Did I play this hand wrong?

Is this just a bad beat?
Would you have played this any differently?

PokerStars Game #389424655: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2004/04/15 -
23:58:25 (ET)
Table 'Badenia' Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: lobojiji ($122.80 in chips)
Seat 2: farlzz ($61.80 in chips)
Seat 3: Morfiend ($94 in chips)
Seat 5: esool ($69.25 in chips)
Seat 6: J Boliek ($95.60 in chips)
Seat 8: Kleptic ($93.50 in chips)
Seat 9: swannie69 ($112.10 in chips)
swannie69: posts small blind $0.50
lobojiji: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to esool [As Kc]
farlzz: calls $1
homeboy79 joins the table at seat #4
Morfiend: calls $1
esool: raises $2 to $3
J Boliek: folds
Kleptic: raises $7 to $10
swannie69: folds
lobojiji: folds
farlzz: folds
Morfiend: folds
esool: calls $7
*** FLOP *** [Th Jh Qs]
>
>
>
>
esool: checks
Kleptic: bets $10
esool: raises $20 to $30
Captin Jack joins the table at seat #7
Kleptic: raises $53.50 to $83.50 and is all-in
esool: calls $29.25 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Th Jh Qs] [Jd]
*** RIVER *** [Th Jh Qs Jd] [Qd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
esool: shows [As Kc] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Kleptic: shows [Qh Qc] (four of a kind, Queens)
Kleptic collected $139 from pot

Comments

• Nah, I woudlve done it the same way except I might of folded near the turn or probably at the river because I would've become extremely wary that he did puck up a four of a kind. Stupid online deals...
  • esool couldn't have folded at the turn, he and the other player were both all-in after the flop. He also lost after the turn card, and got destroyed at the river.

I would have probably made the same call esool.
  • Oops, my bad djw. Forgot about that. Yeah, I would've called too.
  • Nothing wrong with getting all your money in there on that flop.

Pre-flop you have some options when it's re-raised, and there's really a lot of personal preference & opponent read in playing AK. All four options (fold, call, re-raise pot, re-raise overbet) are good in the right situation and/or personal style.

Folding would be pretty rare (especially if you're not facing a huge amount of chips for the re-raise), but not impossible if your opponent is an extreme rock.

Calling is sensible against an unknown (or average) player to see if you can spike your pair (or better).

You might also consider re-raising if you are getting the sense that your opponent is trying to push you (or everyone) around. In this case, it may be that AK is actually the best hand; but also, when you represent a significant hand a heavy bluffer (who is also a good player) will tend to back off quickly when they realize that they cannot be in control of the betting in this hand. Of course, against a heavy bluffer who is a *bad* player, you fold and wait for a better spot. 8)

Overall, I think you played this fine, but to be honest, I wouldn't call this a bad beat because I think your opponent also plays it fine. Your opponent's play might not look so great if he *knows* you have AK, but I think he figures that he's not folding this hand, so choses an aggressive gameplan. You are certainly the favorite here on the flop (about 6-4), but there is no point at which you caused him to make an incorrect call in terms of implied odds.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Overall, I think you played this fine, but to be honest, I wouldn't call this a bad beat because I think your opponent also plays it fine. Your opponent's play might not look so great if he *knows* you have AK, but I think he figures that he's not folding this hand, so choses an aggressive gameplan. You are certainly the favorite here on the flop (about 6-4), but there is no point at which you caused him to make an incorrect call in terms of implied odds.

ScottyZ

Yeah your right...I would have played his hand pretty similar..... :)