Our Canadian busted in 5th
  • Canadian Heads Up for a Bracelet in Event 60

At a chip disadvantage 2.6mil to 8.8mil

Tournament Updates | Official World Series of Poker Online
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    Canadian Heads Up for a Bracelet in Event 60

At a chip disadvantage 2.6mil to 8.8mil

Tournament Updates | Official World Series of Poker Online

This is her (Loni Harwood) 3rd final table in the 2013 WSOP, amazing.
  • Another 2nd for Canada
  • Very early yet but 3 in the top 10 of main...
  • My buddy Umang is actually sitting on 550k at dinner break. Joel started Day 2 with 6k and ran it up to 124. He's at 90 on break.
  • Umang really deep now, sitting over 3 million and in top ten of Day 5. A few friends have gone back to Vegas to support. In 2011 one of Umang's best friends Khoa finished 11th so if he can pull this off there will be one hell of a rail including myself.

He's been just accumulating for last few days without any big swings, here is hoping he continues to run pure!

To update previous post, Joel managed to hang in and make first few pay jumps. Back to back ME cashes and hell of a run considering he was all but out Day 2. Another couple aquaintances Dietrich, Mueller & Septa finished ITM and Dion still in. At least there have been some players to sweat so far this year.

Come on Nov 9!
  • Still A Handfull Of Canadians Left In The WSOP Main Event With 68 Remaining Tournament Chipcounts | Official World Series of Poker Online
  • Congrats to the Canadians who have dominated the rest of the world with ten earned bracelets, 561 cashes and almost $11 milliion in earnings. "cheers: Coming in far behind was UK, who only scored three WSOP bracelets and less than half in cashes with 277. However, since the evil US withholds 30% from Canucks but not from many European countries such as the UK, Canadians lost more than $3 million to the IRS :rage: so UK kept more earnings at $8,592,506! :o

While I was playing a cash game, somebody said that this stupid 30% tax was changed in 2013. I argued that there would have been poker headlines if that was true, but he insisted it was. Did anybody hear any dramatic change or was it just :bs:
  • BS

An OPT Member cashed for over $12k and got 30% taxed
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Congrats to the Canadians who have dominated the rest of the world with ten earned bracelets, 561 cashes and almost $11 milliion in earnings. "cheers: Coming in far behind was UK, who only scored three WSOP bracelets and less than half in cashes with 277. However, since the evil US withholds 30% from Canucks but not from many European countries such as the UK, Canadians lost more than $3 million to the IRS :rage: so UK kept more earnings at $8,592,506! :o

While I was playing a cash game, somebody said that this stupid 30% tax was changed in 2013. I argued that there would have been poker headlines if that was true, but he insisted it was. Did anybody hear any dramatic change or was it just :bs:

As Steve said this is BS as we would have heard lots about it. The issue is not really the US though as the fact we don't have a tax treaty with the US (like the UK does) was a Canadian decision.
  • Wrong. We do have a tax treaty but it doesn't exempt gaming.
  • A few well known players, McDonald & Ladouceur for instance, were actually a bit vocal on not playing because of withholding taxes. Mike showed up for only Main I believe and Marc-Andre tweeted about skipping One Drop as result of taxes. He didn't mind as much if he was playing on own dime, (like rest of his events) but knew it would be tough to beat because he had to sell.
  • moose wrote: »
    Wrong. We do have a tax treaty but it doesn't exempt gaming.

Quoted from the existing tax treaty..

"If the treaty does not cover a particular kind of income, or if there is no treaty between your country and the United States, you must pay tax on the income in the same way and at the same rates shown in the instructions for the applicable U.S. tax return."

Technically correct but really the same thing..

Pretty sure this was discussed at length on 2+2 a few years ago but I can't find the link at the moment... As I recall it was Canada who didn't want gaming exempted although for us it's has the same effect no matter who wanted it this way... Wonder if my dual UK/Canada citizenship would help?

lol, actually it doesn't since my residence is in Canada, I actually checked that out at the time...
  • Make final table, move to UK before Nov. :)
  • Canadian Marc McLaughlin sitting 3rd in chips going to The November 9.