NL Tournament hand ...

Here is a hand someone recently posted and I gave him my advice on. I would be interested to see if you have the same advice.

Single table tournament, blinds: 10-15, stack size 2000 (average 1000 with nine players left). UTG AA.

Player raised to $35 and two people called behind him. Flop came 544 with two hearts. UTG bets out $100 and had one caller. Turn comes 4. UTG bets out $300 and had one caller. River comes A. UTG bets out $300 and caller goes all-in for slightly more. Naturally UTG calls and see K4o.

I suggested to this player that his opening raise was probably too small - he should raise 3-4 times the big blind - probably making it $60 would have been better. Other option would be limping in and trying to trap someone, but that would depend on how his table was playing (i.e. aggressive or passive).

Otherwise I told him that it is unlikely he could have got away from his hand once the turn comes and puts 3 fours on it. It is difficult to put someone on quads, and the money wasn't deep enough for him to get into a position where he could fold. I indicated that when he called the flop bet I would have been worried (by the call) that the player had a bare four, and in general I would consider checking the turn.

Anyway, I don't see how he gets away from this hand against a player that starts it with roughly $800 in chips, especially when he spikes the ace on the river and has nut tight.

Comments?

Comments

• I suggested to this player that his opening raise was probably too small - he should raise 3-4 times the big blind - probably making it $60 would have been better.

One of the great conundrums of A-A. If you raise too much you don't get any action and you WANT action. It is a shameful waste of A-A if all you win the blinds.

As a matter of fact, K-4 is sort of a dream come true for aces. Depending on the suits A-A is around a 85% to win the hand. That is a HUGE favourite. Of course... when the big money went in A-A was not longer that big a favourite.

Generally I think in the situation described thre is no way around the outcome. The size of the raise might be too small but it only attracted two callers so it feels about right. I am happy to play A-A post flop against two opponents.

After that given that the A-A is a big stack and the K-4 is not... I am going to lose the 800 to K-4.