You make the play #5

Opponent Calandi is a calling station pre-flop. (Voluntarily puts money in pot 60%+ pre-flop)

2/4 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Sun Apr 18 13:52:20 EDT 2004
Table Table 11857 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: ScottyZ ( $249.50)
Seat 2: InYourPocket ( $105.50)
Seat 3: bentinck1131 ( $23.25)
Seat 4: swivell ( $27)
Seat 5: michaelEdw ( $116)
Seat 6: kpux1 ( $99)
Seat 7: screenz ( $214.50)
Seat 8: Calandi ( $111)
Seat 9: Tallpower ( $214.50)
Seat 10: HILLBILLY420 ( $312)
kpux1 posts small blind (1)
screenz posts big blind (2)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ScottyZ [ 9h, 9s ]
Calandi calls (2)
Tallpower folds.
HILLBILLY420 calls (2)
ScottyZ raises (4) to 4
InYourPocket folds.
bentinck1131 calls (4)
swivell folds.
kpux1 folds.
screenz calls (2)
Calandi calls (2)
HILLBILLY420 calls (2)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6d, 5s, 6c ]
screenz checks.
Calandi bets (2)
HILLBILLY420 folds.
ScottyZ raises (4) to 4
bentinck1131 folds.
screenz folds.
Calandi calls (2)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
Calandi checks.

Now it's heads-up, you're last to act. Check or bet?

ScottyZ

Comments

• We know calandi is a calling station pre-flop but is he also to the river as well? I guess no since you did not say he was.. Is he capable of check raising?

I bet.
    If he raises I fold.
  • I'd bet too. The 99 is probably good and if not we'll find out. Also, if he's holding overcards thinking he has the best kicker we'd better make him pay to draw to it. If Calandi is capable of bluffing I'd call him down to the end if he raises -- if not then it's an easy fold.
  • Hmmm...this is a tough one. Most "calling stations" I play with are the loose, passive kind...meaning they won't bet out on a flop unless they get a piece of it. It is troubling to me that Calandi was first up and shot out a bet on the flop...would he/she bet with overcards?

What do you gain by betting? Even really weak calling stations are likely to be scared by that board if they have nothing but Ace-high, and you've already represented strength pre-flop, so if you're ahead, it would be tough to get another call out of Calandi.

I think I would check and call in this situation.
  • We know calandi is a calling station pre-flop but is he also to the river as well? I guess no since you did not say he was.. Is he capable of check raising?

In 56 hands:

1. This player was *never* observed check-raising.

2. This player was very passive on all streets except the river, where he was very aggressive. He rarely (11%) just called on the river, but won 100% of the hands he did call.

[Poker Tracker r00lz!]

3. I had seen this player make a "desparation river bet" at least once.

ScottyZ
  • Bet baby bet!
  • I'd put him on an Ace/? suited, or offsuit. (edited, forgot this was limit) You also have a higher pair than both on the board. I'd bet in this situation. But that's just me. lol
  • check/raise
  • oops he check to you, i would bet
  • I checked here with the intention of calling on the river, or betting on the river if it's checked to me. (The only hand I had the feeling my opponent might check was an Ace.)

I figure I win no more bets if I bet the turn and my opponent has nothing, and will probably induce a desparation bluff on the river if the same is true. And if I'm losing, I maybe save a bet or two.

The main idea on the turn is that I had to balance the possibilities of my opponent drawing to two overcards, or having me beat already. And when a calling station bets out on the flop into a few players, I've got to thing he's got something. I turned out to be wrong about that, but right about getting the extra river bluff bet, so I think I got the most value possible out of this hand any way it could have gone down. (A calling station may have called the turn, but not the river, which was also worth one bet total; but I put more bets at risk.)

Also, I don't think that betting here is a bad play at all, and that's kind of why I posted this hand. If I didn't have the feeling that I might induce a river bluff here if I was good, I would have bet the turn most of the time. So this hand strikes me as one where I normally would bet the turn, but with a little extra information, I made an alternative play which seemed to work well. The "information" was really just somewhat of a gut feeling that he would bet the river with nothing, but it was interesting that this style could also be confirmed from the Poker Tracker "aggressiveness on each street" stats for this player.

ScottyZ

2/4 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Sun Apr 18 13:52:20 EDT 2004
    Table Table 11857 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
    Total number of players : 10
    Seat 1: ScottyZ ( $249.50)
    Seat 2: InYourPocket ( $105.50)
    Seat 3: bentinck1131 ( $23.25)
    Seat 4: swivell ( $27)
    Seat 5: michaelEdw ( $116)
    Seat 6: kpux1 ( $99)
    Seat 7: screenz ( $214.50)
    Seat 8: Calandi ( $111)
    Seat 9: Tallpower ( $214.50)
    Seat 10: HILLBILLY420 ( $312)
    kpux1 posts small blind (1)
    screenz posts big blind (2)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to ScottyZ [ 9h, 9s ]
    Calandi calls (2)
    Tallpower folds.
    HILLBILLY420 calls (2)
    ScottyZ raises (4) to 4
    InYourPocket folds.
    bentinck1131 calls (4)
    swivell folds.
    kpux1 folds.
    screenz calls (2)
    Calandi calls (2)
    HILLBILLY420 calls (2)
    ** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6d, 5s, 6c ]
    screenz checks.
    Calandi bets (2)
    HILLBILLY420 folds.
    ScottyZ raises (4) to 4
    bentinck1131 folds.
    screenz folds.
    Calandi calls (2)
    ** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
    Calandi checks.
    ScottyZ checks.
    ** Dealing River ** : [ 7c ]
    Calandi bets (4)
    ScottyZ calls (4)
    ** Summary **
    Main Pot: $35.50 | Rake: $1.50
    Board: [ 6d 5s 6c 5h 7c ]
    ScottyZ balance $273, bet $12, collected $35.50, net +$23.50 [ 9h 9s ] [ two pairs, nines and sixes -- 9h,9s,7c,6d,6c ]
    InYourPocket balance $105.50, didn't bet (folded)
    bentinck1131 balance $19.25, lost $4 (folded)
    swivell balance $27, didn't bet (folded)
    michaelEdw balance $116, sits out
    kpux1 balance $98, lost $1 (folded)
    screenz balance $210.50, lost $4 (folded)
    Calandi balance $99, lost $12 [ Qd Js ] [ two pairs, sixes and fives -- Qd,6d,6c,5s,5h ]
    Tallpower balance $214.50, didn't bet (folded)
    HILLBILLY420 balance $308, lost $4 (folded)