Excusable?

Haven't played much this year but made it out to a few dailies. Feeling like I'm a bit rusty, but it's coming back.

Saturday went to play the $50 early bird at DFIC. Right out the gate won a nice pot with Ace high (I lead river) and it wasn't long before I was 2 to 3 times average all the way to final 2 tables. I was sitting at about 26k from 5k start stack when things went sideways...I wasn't planning on getting too out of line since 31k would be final table chips so figured ahead of pace.

Out of big blind 500/1000 with 72 I flopped 2 pair on two diamond board. I bet 2500 to be called by competent player in big stack 2 over. Turn was harmless but bet 3k only to see board pair 5s with diamond on river. If he's floating so be it, but I figure the counterfeit more than flush card fucks me here. I have no kicker, top pair on the flop now beats me and the flush draw got there. I check fold to his 3k bet. Left em out in the cold?

At about 15 or 16 players I decided to open up a bit, had only 15k left and hadn't been playing rag aces but decided to open with Ace 4. BB defends and flop comes A,6,9 all spades. I bet and the way he called I felt very safe he didn't have spade. I didn't either. I don't remember the bet sizing but I know I was commiting or folding turn. He was similar stacked. Turn is 4 for aces up, I bet half my stack and he stuffs all in. I prob could have thought longer but I snap trusting he doesn't have flush. He asks if I do and shows A9 for better two pair.

I don't hate busting there either than against that field I should player less vulnerable hands but figure I should be good on that board with that read (no flush) a ton. Thoughts?

Felt good to actually PLAY some poker though

Comments

• That's the problem playing A-4, better aces have you crushed. Not a big fan of raising with less than 15BBs, its all in or fold.

The 7-2 hand you just got unlucky.