Doubling short stacks...when to stop?

A few situations that seem to be killing me in NL tournies -
Advice wanted and appreciated.

12 left in tourney - top 5 pay.
6 Handed Table - Avg stack 3k, I have 5K (2nd stack)

One off the button, no action to me; Blinds 50-100.
Im dealt JJ, raise to 300.
Everyone folds to BB who goes all in for 1500.
- I get a read, he is not strong; maybe small pair or at worst AK. I do not believe for a second AA -QQ. I even tell him what I have and am assured that Im good.

So - do you call?
(BTW the read was right - A7 off)

9 at table - blinds 100-200 25 ante. Avg table stack 2500, me at 10K
10 get the $$, 30 left
Im in the BB, everyone folds to short stack on the button goes all in for 1500.
Small blind folds, I look down to 99. I really have no read on the player but am pretty sure he has legetimate hand as he has been tight.

Do you defend?

6 handed, blinds 25-50, avg stack 2k, I have 6K.
15 left, top 5 get paid.

MP - raises to 100 avg stack
one off button raises to 200, short stack.
Im in the small blind with TT, raise to 300, BB folds, MP calls, and short stack goes all in for 1K more.

I have no idea if he is strong, but pretty sure that I have MP beat.

Do you go for the kill?

7 Left in Tourney - top 5 pay.
Im in for 3000k with two others who have 6000K.
100-200, Im in small blind, called to see a flop with AQ off against two others.
Flop comes T-8-2 rainbow. Check, check, Last to act raised 2500, I'm sure that this is a semi bluff with maybe 8 or 2.

So- Do you go all in?
(BTW he did have small pair)

These are the plays that I find are killing me or making me; I am getting to big stack and am calling coin flips, or 2-1 or very rarely worse long shots, with the idea that if I break someone Im one step closer and if I lose I have a stack cushion.

Is this a HUGE hole in my game? Or are these shots that you have to take to win? perhaps I have been watching Moneymaker and Raymer too much?

Comments

• 12 left in tourney - top 5 pay.

- I get a read, he is not strong; maybe small pair or at worst AK. I do not believe for a second AA -QQ. I even tell him what I have and am assured that Im good.

So - do you call?
    (BTW the read was right - A7 off)

If you read your opponent as weak then why wouldn't you call? I think in your situation with your read it is an easy call. Note that in most tourneys it against the rules to expose your hand (verbally or visually). Be careful because your hand could be ruled dead.
    10 get the $$, 30 left
    Small blind folds, I look down to 99. I really have no read on the player but am pretty sure he has legetimate hand as he has been tight.

Do you defend?
    Again trust your reads. Your stack is too vulnerable to defend "ALL IN" with a coin flip or worse and against an overpair.
    I hate min raises. What do they accomplish? Where are you in this hand? How can you be sure? I would be tempted to fold to the raise and reraise. Looks like two players looking for action with big hands. I think at least one has an over pair and at best your probably against a coinflip against the other. Not to sure what buy-in or level you and your opponents are playing but min raise is used by weak players or players trying to trap with their Aces and Kings. If you want to play your 1010 then raise enough to define your hand.
    100-200, Im in small blind, called to see a flop with AQ off against two others.
    Flop comes T-8-2 rainbow. Check, check, Last to act raised 2500, I'm sure that this is a semi bluff with maybe 8 or 2.

So- Do you go all in?
    (BTW he did have small pair)

Not unless you think your opponent will fold the small pair. I fold and cut my losses here. You have nothing invested seems easy to get away from.
    These are the plays that I find are killing me or making me; I am getting to big stack and am calling coin flips, or 2-1 or very rarely worse long shots, with the idea that if I break someone Im one step closer and if I lose I have a stack cushion.

Is this a HUGE hole in my game? Or are these shots that you have to take to win? perhaps I have been watching Moneymaker and Raymer too much?

Seems like your pushing a little harder than you need to. Trust your reads but realize that it is not your duty with a big stack to bust the entire table.

You must also compare your stack to the blinds when comparing your stack to the others in the tourney. When your under 20 BB total it doesn't take many losses to bring you down to the average stack or bellow. When watching the WSOP and/or WPT many times the chip leaders have 100BB's and have a lot of room for play.
  • 1) with JJ, Call.

2) With 99, CALL. You've got 10K in chips and it's going to cost you 1200 to coin flip (at worst) with this guy. He went all-in from the button when it was folded to him? An all-in from that position sure doesn't scream good cards to me. Even the tightest of the tighties will try to steal from there.
    Again trust your reads. Your stack is too vulnerable to defend "ALL IN" with a coin flip or worse and against an overpair.

Seriously, do you ever play a hand in a tournament jimmi or do you just blind out of every single one? He's got 10k in chips, losing this flip for 1500 isn't a crippling situation.

3) I'd probably pass on it because I'm not looking to move all-in this early in a tournament and there is only one flop i'd be comfortable with (one that includes a ten). Plus any raise with the blinds at 25/50 isn't a steal.

4) It's all read based. You can't get a real answer to that question here. But if he did pair up, you are the underdog.
  • Seriously, do you ever play a hand in a tournament jimmi or do you just blind out of every single one? He's got 10k in chips, losing this flip for 1500 isn't a crippling situation.

LoL...my bad. Read him as having 2,500 (the avg.)...yes I need to read closer...especially when I quoted the thread in my review. Easy call.

With 2,500 though it is an easy fold IMO. LOL.

Do I ever play hands? Not sure what that has to do with this thread but I appologize for misleading any one with my misreading.

• 12 left in tourney - top 5 pay.

No pressure. I am big stack compared to average and compared to blinds.

Hmmmm… calling 1200 into 1850. Gotta be pretty sure on my read. And, if I lose I move back among the mere mortal stacks. If I knew NOTHING about the player I probably fold, but I gotta go with my read… I call.

10 get the $, 30 left

I am big stack. No pressure… relax, relax.

Small favourite or big dog. I fold. How much would I call? Against an all-in raiser I probably call up to $1K.

6 handed, blinds 25-50, avg stack 2k, I have 6K.
    15 left, top 5 get paid.

I am big stack. Relax. Take what the table gives you.

MP - raises to 100 avg stack
    one off button raises to 200, short stack.
    Im in the small blind with TT, raise to 300, BB folds, MP calls, and short stack goes all in for 1K more.

I have no idea if he is strong, but pretty sure that I have MP beat.

Fold. Small favorite or big dog.

100-200,

Still no REAL pressure from the blinds.

Im in small blind, called to see a flop with AQ off against two others.

No way. I missed the flop in an unraised pot. I am done with the hand. A loss is deadly in this position. I have enough chips to compete. There will be a better spot than a soft check-raise semi-bluff.

This is a huge hole in my game that I am trying to fix. When you get ahead of the curve, look for many small confrontations. In a lot of “local” tournaments there is no such thing as a small confrontation because any loss will take even a big stack back into the land of the mortals.

Be careful watching Raymer because he is, I think, VERY good at picking his spots.

There are A LOT of players right now trying to emulate the Raymer aggression who do not have a good grasp on many fundamental concepts -- position and "size of confrontation" being two. Until I played at the WSOP I didn't really understand what it is to be a "big stack." Most local tournaments never approach the depth of chips as the big events, consequently a lot of local players think they are a big stack when they are actually close to being in trouble.