9 handed
140players left
63 places paid

I am small blind and I have around 8000
avg stack is 12000
the big blind has 1300 in chips
folded to me
I look down at 10 6 suited
what should I do? I know the BB will not foldsince he is committed with 600 of his 1300 in as the BB. If I raise I am putting in 1000 more to win his 1300 the 450 in antes and my 300 small blind so 1000 to win 2050. I dont like doubling up a short stack with such a weak hand but it looks like I am getting the right price against a random hand.What do you think? What if I have 7 2?

# 2
No limit holdem tournament
50 entrants
14 left
5 cash prizes
blinds are 1500 3000
avg stack is 20 000
I have 6000
UTG pushes all in for 6000. 2nd UTG calls 6000 leaving him with another 8000
My turn to act....I dont even look at my hand and call all in for 6000. I am thinking here is a chance to at least triple up (more if anyone else calls). If I win this hand I will win
6000 from UTG 6000 from 2nd UTG and 4500 from the blinds giving me a stack of 22 500.
Was this a good play? Should I have waited for a hand where I could be the raiser.
The fact that I had 9 4 off made 2 pair and won the pot doesnt make the play a good one.
I was scolded by 3 players for making this call but I dont think it was that bad. Am I wrong?

no limit holdem tournament
50 entrants
40 left
5 cash prizes
blinds are 200 400
I have 7500
avg is 12000

UTG limps, mid pos limper and puck limps
I am the small blind and I look down at QQ
I raise to 1500
BB folds, all players call
pot is 6400
flop comes Ac Q Jc
I push all in for 6000
UTG folds, mid pos calls all in, button folds.
Mid pos has K 10 for an Ace high straight.
the board does not pair and I am gone

I dont feel like I made a mistake on this hand. When I get a pair like QQ I would like some action on it, but several good players that I talked to after felt that I should have made a larger preflop raise. 2players felt I should have pushed all in and 1 player said I should have made it 3000 preflop. I think if I make a big raise preflop I get no action from hands that I want action from like K 10,weak aces or smaller Pocket pairs. I would only get called by AA KK or AK.
what do you think?

Comments

• Hand #1: I would push...or least put them all in regardless of my whole cards. Sometimes you just gamble. My stack size makes no difference at this point either ... I am pushing with any two in this situation.

Hand #2: I like the way you played and would have done the same.

Hand #3: I would have either pushed to win it preflop or raised to $2,000 ($1,500 isn't terrible) with the intention of pushing on a non-scary flop. With your stack you are below the avg but have room for play....therfore I like raising to $1,500 - $2,000 best since you can fold with your still playable stack on scary flop. As you said if you push your mostly to be called by coin flip at best. Unfortunately, I don't see getting away from this flop with your hand.
  • Hand #1 ... push it you basicly have no choice

Hand #2 ... the second caller ... just calling off half his stack screams of strength but who knows ... he may just be a weak player. I don't really care what UTG has since he's about to be consumed by the blinds in the next two hands, so he can have anything. My decision would be based on this, what kind of player was UTG+1 ... is he flat calling cause he has a monster AA, KK and wants action or not. if you think he's just play high cards i think pushing with any two is a great move.

Hand #3 ... no way to not go broke on that hand
  • 1) always a type of decision I have trouble with, so I'm interested in hearing the answers as it is a weak spot in my game sometimes. I push here.

I use twodimes.net to look up hand equities, but does anyone know of an application that allows you to compare your hand hot/cold to a random hand (or hands)? I've always wanted to find something like that.

2) I have to look at my cards here. Once I do I don't think I call with 94o. I'm looking for at least an above average hand in the next hand or two before having to push any two. Given the avg stack sizes, the fact that everyone knows you are desperate, and that you can't raise anyone off a decent hand, I'm guessing that no matter what hand you play, someone will probably call you and you will at least double up and get the blinds if you win, maybe even get a 3rd caller and end up with the same size pot anyways. For that reason, I think you might as well wait for the next hand. You probably end up with a similar sized pot in the end and a better hand. Also, I agree with what Chugs said about the caller in front of you causing some concern.

3) I like a little bigger bet here, maybe 2500. Something like a 3x or 4x raise +1x for each subsequent limper after the first is what I like for this situation. I'm looking to make a bet that leaves you with something in case of a disastrous flop (i.e. 2 or 3 callers and the flop has an A and K, or all cards of the same suit that you don't have), but at the same time make it look like an overbet to steal to pot preflop so you might still get some action from weaker hands than yours.

I'd definitely want to know what each of their chip counts were, since it would usually factor into whether they are likely to call you or fold here. It's tough to put a limper on AA, KK, or AK but if it happens it's hard to get away from that anyways (not so bad if it's just ak). You want action, but the kind of action I would be hoping for is from a pocket pair JJ or lower, and preferrably from only one person. You are acting first postflop and don't know where you are if a K or A overcard hits on the flop, so I want to limit the field to one player and otherwise it's still ok to take the pot down before the flop.

Once that flop hits, I don't know what to say... I'm pretty sure I'd go broke there too.
  • No limit holdem tournament
    Blinds are 300-600 with 50 ante
    9 handed
    140players left
    63 places paid
    Long way to money. I need to get some chips.
    I am small blind and I have around 8000
    avg stack is 12000
    the big blind has 1300 in chips
    folded to me
    I am NOT going to steal the blind. The steal window is closed. I will, however, attack with any hand that I figure is a favourite against a random hand.
    I look down at 10 6 suited
    I fold. Nice hand sir.
    # 2
    No limit holdem tournament
    50 entrants
    14 left
    5 cash prizes
    blinds are 1500 3000
    avg stack is 20 000
    I have 6000
    I am desperately short stacked and I am too far away from the money to make it. I need to play, and win a hand.
    UTG pushes all in for 6000. 2nd UTG calls 6000 leaving him with another 8000
    My turn to act....I dont even look at my hand and call all in for 6000. I am thinking here is a chance to at least triple up (more if anyone else calls). If I win this hand I will win
    6000 from UTG 6000 from 2nd UTG and 4500 from the blinds giving me a stack of 22 500.
    Ummm.... I would have looked at my hand. If you have a random hand then you are NOT one in three to win this pot since you are against a raiser and a flat caller. The triple up dream looms large, but I am gong to wait (and hope) that I can find a hand that will at least make me an odds on favourite.
    no limit holdem tournament
    50 entrants
    40 left
    5 cash prizes
    blinds are 200 400
    I have 7500
    avg is 12000
    Long way from money. No pressure from the blinds. I have a little play in my stack, but I do not want to be mixing it up.
    UTG limps, mid pos limper and puck limps
    I am the small blind and I look down at QQ
    I raise to 1500
    I like it. That's what I probably would have done.
    BB folds, all players call
    Holy crap!
    pot is 6400
    flop comes Ac Q Jc
    I push all in for 6000
    UTG folds, mid pos calls all in, button folds.
    Mid pos has K 10 for an Ace high straight.
    the board does not pair and I am gone
    I do the same thing. I will take the pot RIGHT NOW please. Move in. Bad luck.
    I dont feel like I made a mistake on this hand. When I get a pair like QQ I would like some action on it, but several good players that I talked to after felt that I should have made a larger preflop raise.
    Um... Someone called 1500 with KT? I would not expect three callers when I make in 1500. These guys are TOO loose. With that flop I can't put anyone on KT. And, even if I do I probably have to call anyway.

Although reducing variance is good... you do want to get some action. You got a little more than you wanted, but I can't escape the hand.
    2players felt I should have pushed all in and 1 player said I should have made it 3000 preflop.
    This is probably analyzing the result instead of the theory. I like your play in this hand.
    I use twodimes.net to look up hand equities, but does anyone know of an application that allows you to compare your hand hot/cold to a random hand (or hands)? I've always wanted to find something like that.
    pokerstove.com
  • Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately I'm getting a message the pokerstove site seems to be down. Hopefully it's back up soon.

Really appreciated this post and the responses.