FT segregates new players

Full Tilt Poker Segregates New Players - European Poker News

at least this isn't as bad as party. FT is only doing it on the lowest buy-ins. still though, i hate this idea.

PROS:
  • keeps new players playing longer and not getting frustrated and quitting right away
CONS:
  • winning players win less since fish are protected from them
  • winning players choose to leave the site for one that doesn't segregate (this could have a domino effect leading to high stakes pros possible leaving the site as well)
  • new players don't get to learn from good players (since they don't play against them)
one of the main points of poker is the level playing field. a complete newb fish can sit down with a 'pro' and play on equal terms. that's the beauty of poker. this segregation is horrible for the game imho and the equation for it is simple: less fish = less players on the site = less revenue for the site. do they really think that the constant attraction of new players outweighs the constant traffic of regs? they must but i don't understand why.

Comments

• To play Devil's advocate . . . we all know that the last person the newbs "want" to sit down with is a "pro" because they know they will lose all their money. It is the pros looking for new players to stack that will be the most upset by this.

For the record, expecting ANY gambling establishment to act in "the best interests of the game" is just stupid. They are going to act in what they perceive to be their OWN best interest above all other considerations. If segregating players keeps the rake flowing for longer and steadier blocks of time, then that is what they will do, and your only option will be to cash out or play anyway.
  • This is very different that Party Poker.
    Eligibility for the New to the Game tables is based on the number of games or hands played in each specific game variant.

Eventually you will not qualify for these tables even if you are a losing player. Actually even a high stakes player that decided to learn O8 let's say would be allowed.
  • Milo wrote: »
    To play Devil's advocate . . . we all know that the last person the newbs "want" to sit down with is a "pro" because they know they will lose all their money. It is the pros looking for new players to stack that will be the most upset by this.

For the record, expecting ANY gambling establishment to act in "the best interests of the game" is just stupid. They are going to act in what they perceive to be their OWN best interest above all other considerations. If segregating players keeps the rake flowing for longer and steadier blocks of time, then that is what they will do, and your only option will be to cash out or play anyway.

fair enough. obviously businesses don't give a crap about the "integrity" of anything (woohoo capitalism/consumerism!!). however, i am suggesting that it is possible that a trickle down scenario of some kind could lead to the site losing money as opposed to making more. i may be wrong, but i think it's definitely possible.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    This is very different that Party Poker.

Eventually you will not qualify for these tables even if you are a losing player. Actually even a high stakes player that decided to learn O8 let's say would be allowed.

yes that's true. however, it's still along the same lines as party and i really don't want to see all poker sites starting this trend.
  • trigs wrote: »
    yes that's true. however, it's still along the same lines as party and i really don't want to see all poker sites starting this trend.

Nope.

Party has had the "New Player" tables for a very long time. Once you had been with the site for a certain period you could no longer play these tables. That part is similar to party (and a few other sites).

What Party has done is gone a step further to prevent the good players from feasting on the bad players in the general player pool.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Nope.

Party has had the "New Player" tables for a very long time. Once you had been with the site for a certain period you could no longer play these tables. That part is similar to party (and a few other sites).

What Party has done is gone a step further to prevent the good players from feasting on the bad players in the general player pool.

again, yes i understand that. however, it's still along the sames lines of player segregation. not sure how you can disagree with me here unless i'm just misunderstanding you.
  • Hobbes is correct. Having Beginner tables for a limited number of hands or days is fine, including Party's "Welcome Lounge" tables for the first 15 days. Party's secretly rigging its software has ruined its reputation with the poker community, :rage: and will result in hundreds of thousands of dollars less rake. See also http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/party-poker-segregating-players-30208/#post352028
    Hobbes wrote: »
  • Whee currently playing .10/.20 limit because apparently, "I'm new to the game".
  • oh hi der
  • So lol. I like how the tables tell you what your hand is.
  • yo hobbes get on noxon - .10 nl - guy shoving for $7 every hand
  • Too bad Hobbes. You took his seat. :(