Website Design

Need some assistance with some website ideas. Anyone ever use any of those overseas website design services (odesk.com, etc.)? Any good place in Canada to find some student web designers?

Comments

• Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.
  • "Proper" website design is an art and not cheap if you want a good job.. Anybody can make a website, even me, but to do it right so that it looks right on all types of devices and in all of the web browsers and to be discoverable in google searches is what costs. I have that type of skill available to me but if your budget is like a couple of hundred it isn't going to happen.
  • What kind of site are you looking for. Commerce or advertising?
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    What kind of site are you looking for. Commerce or advertising?

no commerce, just ad revenue.
  • I have a guy that is reasonable, he did the playerspokercanada and BigSlick websites.
    By reasonable you see still looking at 10kish+ for something sharp and very functional.
    Traced Method.
  • after my trip to the PCA, and all the excitement over Open Face Chinese Poker, picked up "openfacechinesepoker.ca" for two red chips. Might be worth something one day if this game keeps growing in popularity.

Might throw together a general info site on the game. Not much on the internet about it so far.
  • Good idea, that will probably turn into a good investment. I scooped up a forum name a little while ago a few days before someone else was going to register the exact same domain (unintentionally).

I'm sure you're looking for something professional, but I created my own website using a build-it your own sites, weebly.com. I works well for my needs. I has some built in revenue generation features. It has it's limits though.
  • There are still many variations available, so likely won't amount to much. Also registered PokerBAP.com last year but still haven't spent any effort on getting it up and running. Likely will work on it in 2013. Got the logo designed but that's it. Thought it might be good to have a central site for BAPs but there are a few already. 2+2 dominates this right now.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    after my trip to the PCA, and all the excitement over Open Face Chinese Poker, picked up "openfacechinesepoker.ca" for two red chips. Might be worth something one day if this game keeps growing in popularity.

Might throw together a general info site on the game. Not much on the internet about it so far.

New site logo. Now to get the site done. If anyone needs a logo designed, would love to recommend the guy I use. He has quick turnaround, very reasonable and can help with anything graphic related.
  • I like the logo, except it kind of looks like Chinese Open Face PoHer..
  • Looks good! You may want to change the colour tone of the dragon to the same red as the text. If u ever go far with this and print T-shirts or posters, this minor change will help costs.
  • I like the logo, except it kind of looks like Chinese Open Face PoHer..

fixed :)
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »
    Looks good! You may want to change the colour tone of the dragon to the same red as the text. If u ever go far with this and print T-shirts or posters, this minor change will help costs.

Thanks. Don't think this will go very far. This website thing is harder than it looks. Not sure how people make money off these websites?? Although my original site is now in the top five for searches on Google and Yahoo which is cool.
    Thanks. Don't think this will go very far. This website thing is harder than it looks. Not sure how people make money off these websites?? Although my original site is now in the top five for searches on Google and Yahoo which is cool.

Try adding more affiliate links. Once you have solid volume all the time, you can sell advertisement space. For now just keep working on drawing in volume.
  • what's considered solid volume all the time?
  • Just get darb on board to talk politics, and have Costanza discussing life as a pro, and Philli to deal with the on-line game, and you will have some traffic for sure . . .
  • what's considered solid volume all the time?

I don't think there is a exact answer to this. It's going to vary based on the market you're targeting. You can always compare your site on Alexa versus other sites in the same field.
  • Some savvy individuals made a lot of money YEARS ago from affiliate links or advertising, but even big companies like PokerStrategy are struggling. FTP and bwin.party have screwed their affiliates. It is the same as online poker, where some savvy players profited over $100,000 in previous years but their profits will keep going down.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    This website thing is harder than it looks. Not sure how people make money off these websites??
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Some savvy individuals made a lot of money YEARS ago from affiliate links or advertising, but even big companies like PokerStrategy are struggling. FTP and bwin.party have screwed their affiliates. It is the same as online poker, where some savvy players profited over $100,000 in previous years but their profits will keep going down.

That's a great point! But for a new site it's a good way to get some income coming in the door. There are non online poker room affiliate programs out there new sites can Benefit from.maybe even just eliminate operating costs
    New site logo. Now to get the site done.

Finally got OpenFaceChinesePoker.ca up and running. Have to throw together some strategy posts and fine tune it a bit.
  • I miss PAP :(

Used to be a great affiliate website geared towards online marketing,affiliates. At one point in time i had over 20 poker themed websites. Sold most off, still have a few dormant ones.
  • I believe Graham was a very active member on PAP as well
  • Can someone explain these affiliate stats to me:

July 2013:

Impressions: 4,781
    Clicks: 19
    CTR: 0.40%

Are Impressions when a page is loaded from the site with an affiliate banner? I assume Clicks are when someone actually clicks on one of the banners and is taken to an affiliate site. Is a CTR of 0.40% low or standard?

What other sites are helpful to get traffic details for your site? Thanks.
  • Impressions are the number of times the ad banner is loaded/displayeed, Clicks is how many times somebody clicked on your banner. CTR is Click-Through Rate and is equal to Impressions / Clicks. From what I remember, 0.40% is not too bad as most surfers are used to ignoring millions of ad banners. The banners on the right side of this forum probably have a lower CTR.

Your website host should have more detailed stats available. Alexa & Google may also have some traffic info for your site. Unfortunately, as I have personally experienced,

NO MONEY IN ONLINE ADVERTISING, EVERY SITE IS SOLID.
    Can someone explain these affiliate stats to me:

July 2013:

Impressions: 4,781
    Clicks: 19
    CTR: 0.40%

Are Impressions when a page is loaded from the site with an affiliate banner? I assume Clicks are when someone actually clicks on one of the banners and is taken to an affiliate site. Is a CTR of 0.40% low or standard?

What other sites are helpful to get traffic details for your site? Thanks.

After having openfacechinesepoker.ca up and running for over a year, I finally got my first two Pokerstars affiliate accounts opened, one in April and one in May. The revenue generated on the site so far is $1 in April and $3 in May, a 300% growth rate! If this growth rate continues, I should be a millionaire within two years :)

Or not :(
  • As I warned you before:
    There's no money in poker affiliates, everyone's squalid.
    After having openfacechinesepoker.ca up and running for over a year, I finally got my first two Pokerstars affiliate accounts opened, one in April and one in May. The revenue generated on the site so far is $1 in April and $3 in May, a 300% growth rate! If this growth rate continues, I should be a millionaire within two years :)

Or not :(
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As I warned you before:
    There's no money in poker affiliates, everyone's squalid.

If I could get you to sign up to Tonybet and start grinding OFCP, I could easily retire!