Anyone here played the PCA before?

I am attending this years PCA event in the bahamas. I was hoping that someone may have some past experience from this event that may be able to answer a couple questions.

Atlantis Resort - Package includes standard room in Royal Towers. Offered an upgrade at the Reef Resort (Seperate building - off to side of resort) The rooms look like an improvement based on website.

Would you recommend the Reef Resort?
Is it better for me to be were majority of the players would be (Royal Towers)?

Recommendations at resort? Def will spend a day or two in the water parks.

I've been told the resort is expensive (food, drink, shops) What should I expect for 2 people, 9 days?

Comments

• I was there in 2011 during the PCA, talk about good timing for a vacation :). I have been to Atlantis twice before, and Paradise Island four times. I'm staying off the resort this time as I am by myself and rooms seem more pricey this year. I have not stayed at the Royal Towers but they are nicer than some of the other buildings. Ocean view rooms are better. Reef is a lot nicer and newer. How much they charging for the upgrade? Reef is a little farther to walk, maybe 10 minutes more each way from the Royal. If you are traveling with your spouse, I would go with the upgrade. Your already on a freeroll so why not enjoy yourself!

Food is really pricey on the resort. There are a few restaurants across from Atlantis in a couple small malls. If you go cheap, likely cost you $100 a day for food (with off resort choices) If you eat three meals a day on the resort, probably $200ish, for average dining.

If you catch the water taxi to downtown Nassau, I think its $5 each way and meals are a lot more reasonable downtown. Your can probably manage on $1,500 for the 9 days for dining. Shopping, depends what you want to buy. Lots of great jewelery stores in Nassau if you want to pick up a TAG or Omega watch duty free.
  • pokerJah,

Thanks for the great info. Yes I am going with my gf and the upgrade is approx $480. Like you said its a freeroll so I def think the upgrade is worth it. Some of the upgrade options they sent were 3k, 6k, and even a 17k option upgrade. lol.
  • what do you get for 17k? I assume you would not need to bring the gf with the 17k option
  • You'd hope ;) Its called the Cove Sapphire Suite Upgrade $16691.40. Its like a house 1700-2200sq feet. I'll go with the $480 upgrade and a happy gf :)
  • rez_dr wrote: »
    pokerJah,

Thanks for the great info. Yes I am going with my gf and the upgrade is approx $480. Like you said its a freeroll so I def think the upgrade is worth it. Some of the upgrade options they sent were 3k, 6k, and even a 17k option upgrade. lol.

I got the 3k upgrade last year as I brought my gf for the first time. The room was I credible with an amazing view. Easily the nicest place I've ever stayed at lol.
    The one problem was that the walk to the poker room was easily 15 min from that room. It's about 5 min from the royal tours and they even offer downgrade where you get $360 added to your food account. And it's honestly not that much different the the royal tours and its closer to the poker room haha.

Food is expensive but just have buffet for breakfast and buffet for dinner, fills you up lol. You in for best trip of your life, minus the fact that your bringing your gf :p
  • Never been the reef. Royal towers isn't that special...when you compare it to Vegas. It's a spacious room, but nothing fancy. It's not bad. I didnt like the coral towers much. Smaller than royal, but it smelled a little on one floor one year.

Food - depends how you want to eat. If you want to go for cheaper options, there's stuff around the resort that don't cost a ton, and you can't charge to your room, like Quiznos and a restaurant called anothnys. There's a pizza shop and deli that are gonna be more expensive than anything in Canada, but a lot cheaper than most sit down restaurants. Anything downtown is pretty reasonable.

Water - I would recommend you spend a little time the first day to go downtown and buy bottled water. Anything they give in restaurants/tap water may make your stomach ache.

Taxi/water taxi are about the same price. Both relatively cheap.

Good luck and enjoy the pca
  • There is a small variety store right by where the water taxi drops you off. Water and other stuff is very reasonable there.
  • Thanks for all the tips so far.

How about the weather? I see average temps in the low 20's (Celcius) I am Canadian :) Pretty sure I'll have no problem with the ocean, more asking for the gf
  • Hit and miss in January. Can be mid 60s some days or low 70s. Lazy river is heated!
  • Buddy just came back. Said it was mid 20s, humidity made it feel like 30s. Had a couple rain days tho.