live tourney

late stages looking for advice....

81 player freeze out. top 10 get paid. (10th money back=$100)

12 players left. 2 tables 6 & 6. level 12 1500/3000 ante 500

I'm BB with an over average stack. My image has been solid, hands that I have shown down have been good strength. Middle position player raises to 7000. There's 7500 in the pot before his raise, what is your range of hands that you would try to protect your BB with? range that you would call with, and reraise with. Villian has ability to lay down, but timing didn't feel right. Gut told me if I'm going to get involved, call and see a flop then try to take pot down.

Comments

• average stack = ???
  • definitely need to know more numbers...like avg. stack. And what is villain's stack?

It all makes a difference on range...
  • Avg would of been about 70000. I had 85000
    Villain 50000
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    Avg would of been about 70000. I had 85000
    Villain 50000

So a 50k stack with 14500 in the pot...2 away from the money.. I am just shipping AQ+, 88+. (maybe wider depending on his image and game flow) With only about 10 effective bb's it's not worth anything but a ship.

Now..someone fix my answer..lol
  • I'm not asking what you would ship with, what is bare minimum hand you would call with? Does it mater? 27o 94s J3o
    I'm not asking what you would ship with, what is bare minimum hand you would call with?

I am not calling here...he really only has about 10 bb's when antes are included. I might ship wider than that range with a table read...but not flatting anything.. I would like to know whether I am out to lunch here as well..lol..but this is how I read it..
  • EDIT: sorry, nevermind.
  • trigs wrote: »
    EDIT: sorry, nevermind.

Costanza imatation?
    I'm not asking what you would ship with, what is bare minimum hand you would call with? Does it mater? 27o 94s J3o

may i ask why you are looking specifically for only a calling range? i'm assuming it will be a very small range in this spot. neither of you are deep enough for you to be considering just calling i think.
    Costanza imatation?

lol no:D. i started writing about how we needed stack sizes but then i left the computer for a bit. came back and posted it but others had already said what i was going to say, so just deleted it.
  • I'll cut to the chase, I had decided not shipping unless I had a hand that warrented it. I had 34s and called because it only cost me 4000 more. Mostly because I thought I could get paid off if I hit and if he is holding a real hand.

If I miss my stack is relatively unchanged.
    I'll cut to the chase, I had decided not shipping unless I had a hand that warrented it. I had 34s and called because it only cost me 4000 more. Mostly because I thought I could get paid off and if I hit if he is holding a real hand.

If I miss my stack is relatively unchanged.

34s is very weak here. you really need to hit the flop hard to continue. very low suited connectors aren't the best. low pocket pairs maybe, but suited connectors that low are pretty bad in this position. you need to be a lot deeper to include these hands.

villain has approximately 16BBs. you have to assume that a MP raiser with that stack size has a good hand here
  • 3h4h I'm aware is weak. But I think I'm calling without looking at my holdings.
    flop 5s 6s 9c
    now what?
    3h4h I'm aware is weak. But I think I'm calling without looking at my holdings.
    flop 5s 6s 9c
    now what?

Fold pre. We are out of position with a bad hand vs a guy who has a stack/pot ratio of about ~2/1. So if we call (calling is bad anyway) and we hit nearly anything, we are likely going to have to call off the other 43k, which is just bad.

On the flop I am torn between b/f and c/f. Donking ~15k and calling may be an option as our donk bet will give us the right odds to call off the rest of villains stack when they shove for ~28k more, giving us better than 2 to 1 to call for our draw. But here, best case scenario villain has no pair and no draw, and we have 14 outs....if villain has an over pair we have 8 outs and if they have like AKss 10 outs.

Fold pre and avoid being put in these marginal situations OOP.
    3h4h I'm aware is weak. But I think I'm calling without looking at my holdings.
    flop 5s 6s 9c
    now what?

why are you calling without looking at your hole cards? you aren't deep enough to do this and in a tournament you are extremely rarely deep enough to do this ever. one exception would be if villain is pushing with something like 3BBs. then you're pretty much calling with ATC.

fold pre. i don't think it's worth considering how to play a flop in this position as you should definitely not be in this position with these stack sizes.

however, if both of you had deep stacks then i'm probably check/calling or check/raising depending on villain's previous actions. i don't like betting here out of position against the aggressor because if he raises we don't have a great hand to be playing a big pot. again, all of this seems to be irrelevant in this specific situation though.
  • I led out 15000. And took it down. It felt good, I just wanted some opinions on if others would play 34s in that situation.

We drew seats adjacent at final table, he then told me he folded 88.
    I led out 15000. And took it down. It felt good, I just wanted some opinions on if others would play 34s in that situation.

try not to be results oriented in poker. doesn't matter if you won or would have won the hand. you should be considering if it was played optimally.
    I led out 15000. And took it down. It felt good, I just wanted some opinions on if others would play 34s in that situation.

You ran into a Nit with MUBS....

With all those draws out there, I likely never fold 88 to one bet. Even if you have like 109, we still have 6 outs. And given all the draws, we could still have the best hand.

If I had 88 there, I likely shove. Being the pre-flop aggressor, even if someone has the 9, they likely have to be afraid of an overpair.....but anyway.

Hand as played you won some chips. Over the long run, I think it is -ev.
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    You ran into a Nit with MUBS....
    Villian and I have a history, playing in these tourney's we have been at the same table several times. My reputation played a factor. I doubt he has ever seen me bet out instead of check to the raiser. He had to have put me on A9 or TT JJ QQ. or a set.
    His reputation induced me to play the way I did. As I knew I could get him off the hand.
    Villian and I have a history, playing in these tourney's we have been at the same table several times. My reputation played a factor. I doubt he has ever seen me bet out instead of check to the raiser. He had to have put me on A9 or TT JJ QQ. or a set.
    His reputation induced me to play the way I did. As I knew I could get him off the hand.

I call total bs
  • Villain would have to view you as a nit as well. One that would slow play (for some god awful reason) 1010+ preflop.

If villains read of you is that you were never leading out with a draw here, villain likely really does have mubs and is a very bad player.

He pretty assigned you a range of hands all which beat his (hence MUBS). Not taking into consideration that your range and that board has more draws in it than over pairs or sets.

Like I said, you managed to take it down preflop this time. But I wouldn't make a habit of playing this hand, this short and OOP often.

Oh, and hopefully you can keep villain at your table....it sounds like they are +ev.
  • I don't think you can count on running into this bad of a player often..... If he had 88 and folded, my god... He likely has never made the money before...
    Why?

I mean you're basically saying villain thinks you're not only slowplaying your big hands preflop, but also leading out with them on the flop? And that you're not defending garbage, which clearly you are. It just sounds way too unlikely to be true when most live villains are more herp derp chips flying
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    Villain would have to view you as a nit as well. One that would slow play (for some god awful reason) 1010+ preflop.

If villains read of you is that you were never leading out with a draw here, villain likely really does have mubs and is a very bad player.

He pretty assigned you a range of hands all which beat his (hence MUBS). Not taking into consideration that your range and that board has more draws in it than over pairs or sets.

Like I said, you managed to take it down preflop this time. But I wouldn't make a habit of playing this hand, this short and OOP often.

Oh, and hopefully you can keep villain at your table....it sounds like they are +ev.
    I only figured those are the hands he put me on to fold why else would he fold 88. He is not a nit.

I'm looking for advice on calling in that situation given blinds and antes, with near minimum raise, with chip stack sizes. I lean towards calling with anything. I guess I'm wrong.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I don't think you can count on running into this bad of a player often..... If he had 88 and folded, my god... He likely has never made the money before...

Villian is one of the top players in the league... often final tabling, cashing out the most actually.
    Perhaps he lied about having 88? poker players occasionally lie?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I mean you're basically saying villain thinks you're not only slowplaying your big hands preflop, but also leading out with them on the flop? And that you're not defending garbage, which clearly you are. It just sounds way too unlikely to be true when most live villains are more herp derp chips flying
    I'm just trying to explain it as I saw it go down.
    Villian is one of the top players in the league... often final tabling, cashing out the most actually.
    Perhaps he lied about having 88? poker players occasionally lie?
    If he really is a top player, either he lied or that is maybe the worst league around. Where is this league? ;)
  • Yes upon evaluation of one hand played the league is the worst around.
    York region poker league. He has advertised here and has been running the league for years. A lot of regulars. Not that means anyone is good.
    They welcome any new players if you think easy money there. :)
    Yes upon evaluation of one hand played the league is the worst around.
    York region poker league. He has advertised here and has been running the league for years. A lot of regulars. Not that means anyone is good.
    They welcome any new players if you think easy money there. :)

If it's who I think it is, he lied, He didn't have 88.. Rocky is way too good for that.. And I'm beginning to think we're not hearing the whole story..