I can't fold big hands .. help

Even when it is so obvious I'm beat I just can't let it go

*********** # 3 **************
PokerStars Hand #80175384008: Tournament #555874306, $1.00+$0.10 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level V (30/60) - 2012/05/09 13:26:23 ET
Table '555874306 280' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: aurel1974777 (9149 in chips)
Seat 2: rodskp (9627 in chips)
Seat 3: DaguyisBack (8775 in chips)
Seat 4: Pankas05 (4648 in chips)
Seat 5: kolbasof (3120 in chips)
Seat 6: booboo176 (4107 in chips)
kolbasof: posts small blind 30
booboo176: posts big blind 60
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaguyisBack [Js Qs]
aurel1974777: folds
rodskp: calls 60
DaguyisBack: raises 60 to 120
Pankas05: folds
kolbasof: folds
booboo176: calls 60
rodskp: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Ks Ah 2h]
booboo176: checks
rodskp: checks
DaguyisBack said, "What?"
DaguyisBack: checks
*** TURN *** [Ks Ah 2h]
booboo176: checks
rodskp: bets 180
DaguyisBack: raises 480 to 660
booboo176: folds
rodskp: calls 480
*** RIVER *** [Ks Ah 2h Td] [2d]
rodskp: checks
DaguyisBack: bets 1140
rodskp: raises 3900 to 5040
DaguyisBack said, "did you fill up?"
DaguyisBack said, "i guess so"
DaguyisBack: calls 3900
*** SHOW DOWN ***
rodskp: shows [2s As] (a full house, Deuces full of Aces)
DaguyisBack: shows [Js Qs] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
rodskp collected 11790 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 11790 | Rake 0
Board [Ks Ah 2h Td 2d]
Seat 1: aurel1974777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: rodskp showed [2s As] and won (11790) with a full house, Deuces full of Aces
Seat 3: DaguyisBack showed [Js Qs] and lost with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 4: Pankas05 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: kolbasof (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: booboo176 (big blind) folded on the Turn

Comments

• Looks like you and your opponent have the same problem. He couldn't fold top and bottom pair to your re-raise on a very straight board.

This is interesting because you knew (or had a very strong suspicion) that he boated the river. You can make reads, learn to trust them.
  • its tough to fold there... but he isnt check raising you with anything less than a boat, unless he has nothing. It makes it even harder to fold that the deuce pairs, if it were the K or 10 that paired it would have been easier to fold. The deuce isnt supposed to help him there and you cant really put him on AA or KK..MAYBE TT but unlikely... A2 is a very unlikely hand... he hit a 4 outer on you and theres not much you can do about that..
  • I sometimes have the same problem in that I get married to hands and can't release them. It is something to keep in mind. For me, more preflop or on the flop. If you don't hit anything, give it up.

This one however, there is no way in hell I would have folded given the situation. It would have just given me something to bitch about for the rest of the night.
  • This is something I've been working on a lot. Most importantly you have to have a plan, you don't want to decide in the heat of the moment. Good players will say, I decided to bet/fold here, or I decided to bet/call or bet/reaise. They already know, this isn't just so you don't chicken out, its so mathematically you understand the decision is generally made before you bet not after he raises.

This is a tougher spot but 2 things that can helps spots like these. First when you bet river keep in mind you are repping trip 2's, your opponent will not likely raise you unless he has trip two's or better. He'll likely only even call with just a 2 because its kind of a scary board for him. If he has better than trips then its a straight or a boat so that would lean towards you are beat. But if he somehow bet small you can still call, here he bets pretty big.

Secondly in a spot like this on the river you can ask if I bet and he raises what do I do? Because you will see it would be tough to call a big raise you can raise big yourself like you have the nuts and then you know you can fold if he raises you. Don't always do it, but sometimes vs good or spewy players Ill make a bet so big that if they raise they have to shove. So in a spot like this if he doesn't know I don't have a 2 then he won't shove his stack in with air.