Critique Welcomed

$1/$3 cash game at the ARIA last Sunday night.

A few hands in I made a preflop raise UTG with 58 suited, flopped the nut straight and got paid off and stacked a guy. After that, I got no credit for having a hand and was called down light several times.

This was how my signature hand of the week unfolded:

UTG makes it $11 pre, I call with 55 in CO+1, button calls, BB calls.
4 of us to the flop.

Flop J 8 5 rainbow. BB bets $15. UTG raises to $45. Thinking Button and BB would both fold, I just flat the $45.

Button makes it $100 (Surprise!) and BB and UTG both call. Now I'm kinda crapping my pants. I tank and think it through. Button does not have JJ - she would 3-bet preflop in position. 88 is possible here. I put UTG on an overpair as soon as he made it $45 or maybe AJ. Not exactly sure what BB has, he has a wide range and has good odds to play a draw or 2 pr here. Also, he only has about $60 behind.

And so I shove $400+, which has everyone else covered. Button grumbles and folds, BB calls his last $60 and UTG calls his last $250 or so. UTG has KK and BB has 9T (OESD).

Turn and river brick and my 5s hold up.

Total pot: $1000-ish

Button told me afterwards she had AJ and would have turned top 2 and paid me off also.

Comments

• I like it.

I was going to ask how much people had back before calling with 55 pre, but it seems based on results that the answer was "plenty".

I like that you tanked, but also were willing to recognize there's only two hands that beat you, and you can likely eliminate one of those from the 3-bet. BB with only $60 behind is inconsequential here, as you said. It's a shame you couldn't get the button to come play too, but I think your push was the right move considering the pot was about as much.

Expertly played.

Mark
  • Not sure what critique is needed. You played it right, if either played flopped the set, oh well.
  • Did you have any reads on BTN/BB?. We can put UTG on an overpair here 80% of the time and AJ the other 20% of the time. BB's holding is irrelevant here with already $445 in the pot? and they only have $60 left? We are never getting him to fold any draws here so keeping BTN/UTG in would be best for milking a side pot since they should almost never be drawing here. You should only ever be behind 88's, so this would be a spot where you should go for fat value against BTN/UTG on turn/river. Even if BTN is the type to overvalue TPTK, your call then checkraise screams sets.
  • well played...although i couldnt help noticing the BB donk bet a third of the pot on a draw...thats definetly worth a LMAO^-^
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I was going to ask how much people had back before calling with 55 pre, but it seems based on results that the answer was "plenty".

Yes, enough to make set mining profitable. UTG AND BTN had almost as much as me ($350-ish each) and BB was the only short stack at $175 or so.
    anhdy wrote: »
    Did you have any reads on BTN/BB?

BTN was a solid player. She was definitely capable of trying to buy the pot with the $100.

UTG was tight and got tied to big hands easily. Saw him get stacked already with TPTK on an equally dry board.

BB was a big donator. I stacked him earlier as did a couple of others. Was his 4th $200 buy-in by my count, but he was already at the table when I sat down so could have been more.
    westside8 wrote: »
    Not sure what critique is needed. You played it right, if either played flopped the set, oh well.

Critique is both + and -. Personally, I thought I played it well, but the button did tell me afterwards that she thought flatting the $45 was insane.
  • Good read and I actually like the flat call in this spot as well to bring in the players behind you. A lot of players with an OESD draw will call your raise at this level IMO. I tend to slow play my flopped sets because of the aggression that others tend towards with TPTK etc.. Of course texture is important to any decision...but I think you maximized your profit here. Way to go!
  • Judy a Fyi.. The bit you included in your TR about the 58 hand leafing to this one is vital information and shouldn't have been left out.
  • Noted and added for future readers, but my name's not Judy. :)
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Noted and added for future readers, but my name's not Judy. :)

Auto-correct, was supposed to be "Just" ;)
  • Here's my question, why shove over the top of the re-raise ?

It shows tremendous strength and will fold out top pair and even some two pair hands most of the time. A flat keeps them in the hand, where there are no draws on that board.
    Like you said, if someone had a higher set, oh well, good for them. But in this scenario, those are the only hands that should have called your shove.

Fortunately for you, one was already short and this was $1/$3, where they don't put you on a hand they can't beat.
  • A. Pot was plenty juiced. My shove made it about $750. If they all fold its still a good sized pot.

B. Raise was effectively 1/3 the pot since opponents only had $250 (or less) behind and were therefore priced in with any reasonable hand. Nobody's folding 2 pair here
    and the only person in the hand who could fold TPTK here had just 4-bet, so I put her on better and would thus call.

C. What turn cards would be considered good for me? If the board pairs draws fold, if the draw fills in the others fold , if an A hits the overpair folds. On the flop, I'm pretty sure I'm ahead and they all have max equity to call.

This was clearly the best time to bloat the pot.