Dave How Would You Fair At 2000-4000

Dave,

Your a semi-professional poker play from what I understand, if I gave you the $1.2 million bankroll (the 300bb rule for the 2000-4000 Limit), sat you down with other poker professionals that are used to playing 2000-4000, a table full of 10 including yourself, would you still be able to win at this table using concepts at the 30/60,100/200 range.Let's assume that your oppenets are all similar in skill level and aren't too crazy,

could you still show a profit?, or does it take a special type of pro to be able to play past say 150/300?

Just an interested fishy :wink:

P.

Comments

• Wow. Great question.

Would I be a profitable player at $2000-4000?

No. Not at first.

My trips to the WSOP have taught me that you need to play up levels to be able to play AT that level. My assumption is that at the 2000-4000 level you are dealing with a VERY HIGH density of skilled players. So, although I am sure that I am equipped with the “balls” to play at that level and I have the skills and theoretical background to understand what is being done, it would take some time to acclimatize and become a break even player.

Poker is about situations. The frequency of unfamiliar situations at that level would be very high. That means, I would be making a lot of errors initially. And, I am certain that I would initially make too many errors to show a profit. I would, I like to think, adapt quickly. After a $500,000 loss for instance. Heh.

Does it take a special type of pro?

I takes a couple of things: (1) Fearlessness – which I like to think I have; and (2) Adaptability – which I also like to think that I have.

An awful lot of players are, truly, rigid. They think of themselves as adaptable, but they aren’t really. Rigid players will get eaten alive in the den of foxes that a $2000-4000 game is likely to boast. There will not be one or two players who can spot and exploit your rigid weaknesses – there will be seven or eight. It will not be pretty.

I would be really interested to hear others answers to this question:
    You are going to be playing a $2000-4000 game at the Belagio. What do you do to prepare yourself?
    And, if you are offering the $1.2 million I am game to try. I will give you 75% of all profit.

• You are going to be playing a $2000-4000 game at the Belagio. What do you do to prepare yourself?

Toke the poker room staff enough dough so that they would let me sit and watch the game for about a month.

ScottyZ
  • I think the right answer here (to prepare) :

Play 1500-3000.

Im not trying to be facetious, but I totally agree that you have to work your way up through levels because its a new ballgame.

I am relatively new to B&, poker but have worked my way from a losing 2/5 player to a winning 6/12 player in about a year. But each step has been harder than the last. But like you say, adaptability is the key.