Is this really spwey?

Blinds 50c/1 Dollar.

min buy in 20.. max 50 at local poker club.. i almost always buy in for 50 but did not want to walk across the street to the atm so I bought in for 33.. and had a little more then a double up..most people at the table will only buy in for the min and then rebuy if they bust out..seems silly to me why not buy in for the max but whatever

I have straddled to 2 dollars and the entire table has called.. I look down and see QJDD... all the limpers just seems like dead money.. so i raise 10 dollars more.. not really expecting to get called and if they did couold probably outplay them post... there is one big LAG at the table but the others are pretty conservative.. not really expecting any calls unless they have monsters.

So everyone folds except small blind who tanked.. thinking he might have 77,88.. AQ.. and the flop comes 9 9 10.

He bets really small of 5 and I raise to 25 which pretty much would put his entire stack in.. he had i believe 35 behind.. he quickly folded.

Was my pre flop raise to big? I don't like to raise that much.. I think normally I'd make it 7 or so but just feel too many people would limp.

Comments

• You're overthinking the hand, imo. There's no post-flop play with 10-20bb. Just move all in pre flop.
  • Macke wrote: »
    I have straddled to 2 dollars

Yes, this is spewy.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Yes, this is spewy.

Mark

I agree. People straddle for 2 reasons.

1) To make the game bigger than it is (bigger bankrolls).
    2) Because they are very good postflop players.

You dont appear to fall into either bucket.

This isnt a jab. There are very few players on this forum that I would suggest profitably straddle.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

This isnt a jab. There are very few players on this forum that I would suggest profitably straddle.

You forgot 3) to appear cool.
    And. 4) tilt older regs.

Agree on the very few players who can profitably do this. However I love it when other players do it...
  • You're overthinking the hand, imo. There's no post-flop play with 10-20bb. Just move all in pre flop.

This.

And

You raised 10 into a pot of $20. I'm surprised you either didn't get everyone calling again, (any caller is getting 3:1 on his money), or at least three shoves behind you. Anyways you had air on the flop and no callers. Unsure why you felt this was a bad result?
  • Macke wrote: »
    max 50 at local poker club..
    There's actually a poker club that limits the buy-in to only 50 BB or $50? How many BB is the max rake?

Where did you get the idea to straddle in a 50 BB game? Most of the shortstackers' decisions should be all-in or fold by the flop. With $20 already in the pot, neither the $10 nor $7 raise are "spewy" but very silly; if you are going to raise, it should be with all of your remaining $31.
  • Nothing wrong with a bet, win on the flop. Pre-flop raise seems fine, although in this short stack game most players will feel committed on this flop.

Never heard of a 'club' with blinds this low. I would probably be pushing blind every hand at $50 max just to watch the tight players tilt out.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

I can straddlez?
  • compuease wrote: »
    And. 4) tilt older regs.

Agree on the very few players who can profitably do this. However I love it when other players do it...

pishah...I straddle to make manies

looking cool is just a side effect
  • compuease wrote: »
    And. 4) tilt older regs.

5) They are drunk.

I play a little .25/.50 cent home game every few months with some friends and by the end of the evening it's not uncommon for pots to be straddled, re-straddled, and then straddled again because gambling.
  • +1

The important thing is that the double straddle and quad straddle are contagious.