Implied Odds

Hi,

I have a hard time understanding how you can give bad implied odds or good implied odds to your opponent. I know how to give bad pot odds or good pot odds, but I don't know about implied odds. Its hard because you don't know how much your opponents think how much you will pay them, so you don't know on what you have to base yourself other then your opponents table image.

Comments

• want to give bad implied odds, play with a short stack (relative to bet size) and vise versa. I think a lot of players forget about implied odds when making decisions at the poker table.

Guy beside me the other night folded an open ended straight draw on the flop because the guy bet $20 into a $16 pot. He tells me he isn't getting the right odds to call...eventhough they were both 400BB deep.
  • jah, thats reverse implied odds haha
  • There is the problem people calculate there implied odds based on there opponent whole stack. It does'nt come often that you will hit your draw and get your opponents whole stack. The problem I am faced off is that you don't know if you opponent base his implied odds by your whole stack, or like he think you will pay 1/4 of your stack, so if you dont know on what basis he is going to base himself how can you manipulate the implied odds , one way or the other.
  • You're right, you can only really estimate your implied odds. You are obviously much more likely to stack off an opponent if you make a gutshot straight when your opponent has middle set than when you river a flush and all he has is top pair, good kicker.

Having an idea of the overall skill level of your opponent is extremely helpful - poor players are essentially always offering better implied odds than good ones.

So I guess to answer your question, in order to not offer good implied odds, be a good hand reader and good at poker in general. Or play a short stack, as pokerJAH said.
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    You're right, you can only really estimate your implied odds. You are obviously much more likely to stack off an opponent if you make a gutshot straight when your opponent has middle set than when you river a flush and all he has is top pair, good kicker.

Having an idea of the overall skill level of your opponent is extremely helpful - poor players are essentially always offering better implied odds than good ones.

So I guess to answer your question, in order to not offer good implied odds, be a good hand reader and good at poker in general. Or play a short stack, as pokerJAH said.

This is generally correct. Early in tournaments I'll flat all kinds of nonsense hands against incompetent (usually older white guys), who's opening ranges are very thin and whos 1 pair stack off potential is very high.
  • Neat wrote: »
    There is the problem people calculate there implied odds based on there opponent whole stack. It does'nt come often that you will hit your draw and get your opponents whole stack. The problem I am faced off is that you don't know if you opponent base his implied odds by your whole stack, or like he think you will pay 1/4 of your stack, so if you dont know on what basis he is going to base himself how can you manipulate the implied odds , one way or the other.

You have to know your opponents and whether they will fall in love w TPTK if you hit your draw. Also, how obvious is your draw (one card straight, etc).

Maybe you can give us some example hands that you are confused about?