How could I have played this differently?

Here is the situation: 9 man live cash game 5/5. I've been playing solid all night and have built up my stack to $1300 from $500. My image so far has been tight aggresive tabling the best hands for most of the night. I'm under the gun+1 and i get dealt pocket AA's after the under the gun player just limped for $5. I raise to $25 and everyone folds except for the big blind a very loose aggressive player and the under the gun player a tight aggressive player who has re-bought once for $500. The loose player has about $800 and the TA has about $600 in front. Both players just called my raise so I'm thinking they have a wide range of hands anything from suited connectors to small pocket pairs possibly A10 to AK as well. The flop comes Q 10 9 rainbow. The TA UG player fires out $100 after the flop which kind of baffles me because of my image and the fact that I was the initial raiser. I think for a few seconds and decide to raise for both value and to get heads up, so I make it $260 to go. The BB folds. Now I'm heads up and my opponent goes into the tank for a few minutes and then decides to just call for the extra $160. When he just calls I figure that I have him beat and I'm hoping the turn brings a brick. The turn is a brick a little 3, but does bring a flush draw, but I'm still lovin this card. To my astonishment the villain announces all in right away for another $310! I am again puzzled but with me holding pocket AA's no flush, maybe a flopped straight, but more likely a Q with a high kicker like a K or an Ace. I decide to call. The villain shows AJ off, no flush draw which gives him an open ended straight draw on the Q 10 9 3 board. The river brings a dreades 8 and the villain scoops the monster pot while mumbling about how he had to go all in on the turn. I sat there kind of confused and wondering: Did I overplay my hand? How could I have played this hand any differently? Should i have just called the villains initial $100 bet on the flop? What could I have done to avoid losing half my stack? Any feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• Joe might know the answer to this....
  • not sure why you are complaining about getting your money in good? I will take this situation any time getting all my money in the middle a 80/20 favourite.

How do you avoid losing half your stack? Fold to the turn bet, lol. Honestly, you seemed to know the players in the hand well enough and read the situation well. I see players lose their entire stacks night after night with an over pair to the board. If you think one of these guys could hold Q10, Q9, 910 or a set, find a better spot. I like the raise on the flop to see where you stand. Once he calls the flop raise and comes out with the all-in on the turn, you are likely (against most players) behind. What hands has he gone all-in previously with? draws or made hands?

If you pushed on the flop, this kind of player would have likely called anyways.
  • Thanks Jah, I guess I just needed some assurance that I played the hand correctly. He was kind of a tight player but I had only played with him on one previous occasion. I guess he may have thought he could get me off the hand with the shove because of my tight image as well. Thanks again!
  • If you just call the $100 bet on the flop, he is likely betting $200+ on the turn (instead of pushing), which you likely call. Then he pushes on the river when he hits. You may get away from a one card straight at that point and save a little money in the process. Calling the turn shove is the real decision, which turned out to be in your favour. A lot of time you are behind at this point with just an overpair.
  • Yeah, what confused me was his call after I raised on the flop. If he had a made hand (a monster) he probably would have re-raised me all in on the flop and then i would have had a tougher time calling because of fold equity and two streets to go. If he had some type of draw and the turn came a brick which it did, I didn't think that he would shove with only the river card to come. I guess I could have just called the $100 donk bet and see what he did on the turn. I think that would have been better than leaving the villain without much choice on the turn after he misses. When he calls my raise I should have known that he would barrell both the turn and river. Next time I'm just gonna limp with my pocket rockets lol.
  • Can we use the maths for a bit please. I think this is a fair representation of whats going down here (ie hands that flat pre and lead flop - maybe remove QQ, your call):

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 43.809% 43.21% 00.60% 54328 753.50 { AcAd }
    Hand 1: 56.191% 55.59% 00.60% 69895 753.50 { QQ-99, AJs+, KJs+, Q9s+, J7s+, T9s, AJo+, KJo+, Q9o+, JTo, T9o }
  • Yeah, i should have put him on a bigger range than what i did, and know that he probably would barrel once he misses on the turn because he was already down a whole buy-in. Pre-flop i was 90%, after the flop 67%, and after the turn up to 80%. He shoves with only a 20% chance of getting lucky. I think he just made the wrong move at the right time as they say :-).
  • Plus, I'm more of a feel poker player than a numbers guy. I mean I know pot odds, percentages, etc. but I usually go with my gut when it's too close to call.
  • MadMax wrote: »
    Yeah, i should have put him on a bigger range than what i did, and know that he probably would barrel once he misses on the turn because he was already down a whole buy-in. Pre-flop i was 90%, after the flop 67%, and after the turn up to 80%. He shoves with only a 20% chance of getting lucky. I think he just made the wrong move at the right time as they say :-).

If my range is accurate you shouldnt look at the hand this way.
    Plus, I'm more of a feel poker player than a numbers guy. I mean I know pot odds, percentages, etc. but I usually go with my gut when it's too close to call.

"Feel" Player vs Math Player - Page 8 - Poker Theory - General Poker Theory Forum
    the under the gun player just limped for $5.

the under the gun player a tight aggressive player .

Both players just called my raise so I'm thinking they have a wide range of hands
    these are conflicting statements to me. This is part of the reason your aces got cracked I think.
  • I would have raised pre flop more especially with a limper utg.

1. You either win a small pot

2. You bloat the pot with a marginal call by utg
  • and paragraphs are your friend.

Tried to read it, but gave up on line 3.
  • I'm assuming you are way under rolled for 5/5 if you are asking this question with just over 100bb effective stacks
  • No not really under rolled for 5/5 but I do usually play 1/2. I guess ultimately the answer that I'm looking for is "would you have folded the turn shove on the said board holding only an over poard to the board"? I guess ultimately it depends on your level of gamble and if you are willing to play for basically half your stack given the situation. I was, so I'm not really complaining just wandering if there were others who would have done something differently.
  • As Jah said, why complain, regardless of what happened on the river you got the villian to put in his stack as the underdog on every street. Why would you or anyone else play it differently? It appears obvious to me and probably the rest that the money does matter to you and if it does you are underolled..

Now, if you were playing 5c/5c and your stack was $13.. would you have been wondering if you played it right...

Summary: Fold pre and leave the table...>:D
  • Haha, ya should have folded pre-flop. I think ultimately there is no way I could have really gotten away from this hand, and sometimes you just have to let the chips fall where they may. :)
  • Sometimes you have to look at the "big hand big pot" theory. In that think of the actual value of your hand and the way the actual hand has played out.

Would you have made the same call with JJ or kk etc. At the end of the day AA is one pair and in most situations people don't have you on AA but some random hand in this case.

Truly at the end the villian make what he thought was a decent play because truly the only hand that should be calling him is a 2 pair plus and he can still draw to the nut straight, one pair is rather tough to call on that board based on the image of the villian (when looking back did you ever see the villian get out of line or shove with anything less than the nut)

The fact that you made the call probably stunned villian because he didn't give you credit for AA and he just got lucky drawing to 8 outs.

in my history of cash games, most times a shove on a co-ordinated board can't get looked up with anything less than 2pair. But that's just been my experience.

Either way chalk it up to another night at the office and onto the next one!

Cheers
  • Thanks Blackmagic, appreciate your input! Always trying to learn and get better...and the only way to do that is re-play hands to yourself and others and see if there was any other way to play it that would have either minized your losses or maximixzed your profits. At the end of the day I'm realizing that it's still only a one pair hand. Cheers!
  • Not to be a dick to those offering advice, but OP never complained from what I can see. He asked for feedback and was appreciative of all of it.

For my 2 cents, just keep getting it in good but, as others have said, don't forget that one overpair is still only one pair.
  • I agree with what others said in that you were ultimately way ahead at the end and the other guy got lucky with his aggressive semi-bluff.

However, in a 5/5 game I'm not sure a raise of 5x with AA is enough. It really depends on the context of previous hands. In some games 8x or more might be required. A bigger pre-flop raise would ensure me folks are not going to wait around with J,8 or K, J.

With the flop coming "Q 10 9 " and his aggressive bet of $100, it indicates either 'flopped straight' or 'semi bluff' or 'set' or even 'two pair'. The larger pre-flop raise makes it more unlikely he would have flopped the straight or has two pair. I think it would lower his range to 10,10; 9,9; JJ or possibly A J. If he had QQ he might have re-raised pre-flop.

As the hand played out, if I had only one pair with that flopped board I would probably be inclined to call the $100 instead of raising.

But of course, if you ran the hand 4 times you would probably win three or more of them....