Thoughts on a "Players Championship" (ie. 8 Game) Home Game

Hey all,

Any thoughts on if it's at all plausible to run a 8 Mix home game? It's something that I'd like to consider adding to the Bristol Street calendar.

Obviously, something like this could only be played on a weekend, (as you'd need the extra), but I'm wondering if the need to play so many styles would even be doable.

Here are some thoughts on structures...

A) Each hand switch the game. Easily tracked with a stack of 8 cards set up on the table, put the top card on the bottom do determine which game is next. Downside is that you don't get long enough on any specific game before moving to the next.

B) Switch games every 5 minutes, (which means levels / blinds every 40 minutes). In a 10-12 tournament that gives you 15-18 different levels

c) Switch games every 10 minute (levels / blinds every 80 minutes) This only gives you 7-9 different levels which means the blinds much go much faster.

D) Combine B/C so that the games are switched every 10 minutes, but the levels go up ever 40, so that 4 styles are play, blinds go up, remaining 4 are played, blinds go up.

So far, D seems the best mix of longer game time with gradual blinds, but you'd have to be careful and split similar games between the two groups.

Something like..

Group 1:
Limit Hold'em
PLO
Stud/8B
Triple Draw 2-7

Group 2:
Razz
NLH
O/8B
Stud

Thoughts? I'll start giving a blind structure a thought as this begins to percolate.

Comments

• Mixed games usually change once an orbit - ie every 8 hands so an equal number of hands of each game is played.

http://www.wsop.com/2012/structuresheets/12137-structure.pdf

Limited appeal IMO. Better off going straight HORSE.
  • I'd have it change games once and orbit.

I'd run it as as Limit poker cash game.
  • moose wrote: »
    Mixed games usually change once an orbit - ie every 8 hands so an equal number of hands of each game is played.

Not to mention everyone goes through the blinds, creating an equal (dis)advantage for all players.

I'd like to give a live 8-game a true. It would be a refreshing change.
  • If your table was less than 8 handed, you would still switch every 8 hands. It's more to ensure that an approximately equal number of hands of each game are played. Some games take much longer to deal and play so if you are using timed blinds to switch the game, a disproportionate number of hands of the faster games get played.