Reading a player after an uncalled bet

I've really found your posts about HAR and getting reads on players helpful. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on things to look out for when trying to read the strength of a player's hand after he makes a bet on the flop that goes uncalled. Assuming you have no HAR read on the player prior to his bet, or not enough of one to gauge his strength, what do you look for? Do you find certain actions indicate specific hands (i.e. drawing hands vs made hands vs overcards)?

Obviously, with the bet being uncalled, this is not going to help make a decision on the hand in question, but I am hoping to get information for future hands about how the player is playing. As well, clearly you have to consider their preflop betting and position, but I'm often in a situation where these alone do not provide solid answers.

What I notice is that after everyone folds there is often an initial "non reaction" followed a few seconds later by a different reaction. I'm just not so sure what it means usually. I notice that after the initial reaction people typically have one of two reactions a few seconds later: 1) a genuine smile, often a little laughter, and 2) look of concern, counting chips and wanting to get back into the game quickly.

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Comments

• Interesting question....

While I dont have any great insight into it, maybe you'd also take into consideration how fast the player gets the cards into the muck.

i'm looking forward to hearing some other's insights into this...
  • Obviously, with the bet being uncalled, this is not going to help make a decision on the hand in question, but I am hoping to get information for future hands about how the player is playing.

Truthfully, I don't think I ever take any "tell" information away from a hand that goes uncalled. If that hand was not called, and you have not seen his cards, then it's not clear to me what you are hoping to conclude.

The reality is that most of my decisions are bsaed very specifically on postion and patterns. Daniel Negreanu has written about this and I agree. There are very few precise tells.

What I am interested in is "betting frequency" and "betting reflex." So, does this player frequently raise pre-flop? Too often? He's a mover. Does this player raise a lot in late position? He's a stealer.

Truthfully, I have never paid much attention to what a player does after everyone folds.

It's an interesting question and I will have to give it some thought.