Nice win and some tournament hands

Played the "Malamoney Open" on Pokerstars last night, it's basically a nightly 10+1 NL tournament and the guy keeps player stats on his website. Handy if you want to play a tournament around midnight because you're tired of studying. I took first of 117 for about $350. I got off to a good start winning some pots and then slowed down for a bit until the following key hand came up: (Comments on all the hands would be appreciated!)

Seat 1: bigripper (1093 in chips)
Seat 2: Tadao (1942 in chips)
Seat 3: SirWatts (2306 in chips)
Seat 5: hawkaloogee (713 in chips)
Seat 6: ljcomstock (523 in chips)
Seat 7: swimmer9 (881 in chips)
Seat 8: msojoe (1138 in chips)
Seat 9: stylindncer (4694 in chips)
stylindncer: posts small blind 75
bigripper: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [8d 8h]
UTG folds
SirWatts: calls 150
4 folds
stylindncer: raises 300 to 450
bigripper: folds
SirWatts: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [9c Th 5d]
stylindncer: bets 300
SirWatts: raises 600 to 900
stylindncer: calls 600
*** TURN *** [9c Th 5d] [Jd]
stylindncer: bets 1050
SirWatts: calls 956 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [9c Th 5d Jd] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
stylindncer: shows [As Kd] (high card Ace)
SirWatts: shows [8d 8h] (a pair of Eights)
SirWatts collected 4762 from pot

Another hand: Would anyone else fold in this next one? I would normally call probably but here I felt strongly I didn't want to be involved. The big stack limper has been playing lots of hands so I don't give him credit for much but the raiser seemed fairly solid as far as I could tell.

Seat 1: SirWatts (4362 in chips)
Seat 2: zebrahead (4350 in chips)
Seat 3: stylindncer (3223 in chips)
Seat 4: NBS_Pres (16565 in chips)
Seat 5: WizTrust (2283 in chips)
Seat 6: lester77 (3754 in chips)
Seat 7: mulehead126 (3650 in chips)
Seat 8: Pocket300 (600 in chips)
Seat 9: chiefs crown (6570 in chips)
SirWatts: posts small blind 100
zebrahead: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [Qc As]
stylindncer: folds
NBS_Pres: calls 200
WizTrust: folds
lester77: raises 600 to 800
3 folds
SirWatts: folds

After this hand the deck starts running me over. I double with AA all-in preflop vs AK and then take a risk 2 hands after that:

Seat 1: SirWatts (7845 in chips)
Seat 2: zebrahead (3450 in chips)
Seat 3: stylindncer (823 in chips)
Seat 4: NBS_Pres (14465 in chips)
Seat 6: lester77 (5554 in chips)
Seat 7: mulehead126 (2950 in chips)
Seat 8: Pocket300 (3400 in chips)
Seat 9: chiefs crown (6870 in chips)
mulehead126: posts small blind 100
Pocket300: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [Ks Kd]
chiefs crown: folds
SirWatts: calls 200
zebrahead: calls 200
3 folds
mulehead126: raises 800 to 1000
Pocket300: folds
SirWatts: calls 800
zebrahead: calls 800
*** FLOP *** [8s Qh 5s]
mulehead126: bets 1000
SirWatts: raises 2000 to 3000
zebrahead: calls 2450 and is all-in
mulehead126: folds
*** TURN *** [8s Qh 5s] [4c]
*** RIVER *** [8s Qh 5s 4c] [2c]
SirWatts: shows [Ks Kd] (a pair of Kings)
zebrahead: shows [Js As] (high card Ace)
SirWatts collected 9100 from pot
chiefs crown said, "vnh"

I roll on from here, slowplaying a flopped set of 8's to bust a guy with top pair and am chip leader with about 20K with 25 or so people left. Then I do my best to blow-up and bluff off 8K into what was probably a flopped set with nothing but overcards. I get my act together and aggressively steal blinds to hold me over until the final table, where I start 8th of 9. Somehow I survive down to 4 players and my manic blind stealing is still going virtually unchecked. I have 20K, all others have around 50K. I wish I could say I brilliantly outplayed everyone from here but I never had a legitimate hand. My blind stealing was quickly closing the gap, and I have never seen such a passive chip leader in my life, as I literally stole his blind every single lap. But eventually someone has to call you, and in a drastic role reversal I was the one putting the brutal beats on people for once (though I was never particularly unhappy about how I played any of the hands). 2 or 3 suckouts later and I'm even money heads up. The heads up battle was insane, and went for about an hour. I quickly got well behind but adjusted my play to his image of me. It was back and forth, no one could win the critical race, but finally I got way ahead and went back to pounding on him before the flop with the blinds now oppressive until he finally called me. One last suckout and it was over. Not the prettiest win but they all pay, and despite the fact I needed multiple suckouts to win I actually thought I played very well, excluding the one hand I bluffed off 8K.

Mike

Comments

• Woohoo posting the only reply to my own message! Had another good night tonight, playing the same Malamoney tournament and a $3 rebuy satellite at the same time.

Dear SirWatts,
    You finished the tournament in 2nd place.
    A $264.00 award has been credited to your Real Money account.
    Congratulations!

Dear SirWatts,
    You finished the tournament in 1st place.
    You qualified to play in Tournament #5468492 and are automatically registered for it.
    See Tournament #5468492 Lobby for further details.
    (The Sunday $215)

By the way the hands from my first post are still fair game for discussion if anyone is interested! I think there were a couple intersting ones there.

Mike
  • nice nice its always good to cash in any game. I need to fund my stars account an check that tourny out
  • I guess your win over me at the Jour de Poker must have sparked something in your game. I remember you saying that was your first tourny win, I'm not surprised you're having such great results. As far as your hands are concerned, I like the way you played your 8's. I don't necessarily like the way your opponent played his biggy. Not really a tough call on the turn, you were very pot comitted. Great fold on your AQ, why bother investing a potential all in situation with a suspect hand especially when you have zero chips in the pot. Keep up the nice run and gl in the 215.

stp
  • Thanks Shannon. I don't think I'm going to play the 215 this time, but I'll use the tournament dollars to play a bit higher than I usually do for sure. I've had some good results in rebuy tournaments on stars and the $10 one at 10:15 is too weak to keep missing out on. All those extra chips in the rebuy period give you lots of time to wait for hands and bust the crazies. Would like to make it down to the pit some time but I can't play this month and next month is exams so it might be tough.