MP: 8,700.00
MP+1: 11,013.00
LP: 7,849.00
Hero (CO): 8,122.00
BTN: 8,090.00
SB: 8,924.00
BB: 7,646.00
UTG: 4,860.00

UTG+1 posts ante 15.00, MP posts ante 15.00, MP+1 posts ante 15.00, LP posts ante 15.00, Hero posts ante 15.00, BTN posts ante 15.00, SB posts ante 15.00, BB posts ante 15.00, UTG posts ante 15.00, SB posts SB 60.00, BB posts BB 120.00

Pre Flop: (315.00) Hero has Jc Jd

UTG raises to 240.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 240.00, BTN raises to 600.00, fold, fold, UTG calls 360.00, Hero calls 360.00

Flop: (2115.00, 3 players) 6h 5h Th
UTG bets 1,800.00, fold, fold

UTG wins 2,115.00

Comments

• Snap 3b pre, I hate the flat
  • costanza wrote: »
    Snap 3b pre, I hate the flat

yeah i agree. i've done this before too thinking that i'll play it like a smaller pocket pair though. doesn't seem to work out well however.
  • Before you decided your action (flat or raise) what were you thinking before the action got to you? Were you looking to play a big pot or just passive?

I mean if you are 3B what are you looking to do on the flop? Are you looking to get it in on a rag board? You are pretty deep and playing for stacks may not be necessary at this point?
  • wat?

PLAYING FOR STACKS IS ALWAYS NECESSARY IMO
  • You are pretty deep and playing for stacks may not be necessary at this point?

that was my reasoning for just flatting and playing it like a small pocket pair. miss the flop = easy fold.
  • again, I think you played this just fine. 3 betting pre is an option, but as played we fold flop to the huge bet since our equity is meh
  • We don't make decisions to stack off based on just our hands. If your doing that your not gonna beat the rake; the general field is too good.

When we are deciding whether to flat or 3bet, we ask a very simple question:

Am I ahead of his 4bet/get-it-in range?

If he only 4bets QQ+ and AK then you are crushed when you get your money in (63/36).

We don't even care about how deep we are, we only care about our equity and dead money (there is little in this hand).

If you can't profitable get it in vs his 4bet, then you can flat according to gap theory (I will usually flat JJ here).

If a hand that is too weak to 3bet or flat sometimes you can 3bet as a bluff and fold to a 4bet. You will do this vs good regs because their range has a lot of air in it, and we can make money off our junk hands and fold to his 4bets.

I might re-pop and get its in vs the button here, would try to find some sort of read though. After the squeeze I prob call and setmine/evaluate ya i usually fold flop here. Mostly cause its mono and you have no flush card, that kills your equity here especially 3 way and sometimes your already crushed.
  • Flatting jacks Here is horrible

If villian on the puck is any sort of competent , this is a great spot for a squeeze with a wide range.
  • what in the what now? OP is playing a freaking micro millions field with a million runners, ofc we're gonna play our hand without trying to overthink villains tendencies over a 100 hand (at best) sample

Also, if button squeezes wide this is a perfect omfg my mouth is watering flat spot
    wat?

Is this a vacuum play or overall tourney strategy? In otherwords jj+ is a snap shove no matter how deep we are?(BB and level) I am just trying to understand if this a volume reload tournaments or if shoving with JJ is profitable this early in a tourney.

It may be a leak in my game, I don't like to re-open with jj under...especially with 30bb+
  • I'll just type out my thought process here with why we 3 bet in this spot and not flat, I didn't say we are cramming here, I just said we are 3b'ing

3 betting here allows us to put villian(s) on a way more specific range . If we 3b in this spot and get 4b behind, or by utg, we can assume that their ranges are always TT+ aq+ . We can flat their 4b and easily fold if overs come... if they shove on our 3b, we can always assume that they have AK, KK, QQ, TT maaayyyyyybe AQ, and even then we are flipping/dominated so if they move in, we will be all like :-\

do we get it in pre here?

Personally, I would consider it lol. for me, the deeper stacked I am, the better- I can open up more, 3,4,5b light, and start being hyper aggro and keep chipping up ... its worth it to me to hopefully be flipping so that I can have my edge. this might sound like an insane reasoning but its the way it is. I always feel like I need to get deep so I can start playing post flop with villians

For others, maybe playing a more passive style, and waiting to get your money in good and chipping up that way is better.. its less variance and it works. Some people's pre flop game is sharper than playing post flop and factoring in hand equity, value, and pricing to peel cards

Also, I forgot to mention... Alot of these type of decisions are very villian dependant.. so note taking and HUD stats are even more helpful on putting villians on ranges and determining where we stand pre.

should also add, in this hand, its villian dependant.. there's no questioning Jacks suck, period.

also, utg isnt nutted, his lead is way to big to be value....
    Snap 3b pre, I hate the flat
    You need to stop 'snap' doing anything.
    costanza wrote: »
    wat?

Why so caps lock?
    Flatting jacks Here is horrible

If villian on the puck is any sort of competent , this is a great spot for a squeeze with a wide range.
    Flatting jacks isn't horrible. This isn't a great spot for a squeeze nor is bu squeeze range very wide
    3 betting here allows us to put villian(s) on a way more specific range .
    this is not a reason to 3 bet, I wrote the reasons above...you are ignoring them
    If we 3b in this spot and get 4b behind, or by utg, we can assume that their ranges are always TT+ aq+ . We can flat their 4b and easily fold if overs come... if they shove on our 3b, we can always assume that they have AK, KK, QQ, TT maaayyyyyybe AQ, and even then we are flipping/dominated so if they move in, we will be all like:-\
    This is the opposite way to play poker. Any time you 3betting and then he 4bets and say to yourself ":-\Oh fuck:-\" you know you are doing it wrong.
    do we get it in pre here?
    no thats ridiculous
    Personally, I would consider it lol. for me, the deeper stacked I am, the better- I can open up more
    Nope.
    3,4,5b light, and start being hyper aggro
    I'd recommend not doing any such thing.

... its worth it to me to hopefully be flipping so that I can have my edge.
    Your edge comes from not doing any of this stuff, not from putting your stack in with a marginal hand against villains nutted range.
    this might sound like an insane reasoning but its the way it is.
    yes its insane and no its not the way it is at all
    I always feel like I need to get deep so I can start playing post flop with villians
    You are as deep as you get in tourney poker, and you are avoiding post flop by trying to go the chips in pre.
    For others, maybe playing a more passive style, and waiting to get your money in good and chipping up that way is better.. its less variance and it works.
    Its not less variance to wait to get your money in good, its winning poker.
    Some people's pre flop game is sharper than playing post flop and factoring in hand equity, value, and pricing to peel cards
    Now you are just saying random poker words.
    Also, I forgot to mention... Alot of these type of decisions are very villian dependant.. so note taking and HUD stats are even more helpful on putting villians on ranges and determining where we stand pre.
    Yes but you have to use them for them to help.
    should also add, in this hand, its villian dependant
    What exactly did you depend on to make this decision?
    .. there's no questioning Jacks suck, period.
    Yes there is questioning it because Jacks don't suck at all, they are among the top 2 percent hands you can be dealt.
    also, utg isnt nutted, his lead is way to big to be value....
    Utg is obviously nutted and betting for value.
  • edited out of respect
  • darb, you always go out of your way to critique my analysis, i was just offereing my own insight, just like you offer yours

you are no better than me, in fact, stats will show im a much better mtt player than you

stop berating my thought process, even though it differs from yours.
    edited out of respect
    This WILL make sense to you...and you WILL become a Jedi Knight.
  • i dont want to be a jedi anything, i just want to play poker and play it well

we all have different styles

there is no denying your turbo game is off the chain and that you are excellent with math and theory

im so sick of you making me out to look like a retard when i shed some light from my point of view
    there is no denying your turbo game is off the chain

I thought it was all the same though?

Also I dont really think Darb was trying to attack you here. I think he raised some good points to be honest... Ur thought process had me scratching my head a bit at times. And thats fine! Thats what this forum is all about...
    darb, you always go out of your way to critique my analysis, i was just offereing my own insight, just like you offer yours

you are no better than me, in fact, stats will show im a much better mtt player than you

stop berating my thought process, even though it differs from yours.

graphs?
  • not going to get into this

everyone has their own views on how to play the game

mine differes from darb's no big deal

sorry for opening my yap and over reacting, im really on edge lately.
  • np...charts then?

what happened to the live cash game plans?
  • I see points from both which is good because I was trying to pick up some additional rationales behind for playing "premium hands" a certain way.

My thought process has always been in a vacuum most times when you 3bet with JJ and unless you have a super read or he's a euro donk the 4bet is the "oh fuck" and then you are usually left to call the 4 bet and fold if you brick or fold pre and cry about it later.

I also look at it from a pot building prospective in a way that if villian is a hyper aggro donk he is still going to be giving you credit if you are 3 betting and will establish a range depending on your profile.

So example: you 3 bet with jj against hyper aggro and villian then 4 bets you. You have bloated a pot and now flop comes random junk, you have pot flop and he min raises you. Now mathematically you are almost committing your stack because you have bloated a pot and checking the flop gives up control and you still don't know where you are at.

I think based on this knowledge and the posts its effectively not 3betting or flatting is the issue but tailoring your bet sizing to allow for a better read on a hand range.

I just find personally the stacks are going in based on math scenarios if the pot is bloated and you have no room to play post flop.

Good discussion so far.
  • few quick things

1. Saying villain isn't nutted with the bet on the flop and saying that he's not betting for value is super different. I agree that he probably doesn't have a set or a flush but he's rarely not betting for some kind of value (like AK with no heart etc)

2. someone said there are different styles. That's probably correct so unless you have a super clear reason to 3bet which I don't have here, our hand is strong enough to flat, then let that part slide and focus on the "as played I would..." part

3. Jacks are a great hand, not particularly hard to play at all imo. I always get really happy to get dealt jacks at any stage of a tournament
  • how a well respected member plays jacks...

Another "jamie gold" in WSOPE - YouTube
  • that's just a completely completely different situation
  • lol at live players suck!
  • Yes Timex had JJ, but as I said earlier, you don't just make bets based on your hand, theres a lot of other things to think about. Thats why Timex should squeeze with JJ and op should consider flatting.
  • reibs wrote: »
    lol at live players suck!

did you see the hand, timex was beyond taking candy from a baby
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    did you see the hand, timex was beyond taking candy from a baby

yeah I was laughing and agreeing with timex. #loljamiegoldaments
    darb, you always go out of your way to critique my analysis,
    you're welcome.
    i was just offereing my own insight, just like you offer yours
    yes, and i get corrected very often by better players, and I appreciate their time.
    That would be a compliment, since I spent months going over hand histories and ghosting with you, but I shoulda went over how to read graphs.

i dont want to be a jedi anything, i just want to play poker and play it well
    I didn't actually mean you would be a Jedi, I meant you will be a good poker player...this game will click for you, and you will draw on all your past railing and fan experience and it will help you do well.

we all have different styles
    According to many MMA wannabes yes...but not according to Bruce Lee

there is no denying your turbo game is off the chain and that you are excellent with math and theory
    Then you'll believe me when I say its not different than normal speed poker.

Anyways your post would make more sense if you didn't just finish pleading with me to spend time coaching your game 3 days or so ago. ^-^
  • Whatever lol