Rewards based credit card?

13»

Comments

• Just got another credit card offer in the mail today...this will be my third new credit card this year (my credit rating is probably screwed). Its for a TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa card which comes with 15,000 bonus Aeroplan points when you sign up and a free 2 for 1 Short Haul flight, with no annual fee in the first year.

TD Canada Trust | TD Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
  • You know the loyalty rewards bonuses you get from staying with the same card far outweigh changing new cards every year and whoring the signup bonus.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    You know the loyalty rewards bonuses you get from staying with the same card far outweigh changing new cards every year and whoring the signup bonus.

Perhaps, though new sign up bonuses tend to be better than retention offers (because once the yet you you're not that likely to change). Can you give an example of a loyalty bonus so I can compare?

What you should actually do is find your main card that you plan to stick with and then whore bonuses around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    What you should actually do is find your main card that you plan to stick with and then whore bonuses around it.

This is what I typically do. My main card is my RBC Avion Visa. I will just take advantage of these bonuses and then cancel the card before the year is up. I don't see the harm in signing up for these cards and making minimal purchases but getting huge incentives in terms of free flights, etc.

I did end up keeping the WestJet MasterCard as it costs $99/annual fee per year, but it comes with a free 2:1 companion seat with every renewal (which I just used for March Break and saved $389 on a flight to Miami). Plus I had $260 in WestJet dollars from using the card this year.
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    I have also become a big fan of my American Express Gold Rewards Card. The annual fee is waived for the first year but I have actually decided to keep it because of the travel insurance and extended warranty benefits.

Use this link and get 25,000 reward points for signing up and charging $500 in the first three months (easy). Points can convert to Aeroplan or a bunch of other rewards too. Very flexible. Basically it's at least $250 free. Just cancel before renewal if you don't think the annual fee would be worth it for you (basically if you don't travel much).

This offer is still available online and is a great way to get a free flight to Los Angeles this summer if you want to play a little poker. Its not too hard to spend $500 on the card in three months. I just got my 25,000 points and had them converted to Aeroplan 1:1 so now I am pretty close to having 100,000 Aeroplan points.

The minimum income requirement for this card is also quite low at only $20,000.

Gold Rewards Card and Business Gold Rewards Card | American Express Canada
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    This offer is still available online and is a great way to get a free flight to Los Angeles this summer if you want to play a little poker. Its not too hard to spend $500 on the card in three months. I just got my 25,000 points and had them converted to Aeroplan 1:1 so now I am pretty close to having 100,000 Aeroplan points.

Trouble is, who takes Amex these days? Other issue is, can you cancel before the year is up, ie before the $150. per year fee?
  • Most places and everyone online. You know, that internet thingy?
  • Not sure if the signup bonus is still available, but I signed up for a Capital One "Aspire World Travel" card about a year and a half back and couldn't be happier.

The signup bonus was good for $350, and the card gets 2% on ALL purchases. The yearly fee is a wash, as they give you $100 in points on your anniversary each year. No stupid restrictions when it comes to spending points, just book what you want and ask them to credit it back.

After signing up, I diverted all bills, groceries, and day to day expenses to the card, same with the wife. In the first year we cashed out for around $1400, which was pretty awesome considering we did absolutley nothing!

RFD turned me on to it back then... here's a link - not sure if its still the best option but it was at the time:

Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard (2 Reward Miles per $1, Big Bonuses, Travel Insurance + More) - RedFlagDeals.com

AMEX? Jeez... Didn't know we had such high rollers on here...
  • moose wrote: »
    Most places
    lol.. Not sure about online though... or is it mostly travel related...?

Biggest question really is the $150. yearly fee though.. Wouldn't mind doing this if I was sure I could cancel before the year is up.
    Bfillmaff wrote: »
    AMEX? Jeez... Didn't know we had such high rollers on here...
    Yep that 20K income restriction might stop me.. :(
  • Get that capital one card via great Canadian rebates and get an extra $75. If that deal is still on. Get me to refer you to gcr and I think I get an extra $10 maybe...

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • Comp, the bank not accepting your beaver pelts anymore?
    Comp, the bank not accepting your beaver pelts anymore?

cheap shot imo..
  • The Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite Card is currently the best cash back card right now for those who charge about $470 a month on average on gas and groceries (4% cash back, no limit). $99 ann fee, first year free.

This link will also get you a $100 gift card, after approval.

FREE $100 Gift Card from RateSupermarket.ca
  • compuease wrote: »
    Trouble is, who takes Amex these days? Other issue is, can you cancel before the year is up, ie before the $150. per year fee?

Yes, pretty sure you can cancel anytime with any card. You might lose any points that are unused.
  • I'm planning to apply for this American Express card with 30,000 bonus points to get a free flight to Las Vegas or towards one of the WPT stops. If a friend has a referral link, email it to me so you may get the bonus 10,000 points.
    pokerJAH wrote: »

• compuease wrote: »
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    Yes, pretty sure you can cancel anytime with any card. You might lose any points that are unused.

You can definitely cancel before incurring the yearly fee. Actually, people on forums I read have reported that you can even call and cancel and get the fee back if you accidentally forget to cancel in time.

You might lose the points, as pokerJAH said, but not if you just transfer to Aeroplan (1:1) before cancelling.

As for who takes Amex - like moose said - most places. Importantly, all gas stations do: you get double points on gas. Double points on groceries too, though Loblaws branded stores don't take it (which sucks because I do most of my shopping at no frills) since they want you to use their PC Mastercard. The PC Mastercard is a very good rewards program for a free card though so it's not really a loss.
  • I got tilted with my bank (TD) and went online and applied for a basic chequing/savings account over at RBC

Upon filling out my information and getting approved for my bank account, I was then asked if I wanted a credit card. I shrugged, and figured why not.

I have been approved, and am waiting for a RBC "cash back" credit card. I will recieve 2% on groceries and 1% cash back for everything else. I thought this was a pretty decent free roll.

For many, many years, I have always paid debit/cash for all my groceries. i'm looking forward to smarter shopping, and getting rewards for simple transactions that I would be doing anyways.
    The Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite Card is currently the best cash back card right now for those who charge about $470 a month on average on gas and groceries (4% cash back, no limit). $99 ann fee, first year free.

This link will also get you a $100 gift card, after approval.

FREE $100 Gift Card from RateSupermarket.ca

My $100 gift card arrived yesterday.

The $99 annual fee is waived for new applications until Oct. 31.

Go through the link above for the additional $100 gift card.