What would you have done?

Hey guys, I learned a lot last time I posted a hand so I thought I'd ask your opinion on this interesting hand I played. I think I made the right move but I'd like to know what you would have done.

This game was a 25NL Zoom game so I had no reads on anyone in the hand.

Here goes..

I am dealt the black aces on the cutoff.

UTG up to highjack fold.

I raise to 0.75$

Button calls

SB calls, BB calls.

FLOP: 8h 2c 3h

SB bets 1$

BB folds

I raise to 2.75$

Button cold calls

SB calls.

TURN: 9c

SB bets 0.25$

I raise to 4.75$ (I have about 15$ behind)

Button raises to 12.50 (has about 15$-18$ behind)

SB folds

My turn.

What should I have done? I actually folded because it looked like he had a set to me but could this guy have Ac-8c here? Or 2 overcards and a heart flush draw? Flush draw + pair?

I folded because If I call here I feel like I have to call on the river and I didnt feel comfortable with my black aces on a board like that.

Was folding the right move?

Comments

• Your raise on the turn is too low. You are raising to $4.75 into a $13.00 pot, giving all draws the odds to call. It actually looks like you have a strong draw, instead of a made hand.
    The Button could make this play with a wide range of hands. Any over pairs, two pair, flush and straight draws. There are too many of those possibilities that you are ahead of.
  • Bet more pre. 3x raise will just lead to trouble.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Bet more pre. 3x raise will just lead to trouble.

Isn't that telegraphing your hand. He should raise the same with 7,8 suited as he does with AA... Isn't that the general principal?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Isn't that telegraphing your hand. He should raise the same with 7,8 suited as he does with AA... Isn't that the general principal?

yes all open sizing should be consistent.
  • I would've flopped quads. As played I fold. I think I like check calling turn better than bet folding, but that's just cause I see bluffing ghosts everywhere
  • compuease wrote: »

no, its letting in all the drawing hands (set mining, etc.) to crush your dominating hand. If they fold to a bigger raise, so be it. If they have 22-QQ, AK, AQ, they are likely going to call a bigger raise.

Btw, don't fall in love with one pair in cash games. With that kind of action, given no previous reads on this player, you are likely behind.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Your raise on the turn is too low. You are raising to $4.75 into a $13.00 pot, giving all draws the odds to call. It actually looks like you have a strong draw, instead of a made hand.
    The Button could make this play with a wide range of hands. Any over pairs, two pair, flush and straight draws. There are too many of those possibilities that you are ahead of.

I was actually trying to get value from my hand at this point. I figured by giving less than 3 to 1 on a draw that is likely 4 to 1, it would make draws fold but would keep anyone with an overpair. At least that was the plan in my head..

So a bet around 8$ would've been better? (what if he calls the 8? Is it an automatic shove on the river? check call? check fold if I don't improve?)

pokerJAH wrote: »
    Bet more pre. 3x raise will just lead to trouble.
    compuease wrote: »
    costanza wrote: »
    yes all open sizing should be consistent.

That's what I initially thought, I try to always use the same opening raise. Although with zoom, players won't know if I vary my opening bet sizes or not so you might be right. I'll have to try it out.
    Richard~ wrote: »
    I would've flopped quads. As played I fold. I think I like check calling turn better than bet folding, but that's just cause I see bluffing ghosts everywhere

I knew the SB would fold but I actually thought the button would just call my turn bet and I was setting myself up for a nice river shove if it came a blank. So many people float these days but the reraise really caught me off guard.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    no, its letting in all the drawing hands (set mining, etc.) to crush your dominating hand. If they fold to a bigger raise, so be it. If they have 22-QQ, AK, AQ, they are likely going to call a bigger raise.

Btw, don't fall in love with one pair in cash games. With that kind of action, given no previous reads on this player, you are likely behind.

Yea thats great advice that I need to follow more closely.. I'm still at that point in my poker training where it hurts pretty bad to fold aces on a board like that but I had a feeling I was beat, especially after the coldcall on the flop from the button.

It was definitely an interesting spot to be in though, and it made me think about the hand way more than it would've if I had won the hand on the flop/turn.
  • the overcall on the flop should have you worried, that's why I probably just check reevaluate turn
  • I used to grind RUSH POKER TOURNAMENTS for months on Full Tilt (sometimes cashgame). That min-bet on the turn is annoying, you played it well, fold as you did.

Button probably had a set or 9-8 (two pairs)
  • I guess as played you should probably fold. Preflop is good & standard. You open a moderate amount that will be easy for your aggressive opponents to reraise. I think your flop raise is too small and would prefer something more in line with potsize and I'd like a bigger raise on the turn (which you would be committed after having made). By now it's pretty obvious that this third guy knows what you have and if he's still willing to raise you he probably has you beat. I personally would stick it in anyway but the right play in this situation is probably fold.