MTT Online help (need advice)

Alright CPFers i need any help from any of you successful online player(s) cause at the moment my results are horrendous!!!!!!

A little bit about me for those who don't know me.. i frequent alot of live games in the kw and Cambridge area and im very passionate about my game and love talking about the game. I am very profitable live, which i prefer, but the convenience and accessibility of the online world is too tempting and brutalizing me.

What bothers me the most is that i know im capable of putting up positive ROIs but the variance of these cards are tenderizing my spirits, and forcing me to evaluate my game and put to use any tips which can be beneficial and build on constructive criticism offered by anyone wiling.

P0cketAz is my stars and ftp id and the numbers are terrible!! If it wasnt for my live game id be in trouble.

Firstly i wanna thank any & all the advice given, and respect anything geared towards improving my results into 2013 and on. Im sure members who know me would attest that im an ok player and capable of better results.

Alot is psychological but all tips to increase focus or minimize distractions will help me establish the proper mindset in the bigger picture im sure.

Some questions id love advice or solutions too are:

- How to manage a big stack?

- How to approach an over aggro. table with AJs AKo AQo TT n lower?

- When in BB facing a 4BB shove and under, with a 9M stack what hand range do i consider calling

- When 3-bet with a double average stack, with JTs-65s, with implied odds vs. a bigger stack, is it worth peeling a flop?

- When short stacked in ante stage, M of 6 lets say, what hand ranges should i be shoving?

Comments

• What specifically do you need help with?

By your OP im gathering that you have the tools and brain to make sense of things with this crazy game

If I could offer any advice at all, I would say that volume is most key, and never stop learning.

I look forward to reading the rest of this thread.
  • costanza wrote: »
    What specifically do you need help with?

By your OP im gathering that you have the tools and brain to make sense of things with this crazy game

If I could offer any advice at all, I would say that volume is most key, and never stop learning.

you clearly do not practice what you preach lol
  • Im after a nice consistency which alot of players ive followed on this site seem to have. Im definitely not an idiot in my poker knowledge, and i am able to comprehend my flaws, im just looking for feedback from the experienced online successors to transfer into my game.

Ill be sure to track progress on this thread and attempt to thank everyone personally for all their input.

The biggest tip i received at a poker table was 6 years ago when an older gentleman explained how the poker life is not a sprint, its a marathon. Took me years to absorb that but its so accurate and a motto every player should abide by.
  • 1 thing i definitely have working for me from this point forward is that my reputation is so bad that i could get called in situations where the good players would not. Now its just being able to lay down in spots where i would be the POW is the question
  • costanza wrote: »
    What specifically do you need help with?

This is a poker forum for people who play poker btw.....

just in case you didnt know >:D
  • you guys are so funny....
  • Let's start from the beginning. What is your bankroll ? What limits are you currently playing ?

How much time can you devote to playing / studying ?

Do you only want to play MTT or are you open to other games (MTT SNG, etc) ?
  • I have played with OP quite a bit and can vouch for him in that he is a thoughtful thinking live player with good success. please keep the suggestions and ideas constructive. I have almost the exact same issues online that he has so will follow this with great interest.
    My feelings are that some of us are just more suited to the live game as we use our "social" skills to advantage whereas the online game is more math and numbers.
  • And I think those guys are funny too, but lets stay on track. Point made.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Let's start from the beginning. What is your bankroll ? What limits are you currently playing ?

How much time can you devote to playing / studying ?

Do you only want to play MTT or are you open to other games (MTT SNG, etc) ?

ive rolled up a comfortable 6k "poker roll" i call it which is primarily for my poker use.

Online split between stars and ftp im sitting on a 1k bankroll, i primarly stick to $7-15 S+Gs and $22 and under MTTs guarantees. HU i use the rule of 5... where if you plus 5 wins vs losses move up to play 1 HU at the next level until i lose then drop down. not the best philosphy im aware and am now consciously trying to cut it out.

i spend approximately 20-30 hours playing or reading, sometimes both.

id prefer a healthy mix of mtt s+gs and mtt guarantees, ultimate goal is hopefully to ship an MTT guarantee but realistically use this as a training tool to become more consistent and improve my ROI.
  • little advice... $0.10-$0.25 Rush i played earlier this morning. heres the hand... right play?

i just felt a 4-bet meant aces

Full Tilt Poker Game #31355387186: Table Apollo - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:51:38 ET - 2012/11/09
    Seats: 9
    Seat 1: katjka1980 ($34.91)
    Seat 2: pfckick ($67.11)
    Seat 3: Sebastiaan74 ($12.94)
    Seat 4: arasil ($12.50)
    Seat 5: 2crazyace ($30.98)
    Seat 6: Elrania ($30.16)
    Seat 7: Johan75a ($25)
    Seat 8: el_inteligente ($29.19)
    Seat 9: p0cketAz ($108.01)
    Sebastiaan74 posts the small blind of $0.10
    arasil posts the big blind of $0.25
    The button is in seat #2
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to p0cketAz [Ks Kh]
    2crazyace folds
    Elrania folds
    Johan75a calls $0.25
    el_inteligente raises to $1.10
    p0cketAz raises to $3.46
    katjka1980 folds
    pfckick folds
    Sebastiaan74 folds
    arasil folds
    Johan75a calls $3.21
    el_inteligente has 15 seconds left to act
    el_inteligente has requested TIME
    el_inteligente raises to $10.50
    p0cketAz has 15 seconds left to act
    p0cketAz folds
    Johan75a folds
    Uncalled bet of $7.04 returned to el_inteligente
    el_inteligente mucks
    el_inteligente wins the pot ($10.73)
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $10.73 | Rake $0
    Seat 1: katjka1980 didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 2: pfckick (button) didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 3: Sebastiaan74 (small blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 4: arasil (big blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 5: 2crazyace didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 6: Elrania didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 7: Johan75a folded before the Flop
    Seat 8: el_inteligente collected ($10.73), mucked
    Seat 9: p0cketAz folded before the Flop
  • as you can see i was rolling up nicely... the person left to act behind me i figured would have the hand range i could beat such as JJ-TT-99-AQ but the 4 bet to 10.50 made me feel like he wanted me to re-shove over top.
  • It seems that our online bankroll is very similar. As are the games we are playing. One of things I have come to realize lately, is that my bankroll is too small to play MTTs. Unless I get real lucky and bink a nice score, I'll eventually go bust.

My suggestion is find a game style that you can crush for a decent ROI. 9man SNG, 45man SNG, 180man SNG, it doesn't matter. Play at a buy-in level that is VERY conservative, so you don't sweat losing 10-20 in a row or let a bad beat tilt you. Play lots of volume to overcome variance.

Then reward yourself with a MTT or two with your profit. Rinse and repeat.
  • as you can see i was rolling up nicely... the person left to act behind me i figured would have the hand range i could beat such as JJ-TT-99-AQ but the 4 bet to 10.50 made me feel like he wanted me to re-shove over top.

I'm never folding KK in a $25NL cash game pre-flop. His range is still TT+ AKos and we are ahead of most of it.

Also, I see you looking for advice for online MTT and SNGs but are playing 25NL rush cash games ? I would suggest narrowing your focus for online play.
    I'm never folding KK in a $25NL cash game pre-flop. His range is still TT+ AKos and we are ahead of most of it.

Also, I see you looking for advice for online MTT and SNGs but are playing 25NL rush cash games ? I would suggest narrowing your focus for online play.

My main focus is improving my MTT and MTT s+g game, however i start work at 3pm and dont really have the time to play and focus properly on either.

That hand i thought would be a perfect for a brief discussion and where my thought process on hands is. i rarely fold KK just so everyone is aware but under those circumstances the way it played out in a tournament or cash table poker i think it merited a fold.
    It seems that our online bankroll is very similar. As are the games we are playing. One of things I have come to realize lately, is that my bankroll is too small to play MTTs. Unless I get real lucky and bink a nice score, I'll eventually go bust.

My suggestion is find a game style that you can crush for a decent ROI. 9man SNG, 45man SNG, 180man SNG, it doesn't matter. Play at a buy-in level that is VERY conservative, so you don't sweat losing 10-20 in a row or let a bad beat tilt you. Play lots of volume to overcome variance.

Then reward yourself with a MTT or two with your profit. Rinse and repeat.

definitely going to practice this and will monitor results per level.
  • I recently found a Bankroll Management system posted on another forum by someone named "jennifear". Its ultra conservative but also has a component where you pay yourself based on volume, not results.

It forces you to put in lots of volume, be a winning player at your current level, before you can move up in stakes.
  • rule number 1, dont fold kings pre.....there are very little situations where you fold them pre, and this isnt one of them
  • rule number 1, dont fold kings pre.....there are very little situations where you fold them pre, and this isnt one of them

fair enough.
  • First MTT of my new mentality is the midnight madness on FTP... couldnt resist the layover 300 players 4k guarantee

busto with 8 BBs shoved an A6 into a QJ and hit the straight.
  • First MTT of my new mentality is the midnight madness on FTP... couldnt resist the layover 300 players 4k guarantee

busto with 8 BBs shoved an A6 into a QJ and hit the straight.

Nothing you could do with the above hand. And that is a nice overlay.
  • im off to niagara for the day... but yesterday i was raising 2.5x BB and getting called in spots by marginal hands. is this an ideal raise, should i bump it up considering limpers, or with 1-3 limpers so i only limit my open range to high pair and AK?

i found myself opening AJs, AQo, TT-88 in those spots.

wondering if those are still good spots to raise with those hands and i just got the short end of the stick or should i be more selective
  • im off to niagara for the day... but yesterday i was raising 2.5x BB and getting called in spots by marginal hands. is the an ideal raise, should i bump it up considering limpers, or with 1-3 limpers so i only limit my open range to high pair and AK?

We want marginal hands to call us preflop. It does put more emphasis on post flop play, but when we hit our hand, we get paid.

Min raise preflop, plus 1BB for every limper.
    We want marginal hands to call us preflop. It does put more emphasis on post flop play, but when we hit our hand, we get paid.

Min raise preflop, plus 1BB for every limper.

Post flop was brutalizing me in the later stages... for example there was a hand i was in the cutoff i raised AJo and got called by the sb... Flop was 6 7 2 rainbow... he insta shoves on that flopno way i can call in that spot with AJ.. correct?

I folded. ftr
  • Post flop was brutalizing me in the later stages... for example there was a hand i was in the cutoff i raised AJo and got called by the sb... Flop was 6 7 2 rainbow... he insta shoves on that flopno way i can call in that spot with AJ.. correct?

I folded. ftr

It depends on how short stacked the SB was. He used a stop n go on you. Just call pre, then shove the flop, instead of shoving pre-flop. If you would have called a shove from him preflop, then I would call this one.

A lot of draws do this, knowing they have outs if you call them. And if not, they pick up the pot right there.

I don't call if the stacks are deep, or its early in the tourney.
  • So i joined the $5 18-man on FTP and using min raises after the 50-100 level worked pretty effectively i finished 2nd for $24... not serious money but positive ROI
  • So i joined the $5 18-man on FTP and using min raises after the 50-100 level worked pretty effectively i finished 2nd for $24... not serious money but positive ROI

1st success is finding a 18 man that will get started on ftp.:p
  • philliivey wrote: »
    1st success is finding a 18 man that will get started on ftp.:p

:laugh:
  • My computer crashed sunday morning as i was getting ready to begin my sunday grind... not too pleased but its time for a new computer anyways. Will definitely monitor once i get my new station set up.