WPC invites you to..

The Waterloo Poker Cave is back in action!

You are invited to a NLHE Tourney Saturday March 5th at 5PM.

This will be a $25 buy in with maximum two rebuys of $25, availible during the first three rounds.

Players will have 1000 in chips and will be able to rebuy if they drop below 250.
Blinds start at 10/20.

Seating is limited and will go quickly. Please RSVP pokercave@gmail.com for details and confirmation.

Comments

• Well run tourney. I was card dead the whole time and didn't get far. I think my best hole cards were 55. Not sure if I even made it halfway. Congrats to Richie. Does he know yet that he won? :confused: (Usually when I wake up after a good drinking binge, I'm not surprised to find my pockets empty. What do you do when you wake up with your pockets full of cash? Check to make sure you still have your kidneys?)

Cash game afterwards was ...interesting. All I can say is, "Welcome to Bad Beat City. Population: Me." :eek: (ok, Jeff too.) Is Steve still on tilt? (ok, maybe he is the Mayor of Bad Beat City... :wink: )

It was frustrating to see Shopsy win the 'Richie' lottery. But I guess it would take a calling station strategy to beat the random betting strategy ("Two pretty blue ones. Or is it 147 white ones?" "Any four chips - you pick the colour") . I think I'm going to have to write a book. Anyone care to suggest names for the title? I have a few in mind. As you can sense, this was a wild game not unlike a train wreck. You don't want to play but you can't pull yourself away from the table. I really don't know how to beat a game like that but it looks like having Aces full of Kings when the maniac has Kings full of Aces (and shows them to you before you bet) is a very good way to go about it.

Too bad the Omaha game later was for such small stakes. I managed to increase my stack by a factor of about 5 I think. Flopped full houses, nut flushes and guys who want to see what you have can do that for you.

Thanks for hosting, Tyson. Can't wait for the next one.
  • Another good tourney!
    I think I can claim the title of "GOD OF SHORT STACK"
    Being down to 95 chips at 30/60 and fighting back up to get to 1075 at the 2nd break.
    Maybe next time I can catch those breaks when I'm at 1075 and jump to like 10k? :D
    Until next time
  • great tournament tyson. when i was leaving you said 'not even going to let us try and win our money back?'

tyson, and other night i woudl have satyed for a few hours more and played 'till my pockets were dry, but that 2nd place finish to richard had me on tilt, LARGE.

looking back now, there are only 2 mistakes i think i made all night. big ones in my opinion.

1. When it was at 3 tables, i was chip leader at the table and the 2nd larges stack called all-in in front of me. i was holding pocket queens. The read i was getting from him was Kings or arrows. i knew if i called i woudl just be setting myself up to double him up, and effectively just hand him the chip lead. I called without thinking enough about it. My strategy was to build a big stack and then tighten up. And i mean get really friggin tight. So calling with queens liek that was such a bad move in my mind. as it happened, he had Ax and his ace didnt hit. i busted him and grew my stack significantly. HOWEVER, it really put me on tilt that i just put my chips in such danger liek that. it took me a few hands to gather myself. anyone have an opinion on this? i personally think i was overvaluing my queens, all it takes is an A or k to hit to screw me right?

2. When it got heads up with richard, i went about it all wrong. My heads-up strategy usually is just hyper aggressive. make them fold their blinds to me over and over and make them feel dominated. as soon as they show the signs of a good hand, fold to it unless i hold the nuts and aggrivate them more. as i look back now on how richard was playing (or i shoudl say how the booze was playing HIM) i see i shoudl have been waiting for monsters. as he was to drunk to not call or raise, i should have waited him out. i should have tightened up. i would definately welcome opinions from anyone here. no matter how harsh.

thanks alot tyson and everyone who played, and thanks to graham for dealing the entire final table. Did richard end up tipping graham? we all aggreed we shoudl tip graham for his fine dealing skills. :wink:

Johnny
  • Thanks again Tyson for a great tournament. It was my 1st time at the WPC and wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a good group of guys and you (and Graham dealing) did an excellent job of keeping things running smoothly.
    Wish I had a few more cards to play, but I was pretty happy with what I squeezed from what I got (Pkrface I might have to dispute your title of short stack king - down to a few hundred at 5th level and finished 8th).
    Hope to see eveyone at the next one.
    Cheers,
    Tim
  • Thanks everyone for making it another great event.

Especially Graham, he took care of the tourney into the late rounds and I can't express how much I appreciate that, again a stand up guy!

As for the winner; Congrats Richie! :D

John, I know how you feel. Heads up pure aggresion is a great strategy against a 'competent opponent'. Problem was you were against a lucky, happy bingo player.
    Striaght up, boring, fustrating, let the cards help you win poker. WPC, PSPP, and BSNC all have good players, which will understand EV of cards, however Richie had a pretty paint with another pretty paint, who cares if the colours of them clash?

The cash game was wild afterward, I have to say I have seen quads just kill players and was happy to see that I wasn't another victim.

.25/.50 NL, raise to 4 reraised to 10 and called preflop. Flop comes 7K7.
    Bet to $10, reraised all in for $40 called, cards get flipped KK vs 77. Jeff, I just don't think there is a way to get away from your kings full.... just chalk it up in the notes for a book one day :)

As the game got later, well I really felt we were in Rounders at the Taj, all sharks around one table feeding on the tourists. My favorite line, "Do you have a 5?... Perfect!".

Pkrface, well you win this round with the 67s vs AA. However, I forgot two qualifiers here, I'm supposed to be big stack AND the other player has to have enough infront of him to give me $EV if I hit. Calling all in's with 25% of your stack to prove a point....well lets say I need to gain control of that :redface:

Have to say my EGO killed me again in the tourny, if I get control of the dumb calls then I might have a chance, think I read that in a book somewere.

Looking forward to making an annoucnement for the KWSOP. A three day event which a champion coming out on the end.

Thanks to everyone again,

Tyson
  • Redington wrote:

As the game got later, well I really felt we were in Rounders at the Taj, all sharks around one table feeding on the tourists. My favorite line, "Do you have a 5?... Perfect!".

I had a comment about this; This was between guys who had played together a few times. The booze had gotten heavy and so did the smoke.

There were 7 of us playing against one person, and for the most part he was breaking people with luck and well umm I guess you would say his "Savious faire". (until the last hand). Every hand was one of us taking a chance against this huge stack, hence the reference.

So please don't take this personal, considering I busted out of the tourney before most , it is hard to make a critism of anyone elses play.

Even if that play involves calling a 4BB raise out of EP to catch a str against a set of jacks, then going all in and making me call with my set of jacks. :D:D:D

Nice catch...yes nice throw :D

Sorry if I sounded like an ass..... I tend to do that alot
  • I wasn't sure how much was true drunkenness and how much was an act. That is until he passed out at the table. I was a bit concerned since I was in the 'spray' zone.

His poker instincts were unnatural. Even the hand he went bust on was Kings full of Aces against Aces full of Kings. Not exactly a terrible hand! He was also smart enough to only dip very slightly into the huge pile of cash he won. Even though he didn't know the value of his own chips, he seemed to know the value of someone else's down at the far end of the table. Really made me wonder.

It was truly awesome to watch. Not quite as pleasant to fund. I actually made back most of what I lost earlier so I'm not complaining.