in the SB with AQs

Is this just a normal raise or should I just ship it ? If I make a standard 6x raise and miss the flop, then what. Should I just call and see a cheap flop ?

PokerStars Hand #106762072214: Tournament #811030478, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (50/100) - 2013/11/09 15:15:58 ET
Table '811030478 530' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: edgess (2770 in chips)
Seat 2: djgolfcan (2555 in chips)
Seat 3: Potsel (1595 in chips)
Seat 4: whatafishCPH (13815 in chips)
Seat 5: krejtitrent (5035 in chips)
Seat 6: skiderik75 (2265 in chips)
Seat 7: gkoko444 (2560 in chips)
Seat 8: andy verstr (3720 in chips)
Seat 9: BenjiBenj (3315 in chips)
edgess: posts the ante 10
djgolfcan: posts the ante 10
Potsel: posts the ante 10
whatafishCPH: posts the ante 10
krejtitrent: posts the ante 10
skiderik75: posts the ante 10
gkoko444: posts the ante 10
andy verstr: posts the ante 10
BenjiBenj: posts the ante 10
djgolfcan: posts small blind 50
Potsel: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to djgolfcan [Qc Ac]
whatafishCPH: calls 100
krejtitrent: folds
skiderik75: folds
gkoko444: calls 100
andy verstr: folds
BenjiBenj: calls 100
edgess: folds
djgolfcan: ??

Comments

• awkward spot, I probably make it 350-400 and play poker from there!
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    awkward spot, I probably make it 350-400 and play poker from there!

Good, glad I'm not the only one that thought it wasn't clear cut. Should be some interesting discussion.
  • Since the pot is 540, it is about 25% increase if you take it down here. Also you have 25bbs and I think average is at 35bbs.

you are in the small blind; playing out of position is going to be tough if you don't hit, specially if you get two callers. I think i would jam.
  • I don't think I jam pre with 25BBs (less than 20BBs I ship, BTW).

You're getting 11-1 odds if you flat and you have a great drawing (but not made) hand. And being in the SB makes you first to act after the flop, so you can jam if you hit or if it's a really dry board, making it harder for players to call with only 2 cards to come.

OR, you could just check-fold or check-call a small bet on the flop, and not put a lot of chips at risk when you're soooo OOP.

But to answer your question, no, it's not cut and dry, IMO.
  • i know what i would do,....ship it....
  • marban wrote: »
    i know what i would do,....ship it....

But why would you ship it ?
  • If you ship it the limpers will most likely fold.
    Unless one of them is holding a small pair and decides to gamble, then you are in a race.

If you call you are letting 3 in to see the flop, hard to know if you are good here if you do hit.

If you raise, you are out of position. You may narrow the field or take it down with this show of strength. If you get a caller then i make the c bet no matter what.

I am shipping it here. At worse I am in a race with 2 under cards.

Depending on my mood and the table I am either raising or shipping, never calling.
  • min raise call the shove
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    But why would you ship it ?
    there are 3 limpers....you got aq..a raise of 400 to 500, wont cut it if you want to take it down pre flop especially if those limpers, called raises, previosly, only you know that.....so if you make it more..like 750 to 1000, to get folds.. thereby risking a third or more of your stack...imo you may as well stick it all in there.....im shoving in that spot each and every time..
  • No one looks to strong, so I would ship it and hope for the best.
  • With the pot at 540 and having less than 5 times in chips, I would jam - unless I have stats or notes on any of the three limpers that they like to limp-trap with a monster. Raising to 600 would make the SPR less than 1.7 and I would feel pot-committed anyway on the flop.
  • Reads on the UTG limper?

I mean, I'm shipping this allin almost all of the time. Just tons in there for the taking.