Dave tell me how you would have played this.

You are in a typical 10/20 game in Brantford.
By typical I mean EASY.

-You are in the BB with AQs.

-A TERRIBLE player in middle position raises to 20 and the only player I respect at the table calls 20.

-You call the extra 10 and the three of you see the flop of 652 rainbow.

-Flop is checked around

-Q falls on turn.

Do you bet? I did.

Original raiser raises to 40 and puck makes it 60.

If you had bet the turn now what?

Comments

• -A TERRIBLE player in middle position raises to 20 and the only player I respect at the table calls 20.

A assume that terrible player (TP) could have almost anything. Respected player (RP) has a hand the is legitmate value against TP. So... what are RP's possible hands? I will give him A-K to A-J, and A-A to 7-7 (bit arbitrary but doing the best I can).
    -You are in the BB with AQs.

Calling here is not a bad play. I probably would raise. I figure that I am favourite over TP's range of hands and a three bet will (1) help me define RP's hand and (2) give me some "fold equity" with RP if he misses the flop.
    -You call the extra 10 and the three of you see the flop of 652 rainbow.

Check and fold to a bet is not a bad play. Betting out is also not a bad play. My usual rule of thumb is that I will semi-bluff into two opponents... particularly if I think I may have the best hand. It is certainly possible that A-Qs is the best at this point. If I get raised then I probably take off the turn and fold.
    -Flop is checked around

-Q falls on turn.

Do you bet? I did.

Yes. I bet. I believe I have the best hand.

Original raiser raises to 40 and puck makes it 60.

If you had bet the turn now what?

You are facing a call of 40 into a pot of 180.

I fold. There is some possibility that you have a tie. In which case you are calling 40 to win 90. I favour folding or re-raising. I probably fold. My guess is the solid player has A-A, K-K, Q-Q (not likely since I doubt he slow plays Q-Q on the flop), A-Q or a flopped set of 6's or 5's. On balance it appears to me that I am drawing thin or dead. I fold.
  • I would fold here. You've got the RP showing strength behind two players who have already shown strength. Even if you think the TP may be putting a move on you, you've got to think the RP is not going re-raise with a hand that is losing to AQ.

A lot here depends on exactly *how* the TP is terrible. Is he a pre-flop raising maniac? Or is it the opposite that he's so bad he'll only raise with preflop with the top 4 hands? Is he a calling station on later streets? Also, what does it mean that the RP merely calls instead of re-raising pre-flop? If TP is a maniac, would RP know this? Has RP been calling a lot of raises cold (from TP specifically, or at all)?

Clearly those are very specific questions with non-trivial answers, and you'd be close to a perfect player if you could answer all of those in real-time. But these are the kinds of things that one should (and I know you probably do) think about in this kind of spot, and I'm wondering more about specifics as to your player-typing.

Why is the TP terrible? Too loose? Too aggressive? Why is the RP respectable? Fancy and creative with his betting? Just a solid rock of a player?

Since the result of your original post has a strong tone as a bad beat story, I'm guessing the TP showed down something like 94o and scooped a big pot after the river 3. 8)

ScottyZ
  • so what did happen?

I can't take the suspense.

I do have a vested interest cause I was at a similar table in Port Perry this last weekend and got busted quickly.

But it was weird cause I read the players right (at lease pretty good) and lost to low connectors off suit, small pocket pairs made sets on the river etc etc.

It was a card players nightmare. Make all the right moves and get busted by a chump.....continuosly.

Can anyone still sense I'm upset???? lol
  • The pot was won by the player on the puck who three bet the turn.
    He showed down AQ suited (the same hand I mucked).

This is a good play by a good player. He *knows* I have the queen and with the best queen in his hand he can make it hard for me to call with little risk to himself.

I should have check-raised the turn and put him in the tough spot.

I assume the player in middle position had KQ but he did not show.