PLS Quiz Me!!

I created this thread to help me with my Poker training. As I research various topics in my "most important things to learn to crush online MTT's", I would like forum members to quiz me on a topic I post.

Once I finish up with a topic I will post the topic in this thread for others to quiz me on it. I will answer each question with my new found knowledge.My goal is to see if I completely understand each and every topic.

For my first Quiz, I would like you to list 10 poker terms.
(after a person posts, others are welcome to quiz , but pls just don't include terms in a previous post.)
thank you

Comments

• Lets start Old School . . .

Post Oak Bluff

Crying Call

Belly Buster

Walking Back to Houston

Tapping the Glass

Value Bet

Semi-Bluff

Drawing Dead

Rolled Up

Steaming
  • Post Oak Bluff
    when a player bets a small bet to represent a strong hand
    Crying Call
    when a player complains when making a call
    Belly Buster
    a inside straight draw
    Walking Back to Houston
    when a player overplays big slick, they're walking back to houston
    Tapping the Glass
    when a player displays frustration towards a weaker plr
    Value Bet
    When someone bets thinking they have the best hand
    Semi-Bluff
    betting with a drawing hand
    Drawing Dead
    when no cards in the deck can help you improve to best hand.
    Rolled Up
    being dealt a three of a kind in stud
    Steaming
    when a player plays wildly out of frustation

thanks milo, I knew alot of these awhile back, but forgot what some of them meant. I had to research a couple of them. the walking back to Houston term is a new one to me.

can we target holdem terms pls
  • Crying call is the call you make, knowing you are likely beat, but the amount bet is so small as to render the odds of losing meaningless . . . or something like that.
  • not quite sure exactly whats going on itt...
  • Milo wrote: »
    Crying call is the call you make, knowing you are likely beat, but the amount bet is so small as to render the odds of losing meaningless . . . or something like that.

lol @ my answer. I will add this to my list. tyty:D
  • costanza wrote: »
    not quite sure exactly whats going on itt...
    itt - in this thread. lol

working on my game from the ground up and just finished up with my first topic "Poker terms". Now I'm looking for members post terms for me to define. when i finish up with my next topic (EV) I will ask the forum to quiz me on that, then hand ranges and so on.
  • there is a thread already with poker terms iirc if u need reading material...
  • costanza wrote: »
    there is a thread already with poker terms iirc if u need reading material...

Not really looking for reading material. I'm just looking to be tested, maybe learn something new
  • Name these hands
    snowmen
    hockey sticks
    ducks
    brunson
    anna kournikova
    san franciscan waiter
    hammer
    ninja
    speed limit
    hooks
    gretz
    motown
    cum shot
    siegfried and roy

If you hold 10,5 what is the only straight you can not make?

Implied odds
    reverse implied odds
    moving button rule
    mississippi straddle
  • Value Bet
    When someone bets thinking they have the best hand
    An important distinction that separates a level of players is that a value bet is a bet when you think your opponent will call (or raise) with worse. This is a crucial point, often overlooked.
    Semi-Bluff
    betting with a drawing hand
    Like the value bet its important to add a bet with the intention of making villain fold out better hands a certain % of the time. If the villain won't fold anything better its not really a semi-bluff (or we can say its an incorrect time to semi-bluff but the distinction is important).

1. range.
    2. pot odds.
    3. hand equity
    4. 3betting for value.
    5. 3 betting as a bluff.
    6. fold equity
    7. EV
    8. odds to % conversion (and back)
    9.polarized range
    10.elastic ranges.
  • snowmen - 88
    hockey sticks - 77
    ducks - 22
    brunson - T2
    anna kournikova - AK(some say "looks good, plays bad")
    san franciscan waiter - Q3
    hammer - 72
    ninja - QK (tilt your head to the left)
    speed limit - 55
    hooks - JJ
    gretz - 99
    motown - J5
    cum shot - ???
    siegfried and roy - QQ

With this hand you have the ability to hit all straights

Implied odds - When you are drawing and figure you will make more money off your opponent after you happen to hit your hand.
    reverse implied odds - when a player is drawing, only to be behind if they hit their hand
    moving button rule - the button moves to the next live player even if another player does not post the BB or small SB

mississippi straddle - a type of straddle that can be made from any position at the table <<< Going to have to try this, sounds crazy
    darbday wrote: »
    An important distinction that separates a level of players is that a value bet is a bet when you think your opponent will call (or raise) with worse. This is a crucial point, often overlooked.

Like the value bet its important to add a bet with the intention of making villain fold out better hands a certain % of the time. If the villain won't fold anything better its not really a semi-bluff (or we can say its an incorrect time to semi-bluff but the distinction is important).

Thanks for the detailed correction. I will add it to my list.

1. range. - The entire spectrum of hands a player may hold

2. pot odds. - The odds of your hand improving in comparison to the amount of money you need to call in a pot

3. hand equity - the value of the our hand if we were to take it to showdown vs. the villain's range

4. 3betting for value. - A value 3bet is done with a hand that's stronger overall than the range you expect villain to continue with

5. 3betting as a bluff. - A bluff 3bet is any hand you can comfortably fold when 4 bet.

6. fold equity - It is the equity a player can expect to gain due to the opponent folding to his or her bets. It becomes more important when a player becomes short stacked.

7. EV - Expected value. What player expects to win on average over a large period of time. EV = (size of pot) * (% we win) - (size of bet) * ( % we lose)

8. odds to % conversion (and back)
    To convert odds to % - (cost to call) \ (pot+bet) = %
    To convert % Odds -(100%) \ (%) = odds

9.polarized range - Taking an action with only really strong or weak hands.

10.elastic ranges. A range that is affected by bet size

Pls correct me if i have anything wrong or you want me to go a little more in depth.

Thanks Milo, Moose and Darbday. I really enjoyed defining these! I learned a few new things, added to my master list and found new topics to research after I'm done with my list... And darbday a big thanks for adding terms that are on my topics of study list.

Right now I've been working on EV, so when I feel ready, I will be back for you all to quiz me again.
  • moose wrote: »
    Name these hands
    snowmen
    hockey sticks
    ducks
    brunson
    anna kournikova
    san franciscan waiter
    hammer
    ninja
    speed limit
    hooks
    gretz
    motown
    cum shot
    siegfried and roy

Implied odds
    reverse implied odds
    moving button rule
    mississippi straddle

One more. Montana bananna.
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    One more. Montana bananna.
    lol 92,because the hand is as likely to win as bananas are to grow in Montana.

Shitty deal at the OPT WPT sat! Hopefully Mark can win you some money.
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »
    Pls correct me if i have anything wrong or you want me to go a little more in depth.
    nice job i thought
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »

With this hand you have the ability to hit all straights

You can't make a 9 high straight holding 10 anything.
  • Lol at my level 1 thinking! Thanks mole
  • Over the past couple weeks I have been working on EV, Hand ranges and Pokerstove. I started with MTT's when I first looked at these topics, but found I wasn't achieving a large enough sample size on my opponents to properly put them on a range.

Being moved, limited time to play, variance and some bad play made me think outside the box. Lately I have been playing ring games to further understand these topics. Ring games give me time to break down each situation without worrying about some of the of the other MTT elements. When I move onto my next topics I will adjust back to MTT`s

So now that I have progressed in my studies, I would like you to quiz me on EV, hand ranges and Pokerstove.

Thank you,
    Ryan
  • EV of Fed moving across the country to play online poker?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    EV of Fed moving across the country to play online poker?

Please show your reasoning, and include Giraffes.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    EV of Fed moving across the country to play online poker?
    Can I answer this?

[-]

But what do I know...;)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Can I answer this?

[-]

But what do I know...;)

[-] = nice, I can't decipher the meaning of this symbol...you've blown my mind
  • lol Well if we're going to derail this thread, lets make it a little more interesting.:D
  • What is 4s4c hand called?
  • lol sick 1st post
  • gotta start some where... is this site not frequented by many? I don't see a lot of current posts.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    gotta start some where... is this site not frequented by many? I don't see a lot of current posts.

ppl post all the time!

stick around!