Texas Hold'Em Tournament in Hamilton, Ontario

Comments

• Hey Fellow Poker Fanatics!

There will be a huge poker tournament in Hamilton run by a not-for-profit organization. This will be a wildly competitive event as the best poker players in Hamilton will be there. There will be over 100 people in attendance and huge cash prizes for the last table (winner takes majority and so on)! There will also be prize give-aways and raffles! It is Feb. 8th, 2013 at Marquis Gardens. If you need tickets, shoot me an e-mail!

Probably an easier sell if you can claim the worst players in Hamilton will be there.

Poker Forum Canada > Poker Forum > Online Poker Talk
    And where on-line in Hamilton will this be?
  • Hey Fellow Poker Fanatics! There will be a huge poker tournament in Hamilton run by a not-for-profit organization.

what organization?
    This will be a wildly competitive event as the best poker players in Hamilton will be there.

debatable. i won't be there. :D
    There will be over 100 people in attendance and huge cash prizes for the last table (winner takes majority and so on)!

whoa, whoa. cash prizes? is this legal?
    There will also be prize give-aways and raffles! It is Feb. 8th, 2013 at Marquis Gardens. If you need tickets, shoot me an e-mail!

tickets? does that include the buy-in? what is the buy-in btw?
  • The tournament will take place IN PERSON not online. It is at Marquis Gardens on Rymal Road Feb. 8th, 2013. It IS highly legal as it is run by a professional external company. This is for a not-for-profit organization which all proceeds will go to. Buy-in's/Tickets are $75 and that includes dinner! I will post more information as it becomes available. Tickets will be onsale in person next week or online now at HAMILTON HURRICANES Home Page ($80 online b/c of the service fee).

And someone said I should say that the worst players in Hamilton will be there, but I wont because the best will be there. Why I mentioned that is because we poker players are competitive by nature and to be the best you have to beat the best ;)

Are there rebuys ? For how long ? How much ?

Starting stack and blind levels, please.
  • Just so you understand, and not trying to be an ass and we all wish you the best of luck in raising money for your non profit organization. The legality of these games has been discussed on this forum hundreds of times.

There is no charity gaming license available for poker. It does not exist in Ontario, whether the game is run by an external company or not. As soon as you sell one can of pop, beer, pizza it's illegal. If any profit is gained directly or indirectly by anyone by means of the games presence, it's illegal.

Again, our laws are stupid in this area, but that's the way it currently is. Locally, here in Kincardine some of these tourneys were shut down by pressure from various government bodies. Usually, they just overlook them unless someone complains.

That being said, I hope you have a great tourney and make lots of money for your organization.
  • Just so you understand, and not trying to be an ass and we all wish you the best of luck in raising money for your non profit organization. The legality of these games has been discussed on this forum hundreds of times.

There is no charity gaming license available for poker. It does not exist in Ontario, whether the game is run by an external company or not. As soon as you sell one can of pop, beer, pizza it's illegal. If any profit is gained directly or indirectly by anyone by means of the games presence, it's illegal.

Again, our laws are stupid in this area, but that's the way it currently is. Locally, here in Kincardine some of these tourneys were shut down by pressure from various government bodies. Usually, they just overlook them unless someone complains.

That being said, I hope you have a great tourney and make lots of money for your organization.

think you scared him off bill :D
  • trigs wrote: »
    think you scared him off bill :D

It would appear so, although that wasn't my intention. I just think people should be aware of the realities of what they are undertaking. There are risks involved that remain completely variable due to the lack of consistency in the application of the laws. Around here there are charity tourneys every few months for various organizations and no problems.

If you happen to check back Pokerfanatic, the information I'm referring to can be found here:

Criminal Code of Canada, R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 197
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/FullText.html

Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario,
    Types of Charitable Gaming Lottery Licences
    http://www.agco.on.ca/en/services/types_licencecharitable_CNO.aspx
  • I emailed these guys for more info, because I live close by and this is what they sent me:

Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament Rules and Regulations

Blind Schedule, Entry Fee , Re-buys & Add-ons
    • $2000 in chips included with the entry fee

• First Round – (3) 20 Minute Blinds
    o Blinds 25/50 – 50/100 – 100/200
    ♣ Unlimited re-buys $30 for $2000 in chips if you lose all your chips
    ♣ Unlimited rebuys in the first hour
    • Re-buy must be made before start of next hand

• 15 Minute Break after 1 Hour
    o Add-on option $30 for $2000 in chips or $50 for $4000 in chips
    ♣ Limit one add-on per player

• 15 Minute Rounds – Knock out stage begins – play continues until 9 players are left for final table
    o No more re-buys or add-ons
    o Blinds 200/400 – 400/800 – 300-600- 500/1000 - 1000/2000 – 2000/4000 – 3000/6000 - 4000/8000 – 5000/10000 – 10000/20000 15000/30000 – 25000/50000

• Blinds Championship Round
    o 9 players are at the final table
    o Blinds will continue from where they ended in the knock out stage

• Please note that the blind schedule is subject to change due to time constraints.