Need some input.

Im thinking about a 88 person tourney which will be run like a WSOP main event>

Starting with 10K in chips with blinds at 1/2 and going up every hour.
Freeze out tourny.
Start on Friday with three venues, 7pm - 2am
Saturday Noon-2am, down to two venues
Sunday Noon till its done. With prize ceremony.

The blinds would go up very gradually, so chip protection and play would be very important.

$250 buy in + $10 for a bracelet, plaque and trophies. Prize pool of $22K paying 1-15th.

We would have multiple sattelites to win seats.

Any feedback?

Comments

• Sounds great.

I have to admit, the $250.00 is outside of what my bankroll allows for.
    But, I would most definately take shots at it through the satellites.

Has the makings of an awesome event.

Even if i don't play, i'd be willing to help out any of the venues.

D
  • Dave what would you suggest for a buy in?
    Considering 2 days of poker (maybe three :wink: ) and it is a freezeout.

I would want to see all of the regular faces as If I do something like this I want to be inclusive not exclusive.

Wolffhound wrote:
    Sounds great.

I have to admit, the $250.00 is outside of what my bankroll allows for.
    But, I would most definately take shots at it through the satellites.

Has the makings of an awesome event.

Even if i don't play, i'd be willing to help out any of the venues.

D
  • I loved this idea when Tyson proposed it to me. Would people be more willing to play if we had an smaller buy-in amount and added rebuys and an add-on? Gives you more control over how much you are willing to invest. Although the satellite aspect wuld then become less important. Thoughts?

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    I loved this idea when Tyson proposed it to me. Would people be more willing to play if we had an smaller buy-in amount and added rebuys and an add-on? Gives you more control over how much you are willing to invest. Although the satellite aspect wuld then become less important. Thoughts?

stp

My only issue with the rebuy add ons is that when do we cap it? at 1/2 starting levels and 10k in chips do we need a rebuy? And to be like a WSOP there wouldnt be a rebuy, authentiity etc
    :)
  • Yes, the $250 is probably a bit steep for me too, but I would definately try to get in through the satellites. But I also kinda like the idea of the freeze out format, so I understand the buy-in has to be significant enough to build a worthwhile prize pool.
    Your're a hero to take this on Tyson, and I would also be willing to help if I crap out in the satellites.
    Cheers,
    Tim
  • $100? I would want to run this for regular players of BSNC, PSPP and WPC.

Im also thinking three days of Poker, typically my buy ins are $50-75 (after rebuys :) so maybe $150?

Let me know where the breaking ground is, 88 players is big player pool.
  • I'm definitely in for this.
    I'm gonna give it a go for the sat's first of course :P
    Here are my comments.
    I like the run time of the tourny, but starting at 1/2 is a little weak in my opinion. I'd prefer a 5/10 start, with one hour blinds that shouldn't be an issue, and it's small enough for the big starting count you get to not notice.
    Personally having 10k chips, at the end of the first day it would be mostly useless.
    7 hours of play, we'll be at what 50/100 at the end of day one?

1/2, 2/4, 5/10, 10/20, 15/30, 30/60, 50/100
    compared to
    5/10, 10/20, 15/30, 30/60, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200

Day two's blind structure will also have to be fairly slow otherwise blinds would put people in bingo mode nearing the final day.

Just a few thoughts, this is an awesome idea!!
  • I really like the idea. They buy-in may be a little steep for a lot of players. When you are looking at getting 88 people in the area (for 3 days a lot of out of towners might not make the trip) $250 would limit the amount of entries.

I love the freeze out with satelites if $250 is the final number. If not, still freeze it out just lower the entry to around $100.

Lastly $10 each for the bracelet and such is $880. That's a pretty nice bracelet and trophy.

If anyone can do it, I think you can Tyson.
  • Okay, I just tabulated a blinds chart from the 1/2 start.
    At the end of day one, blinds were at 50/100.
    End of day two, blinds were at 1250/2500.
    End of day three(am estimation), Blinds were at 10000/20000.

These are are without ante's, adding ante's in would slow the blinds down alot, are they needed with an 88 player field, unknown. That's up to you do decide tyson.
  • I really like the idea. They buy-in may be a little steep for a lot of players. When you are looking at getting 88 people in the area (for 3 days a lot of out of towners might not make the trip) $250 would limit the amount of entries.

I love the freeze out with satelites if $250 is the final number. If not, still freeze it out just lower the entry to around $100.

Lastly $10 each for the bracelet and such is $880. That's a pretty nice bracelet and trophy.

If anyone can do it, I think you can Tyson.

Yep,

Im thinking $150 bracelet and $200 for trophies, first out, bad beat, 2nd and third. So your right $10 might be a bit much, unless we need chairs etc this is just in the works at this point but considering most of my players came from here, I want your input.

And PSI, thanks for the input about the blinds and your right. Im thinking day one is about overall play were chip counts etc will come more into play on day two and day three would be full tournement play.

Thanks for the compliment bones, but I will have ALOT of help and will need it too,
  • Great idea.

The long rounds might cause a few unusual problems with the mechanics. You'll probably get many complaints about the long format. Highly skilled players will love this format.

Will it be players dealing, or dealers dealing?

If it's players dealing, I'd expect you would get a lot of complaints that the dealng was a lot of work, and that there is so little action that it's hardly worth dealing. Also, players deal quite slowly in general, so if players already found the long blind levels boring, then they may be put into a coma by the actual pace of the hands in addition to the slow levels.

Another consideration with players dealing is that they will get tired of dealing, both mentally and physically. Dealing a very long stretch, even when the dealing is shared among the whole table, will take its toll on amateur dealers.

If you plan to have actual dealers, availability may be difficult, and (if you don't intend to hire dealers) finding volunteers for a long format will be a challenge. In a typical home game tourney, you can usually find a couple of tourney bustees who are willing to deal some. You may not find this kind of volunteer resource available in the proposed format.

If you plan on hiring dealers, you need to make sure you have enough to handle the long time frame, taking into account breaks, etc. Also, they would probably need to be paid. You'd be hard pressed to find skilled dealers willing to commit to a 3 day tourney for only expectation of tokes.

As for the buy-in, I think this simply has to be a larger buy-in event. $250 strikes me as about the minimum size that might generate enough interest for a multi-day tourney.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to make the buy-in too restrictive in terms of allowing everyone to play, but buy-ins less than this for 3 days of poker are probably not going to be worth a lot of players' time.

Satellites are a great solution if you're finding a lot of players who want to give it a shot, but need a lower buy-in entry method.

ScottyZ
  • Redington wrote:
    $100? I would want to run this for regular players of BSNC, PSPP and WPC.

Im also thinking three days of Poker, typically my buy ins are $50-75 (after rebuys :) so maybe $150?

Let me know where the breaking ground is, 88 players is big player pool.

I am going to get in sooo much trouble from my wife when I tell her that I am about to spend more on a poker game then I did on her for Valentines, but personally this sounds a lot better than the "beer" promotions going on right now for poker.

I would be more inclined to enter for the $150 range. I could help rounding up people for the event, I know of at least 10 that play in our small monthly games that would play for that amount. Getting players shouldn't be a problem given the surge in popularity of poker. Do you have enough chips?

I like the freezout format, early re-buys with that many chips in play could result in a lot of early all-ins and set some people up with huge stacks right off the start. Those early goliaths would hard to take on, especially with a middle-of-the-road blind schedule.

Good luck!
  • One further suggestion:

Instead of starting off the blinds super-small, I'd suggest making the blind time limits longer instead. Human dealt (particularly player dealt) 1/2 hour levels are not long at all.

I'd suggest something closely imitating the WSOP main event itself. Something like initial blinds 25/50 and between 60 to 90 minute blind levels will both

1. Help to smooth the blind increases in the middle and late stages.

2. Avoid "sitting out" syndrome during day 1. That is, with blinds 1/2, it's not a bad strategy to be away from the table.

A $10,000 chip stack is still very deep with blinds 25/50, but I think blinds being 1/2 might be going too far. I know the idea is to not put blind pressure on players during day 1, but starting 25/50 with long time limits should be able to accomplish this.

ScottyZ
  • I have to agree with scotty

A three day tournament is too long for a low buy in. I like the blind structure.

If you make it a 100 tourney, it has to be a freeze out and it should be completed in one day.( long day)

If you make it a 200 to 250 tourney, two days at most. IMO.

I would be interested in something like that, even driving from Scarborough.

Rob.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    As for the buy-in, I think this simply has to be a larger buy-in event. $250 strikes me as about the minimum size that might generate enough interest for a multi-day tourney.

ScottyZ

Sounds to me like Scotty is looking for the buy-in to be big enough to justify flying in for the game :wink:. You can fly direct to Waterloo Regional Airport from Ottawa (in case you weren't already aware).
  • I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE it!
    Robocop

Nice work.

Drop the re-buys and add-ons. That's just a prop for the maniacs and prolongs the tourney needlessly. I think 3 days is plenty. :eek:

Entry fee? Keep it high but have a few satellites to give lots of the good players with smallish bankrolls a chance to get in. I'd probably want to play in a satellite or two. Scotty's points are good. For someone to commit to 3 days, it has to be a very good prize pool.

Dealers? I'm not too worried about it. Any player willing to pony up $250, I would hope would have a bit of experience dealing. To speed things up, you can always have an extra set of cards on the table (different colour please!) and the player to the right of the dealer can shuffle those at the end of the hand. Definitely speeds things up tremendously.

Please give me lots of notice on this. I'll arrange to be 'out of town' that weekend :wink: (I'm already in enough trouble after rolling in at 5:00am on Sunday. Damn drunk maniacs! Damn Omaha!) Make it sometime in April and I'll pitch a tent on the side of Hwy 85.

This is a very interesting concept. I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy looking forward to it.
  • Tyson,

I agree for 2/3 days of poker, $250.00 is probably right and as was previously said, for people to travel in etc...and with Satellites to it, great.

Bankroll wise, to dedicate 1/4 of the roll...would be tough. If its a 100.00, that leaves one with 2 other WPC events, a trip or two to Zithals and a PPP event.

I'd guarentee i'd play something like this for 100.00 + whatever. If its 250.00, i'd probably invest my 100.00 in Satellites trying to get in (and this would still be great).

Failing that....sign me up for some shifts dealing/handling chips/parking cars/crowd control etc.

D
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Failing that....sign me up for some shifts dealing/handling chips/parking cars/crowd control etc.

D
    I'm with you there, if a friend of mine gets in, I'll deal if I don't qualify via sats (or simply don't have enough $$ at the time to buy full in).
  • Thanks for all the great input!

I do want to state one thing

**** I am not trying to run this like one of Azim's 10K tourneys********

This is meant to be a fun poker weekend, I want this to be open to all the regulars at the three venues (one of which I haven't even passed this by yet :tongue: )

Scotty et al, your right it wouldn't be worth it for a regular 10K player. But I am not trying to aim for that player, this is for the regulars at our $10-100 buy in tourneys.

$150 would give a prize pool of $13,200.
    4k plus bracelet for first and $220 for 15th.

I would have the players at each table deal, typically there is someone who likes to deal. Lets not make this any more complicated then it needs to be :smile:

I think we could do all the prizes for $400 Bracelets, Tshirts, draw etc, there are really no overhead costs.

As for the blind schedule, I would try and set something up so we go from 88 to 60 to 32 for the last day, then go to a resturant bar for the presentations etc

again this is preliminary!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Tyson, you stole the words right out of my mouth. We woudlnt be looking for regular 10K players. this woudl be a chance for the guys who play at these venues regularly to get a taste of something bigger.

dealers: if we hire dealers we are just sucking money out of the prize pool. And that isnt nessisary. Dealers are a luxury. they are liek heated seats in a car, do you REALLY need them?? not really. We'll just suck it up and deal.

The buy-in in my opinion definately should be bigger than $100, anywhre form $150 to $250 is a great idea.

i ahve to jet now and go set up the poker pit for tonight with shannon, i will give more opinion later..

thansk guys, keep the comments coming

laters,
    johnny
  • What's wrong with heated seats in a car? I've got heated seats, and they come in handy on those -40 days. Great idea, Tyson. I like the 250 buy in and freeze-out idea. The length of the format is a bit much for me, my wife probably would revolt if I took an entire weekend off to play poker, unless you could make one of the venues on-line? Then I could play at home for the first two days, and if I made the finals, could schmooze her for the day off from the kids. Prima has the capacity for private tournaments, and I expect some of the others do as well. I realize this is a little out in left field, but just throwing it out there to see if anyone else would be interested.
  • Is there going to be a billeting system for us out-of-towners who want to make the trek? I am a nice house guest, litter box trained and everything ...
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    Is there going to be a billeting system for us out-of-towners who want to make the trek? I am a nice house guest, litter box trained and everything ...

Why yes ofcourse, I will have frequent players point system with credits towards a buffet too.

Hell at this rate I think I will need to bring in the call girls and make it just like the vegas experiance.

I wonder what the wife would say if I dress up Cadie in a cocktail dress and have her peddling smokes and free booze.

I can see this skyrocketing...I wonder if Brantford really wants the competition or will they finally open a NL table.

Ok now I have to ask the wife if this is even possible.... we might be taking some of the prize pot for flowers for spouses (STP and me) and um well cat litter for Rob (you can decide if it is for the pets or Tye).

Tyson
  • I like the idea of satellites too. $20+2 - for every 13 people you can have a $250 prize (after rake). Schedule some of these (either as 13 person games or else have the prize divied up evenly per 13 entries somehow) and you can get into the main game cheaply.

Good idea Bazz (although I don't think that is exactly what you meant).
  • Great Idea Tyson.

$250 is a bit much for me but if there are sat's going then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd prefer to just buy in for $150

Sounds like a great idea, I'm looking forward to the announcement.
  • Where? Id be coming from Scarborough as well. Almost litter trained, i miss 2-3 times a day, so really it isnt as bad as it sounds!
  • I'd be into this for sure Tyson. I don't think that $250 is too steep for this type of event either. If it was only going to be $100 why not just do a 1 day tourney?

Don't get me wrong, if it is a $100 buy-in I'd still play, but this is a BIG EVENT and it warrants the $250.

Can you engrave "Gino" on the back of my bracelete? Oh, and get a gold chain with a big poker chip medalion!
  • Lithium wrote:
    Almost litter trained, i miss 2-3 times a day, so really it isnt as bad as it sounds!
    Tyson doesn't seem to mind people peeing in his driveway out front... :eek:
  • Just some more ideas around the structure of the weekend. (esp. since I may be one of the venues) Obviously, you'd want an equal number of people at each venue so that one house doesn't get "short-handed", so you want either 3 or 4 tables per location (8-handed I assume, perhaps playing the final table 10-handed?)

4 tables of 8 max at three venues = 96 players max.
    3 tables of 8 max at three venues = 72 players max.

Let's assume the first one for the sake of my examples.

Have a shorter day on Friday, a <<long>> day on Saturday and a short day on Sunday to leave room for presentations. You'll want to break the first house at 64 players and move to a final house at 32. From past experience (though I can't talk to massive player tournaments) I find reducing the field to a) 2/3rd and b) 1/3rd of the original field occurs when the BB is roughly a) 1/10th to 1/5th of the original buy-in and b) roughly 1/2 of the original buy in .. or a) ~500/1000 to 1000/2000 and c) ~2500-5000

Let's also assume a normal weekend, and let's monkey around with 1 hour blinds, WSOP style...

DAY 1: (Friday)

7-8pm: 25-50
    8-9pm: 50-100
    9pm-9:30pm: Half hour break.
    9:30-10:30pm: 75-150
    10:30pm-11:30pm: 100-200
    End of DAY1: Event in the evening??
    (colour up green(25) chips, take note of chip counts)

DAY 2: (Saturday) - redraw houses (so that players get to play with different people)

<11am: Breakfast at Benny's!!!
    11am-12pm: 200-400
    12pm-1pm: 300-600
    1pm-1:30pm: break
    1:30pm-2:30pm: 400-800
    2:30pm-3:30pm: 600-1200
    3:30pm-5:30pm:***2 hour social/dinner break co-incides with whenever the first house breaks
    5:30pm-6:30pm: 800-1600
    6:30pm-7:30pm: 1000-2000
    7:30pm-8:00pm: break, colour up black(100) chips
    8:00pm-9:00pm: 1500-3000
    9:00pm-10:00pm: 2000-4000
    10:00pm-10:30pm: break, pizza is ordered and eaten.
    10:30pm-11:30pm: 2500-5000**
    11:30pm-12:30am: 3000-6000**
    (colour up purple(500) chips, take note of chip counts)

Play continues until 32 players are left in the tournament, collapsing to one house, At the 32 player level the average stack is 30,000 chips, so it could happen as early was 1500-3000 , in which case we'd have to be ready with a night event or plan on collapsing to one house that night.

DAY 3: (Sunday)

10:00am-11:00am: (2000)-5000**
    11:00am-12:00pm: 3000-6000**
    12:00am-1:00pm: 4000-8000
    1:00pm-1:30pm: break, remaining levels reduced to 1/2 hour each
    1:30pm-2:00pm: 6000-12000
    2:00pm-2:30pm: 8000-16000
    2:30pm-3:00pm: 10000-20000****
    **** blinds increase by 5000-10000 every half an hour.
    3:00pm-> Awards and presentations with dinner.

It'll obviously need some tweaking, but it's a starting point. Some outstanding questions which should be addressed....

1) What will happen with players that are out of the tournament (esp. any out of towners) Will there be side games? Where will they take place? What else can they do?
    2) Co-ordination of blinds/breaks between venues
    3) Security. Assuming a $150 (which I like) we'd have over $14,000 in one place at one time. Pre-paid entries deposited into an account and paid out by cheques may be safer?
    4) Do we needs rules to balance houses?
    5) Payout structure. Gradual to payout a good number of places (ie. Final two tables) vs. steep blinds structure to give a big payday to the end.
    6) Option if all players want to watch the final table. (possiblity.. hook a video camera to deliver a live feed to multiple TV's

Sample final Two table payout (assuming a final table of 10 players and a final two tables of 16 players)

1st: $4000
    2nd: $2800
    3rd: $1800
    4th: $1200
    5th: $900
    6th: $700
    7th: $600
    8th: $500
    9th: $400
    10th: $300
    11-16th: $200

6) ? More to come ?

In general, love the idea. $150 is my comfort zone for a weekend of poker, but it should be up to everyone. Perhaps this will be the Pokerforum.ca Celebrity Challenge II?
  • Zithal wrote:
    Just some more ideas around the structure of the weekend. (esp. since I may be one of the venues)

(8-handed I assume, perhaps playing the final table 10-handed?)

4 tables of 8 max at three venues = 96 players max.
    3 tables of 8 max at three venues = 72 players max.

Ok, so your in :D ?

I didnt even think about having equal players at each venue, but it would make alot of sense.

The blinds will have to be worked on, but the schedule is a great idea as well as the redraws.

-- Ok so you have 5 at this table?.. Shannon send the button on table 5 from PSPP over to CU on table 4 at WPC.

Zithal wrote:

It'll obviously need some tweaking, but it's a starting point. Some outstanding questions which should be addressed....

1) What will happen with players that are out of the tournament (esp. any out of towners) Will there be side games? Where will they take place? What else can they do?
    2) Co-ordination of blinds/breaks between venues
    3) Security. Assuming a $150 (which I like) we'd have over $14,000 in one place at one time. Pre-paid entries deposited into an account and paid out by cheques may be safer?
    4) Do we needs rules to balance houses?
    5) Payout structure. Gradual to payout a good number of places (ie. Final two tables) vs. steep blinds structure to give a big payday to the end.
    6) Option if all players want to watch the final table. (possiblity.. hook a video camera to deliver a live feed to multiple TV's.

1) Good point, if we are all at 4 tables, it will make room for side games reduced on the first day, but Maybe we set up the venue that collapses with a PLO or Stud lower buy in tourney for the Saturday and Sunday (kinda like being at binions!)

2) The breaks and blinds do not have to be closely linked between venues do they? We just have to ensure that we are consistant on the times and schedules. Hiccups are going to happen, why hold up other venues as long as each venue has 60 minutes of each round.

3) Security is a great idea. The banking thing makes alot of sense. I would not want to be holding 14k cash weith eveyone knowinf where it is. Perhaps we all meet Friday at 6pm and have a runner to deposit the cash and draw for tables at a central location or restaurant.

4) I think we should hammer out tourney rules and apply them at all three houses.

5) The payouts you listed were very close with what I had paying 1-15 from 4K down to 300. I was also suggesting that we have a $5 entrance fee which will go to a bracelet for the winner, trohpies, door prizes and a bad beat, best beat etc. , this is for us and fun, I don't want to run this as a 100man 10k tourney. It is for us and our players :smile:

6) Awesome idea, I was thinking we could tape the final day, but this is even a better idea!
    I don't know if we can make it work but it would be an awesome idea. I wonder if we could host the final tables at a bar, (I just asked a coworker about the KoC here in KW and we could get the hall and food for about $7/person and it is liscensed) and everyone could watch then give a presentation of the door prizes and finals etc.

Zithal wrote:

In general, love the idea. $150 is my comfort zone for a weekend of poker, but it should be up to everyone. Perhaps this will be the Pokerforum.ca Celebrity Challenge II?

Yep perhaps this could be, but I am kinda partial to the KWSOP title! Looks like $150 is the comfortzone for alot of people.

Man my nipples are getting hard just thinking about this.

Thanks for your input here, you are definetely an analytical force!

Ok so what about dates?