Where can forum members buy a sense of humor?

I have been amazed at the level of animosity in the recent days on the forum. I have been added to ignore lists, insulted, been called a cheater, been told I have no class, and been subject to a variety of other nasty little tirades.

I have thick skin and I am generally able to maintain a level of patience with people who I think overreact to things. In a few threads I have had some pretty strong disagreements with people and a little patience on my part (as well as the other folks in the discussion) has resulted in us agreeing to disagree (look at the "can I see that Hand" thread). No biggie. No respect was lost, I like to believe, and I gained another point of view, although I don't plan on altering my original opinion. As I understand it, that's the whole purpose of this bloody forum.

I recommend that people take a minute to read, comprehend, re-read, understand that you are not necessarily the voice of reason, and think about your response before reacting to something you dislike. It will save aggravation on your part and the part of the original poster. Also take a second and try to see if the poster was making a cute, smartass remark, as opposed to a mean and nasty dig at you.

I like to think I have a sense of humor. Sometimes I might use humor inappropriately, but it is all well intentioned. I find that people have taken stuff WAY too seriously here in several situations lately. I am happy to look in the mirror and search my own behaviour for faults and I find nothing major - maybe failing to know my audience before I slip in a little jab. I DO happen to not suffer fools well, and I lose patience with people who refuse to take a joke for what it is, but otherwise, I have found this place to be a nice, laid back, well articulated community. If I have offended anyone with a poorly timed joke, I suppose I apologize (I would have to be asked explicitly to make it official) and want to be your friend again. I think that would go for the majority of people here, but we can all find the exceptions.

There are certain individuals who seem to think that they are special, when in fact we are all God's creations. I have slow rolled cards, I have check raised in a home game and I have table talked before. I admit it. I would be hard to convince that we're all saints here. I have a great deal of respect for posters here until they prove otherwise. I guess all I am asking for is a little tolerance on this forum, we seem to be taking ourselves very seriously lately. And if you disagree, kiss my ASS!

PS (that last part was a joke for those of you at whom this mini-rant is directed)

Comments