    Palmer, great loss, OTOH, I will never mourn, nor will I call it a great tragedy when a dumb ass drives his boat full speed into a jetty in the dark. Darwin award winner tho...

From what I understand, he was not the only one on board and no mention of who was driving the boat.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Every PGA Tour pro should get down on their knees to thank the almighty for Arnold Palmer. They would not be making the kind of money they do without him.

Not to take away from Arnie but golf didn't go main stream until Tiger. Golf was moving in the direction because of Arnie and Jack, but the numbers didn't change to big numbers until Tiger; both those watching and the money that could be won.

After Tiger had his meltdown, the numbers dropped. Nike has even cancel it Golf Division be Rory can' do for it what Tiger could do.

I am sure there will be a nice tribute at the Masters and I will be looking forward to it.

Prophet22
  • Not to take away from Arnie but golf didn't go main stream until Tiger. Golf was moving in the direction because of Arnie and Jack, but the numbers didn't change to big numbers until Tiger; both those watching and the money that could be won.

After Tiger had his meltdown, the numbers dropped. Nike has even cancel it Golf Division be Rory can' do for it what Tiger could do.

I am sure there will be a nice tribute at the Masters and I will be looking forward to it.

Prophet22

Due respect, but that's horse shit. Before Arnie, you had not TV presence, minimal crowds but for the largest tournaments, and little trans-Atlantic travel by pros. Who says so? Every golf historian and writer. And they were saying it before Arnie died.

Arnie brought crowds, he brought TV, and he brought ratings. Did Tiger boost those numbers higher? Absolutely. But it is far easier to increase ratings that are already solid and robust, than it is to take a fledgling sports product (from the marketing and TV perspective) and make it a successful going concern. Arnie did that, with help from Nicklaus and Player. But it was Arnie who drove the bus.
  • Leonard Cohen was 82
  • Milo wrote: »
    Leonard Cohen was 82

Ugh 2016, seriously, go fuck yourself with all these treasures being lost.

Mark
  • Napoleon Solo, the man from UNCLE, sometimes known as Robert Vaughn, was 83
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Ugh 2016, seriously, go fuck yourself with all these treasures being lost.

Mark
    We still zsa zsa. :)
  • Leon Russell was 74
  • Great Canadian LPGA golfer Dawn Coe Jones dies of cancer at 56.
  • Janet Wright 71

Brent's mom on Corner Gas
  • Florence Henderson was Mrs Brady, she was also 82 when she passed.
  • Fidel Castro dead at 90
  • Shepherd Book, or Detective Ron Harris, depending on your age . . . Ron Glass is dead at only 71
    Shepherd Book, or Detective Ron Harris, depending on your age . . . Ron Glass is dead at only 71

Ah, damn. Loved Barney Miller.
  • Absolutely LOVED the bass riff from the theme music.
  • Fidel Castro dead at 90

Disgustingly "tone-deaf" comments from our PM as well as a local NDP MPP in relation to Castro. Has prompted a hilariously funny Twitter meme, though. #trudeaueulogies.
  • FUCK OFF, 2016 !!!

Andrew Sachs, the brilliant Manuel on Fawlty Towers, is dead at age 86.
  • MOTHERFUCKER !!! Van Williams, the titular "star" of the Green Hornet, died today at age 82. Come on, karma, there are still 3 weeks left to do you work on Zsa Zsa.

After the year that has passed you OWE us this one.
    Come on, karma, there are still 3 weeks left to do you work on Zsa Zsa.

After the year that has passed you OWE us this one.

Ridiculous Comment, even if it was suppose to be a joke!
  • Ridiculous Comment, even if it was suppose to be a joke!

CLEARLY does not understand what this thread is about.
    CLEARLY does not understand what this thread is about.

Let me see if I got this straight.

You want someone to die 3 weeks before Christmas so you can win 5.00?
  • Huh? Dead Pool is over, Brent . . . the joke is that Zsa Zsa is indestructible. Or are you referring to my wager with johnnieH. Because that has a rollover component if she survives 2016.
  • Makes me want to revive dead pool though, Brent you in?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Makes me want to revive dead pool though, Brent you in?

Not much point . . . you can't ALL pick Zsa Zsa . . . and who else is left?
  • God speed, John Glenn. Last of the Mercury 7 astronauts immortalized in the classic, The Right Stuff.
  • Folks . . . if you all wish to keep posting in here, feel free. This will be my last entry in this thread. After the passing of my Father in the summer, I find myself not wanting to bother with anything related to the subject of mortality. It has been somewhat of a downer for me coming to this thread to add names, even though my connection is of a tenuous one at best. I have tried to be a more upbeat person over the last few months, and this sort of thing just does not help me do that.

Sorry, but I am going to stop now.
  • Alan Thicke, 69, died of a heart attack while playing hockey.
    Folks . . . if you all wish to keep posting in here, feel free. This will be my last entry in this thread. After the passing of my Father in the summer, I find myself not wanting to bother with anything related to the subject of mortality. It has been somewhat of a downer for me coming to this thread to add names, even though my connection is of a tenuous one at best. I have tried to be a more upbeat person over the last few months, and this sort of thing just does not help me do that.

Sorry, but I am going to stop now.

Sorry for your loss. When my dad died it effected me a lot more than I thought it would. I think about him a lot.
  • While I enjoy this thread because it celebrates the life of those who have passed, I have never liked the concept of Dead Pools which only celebrate deaths.