Staking markups..?

With all of the popularity of staking now I'm wondering about markup. I can understand it for the very successful players but how much markup is fair.
5%-10%-25%? What is the max that would be fair? With the variance in MTT's it really is difficult to compute. Some say I'm doing the bap to reduce my average buyin and that's fine, but if they are also charging a stiff markup isn't that just double counting? By the time we add the markup, say 25% plus the 10% juice the site charges, that's more than a third rake. Can we ever really make anything long term at that rate?

Comments

• compuease wrote: »
    With all of the popularity of staking now I'm wondering about markup. I can understand it for the very successful players but how much markup is fair.
    5%-10%-25%? What is the max that would be fair? With the variance in MTT's it really is difficult to compute. Some say I'm doing the bap to reduce my average buyin and that's fine, but if they are also charging a stiff markup isn't that just double counting? By the time we add the markup, say 25% plus the 10% juice the site charges, that's more than a third rake. Can we ever really make anything long term at that rate?
    its so awesome that a mod posted this on april 1st.....thread of the year
  • My understanding is that the % markup is based on the Player's ROI. So a player like Vekked can ask a premium and likely find backers, whereas your truly would be greeted by crickets chirping if I were to offer a 25% DISCOUNT.
  • Milo wrote: »
    My understanding is that the % markup is based on the Player's ROI. So a player like Vekked can ask a premium and likely find backers, whereas your truly would be greeted by crickets chirping if I were to offer a 25% DISCOUNT.

I might have to offer more of a discount, but this really is a serious question... Interested in what someone like Hobbes has to say... How big of an ROI would one have to have to get a 25% markup? Other than for funzies it really seems like that is extreme... Kinda like paying a big premium for investment advice....
  • With so much bapping/staking going on here lately, I kind of feel like I'm at a horse track with no idea how to read the program and make bets.

I haven't looked, but could someone point one in the direction of a resource to explain all the terminology/strategy/standard practices?
    How big of an ROI would one have to have to get a 25% markup?

Theoretically, I'd say 35% ROI (makes you about 10% return on average). In practicality, it's market driven.

The other side, is I have over paid for markup on a horse based on a few factors. One of them being a lot of deep runs. While the ROI may not be there yet, I am betting in the log term it will.

Since Black Friday, a lot of horses are getting more than they deserve (based on the math), but with fewer good horses left the price has gone up.

Hell, I can sell my 45 man turbo action @ 20% markup (26% ROI) quite easily.
  • Free market, ROI doesn't matter. If ppl are willing to buy bad investments, ppl would charge 100% markup if they could
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Theoretically, I'd say 35% ROI (makes you about 10% return on average).
    this isn't a full stat though...it needs a proper sample and filters like game type, dates, entrants average buyin etc.
  • darbday wrote: »
    this isn't a full stat though...it needs a proper sample and filters like game type, dates, entrants average buyin etc.

Yes. I assumed that they would all know about sample size, etc.
    Yes. I assumed that they would all know about sample size, etc.
    even a lot of the reg player don't know i think....i only have a basic knowledge...
  • I personally try to be fair when I post MU numbers and feel for any package 25% is about the max for an online package live is so soft if you have results more can be charged. But for the micro millions i charged 25% but have around 100% roi in those buyins but would never dream of charging that much. On the other hand I have only played a dozen 200+ buyins and only have one cash but I feel I can beat the limits so i charge 10 or 15% so it goes both ways since volume is such an important factor in ROI
  • Don't forget the 30% withholding indirect markup that a lot of players pocket.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Don't forget the 30% withholding indirect markup that a lot of players pocket.

huh?
  • He's talking about live BAPs and some do not take into account (when calculating ROI) the 30% w/h
    huh?

he means the 30% withheld for live tournaments in the US
    Don't forget the 30% withholding indirect markup that a lot of players pocket.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    He's talking about live BAPs and some do not take into account (when calculating ROI) the 30% w/h

Not so sure, Jim was mentioning players pocketing it..

Doubt if I'm investing in a player that has enough to offset the w/h. :D

As I said for live investing (not much other than here), I assume the 30% w/h.

If I was doing enough live staking, I'd be providing the horse with my ITIN and other information for the paperwork moving the tax liability to me.
    Doubt if I'm investing in a player that has enough to offset the w/h. :D

As I said for live investing (not much other than here), I assume the 30% w/h.

Well I was thinking more for online however live in the US is even worse. Say 25% markup, 10-15% rake and the 30% withholding...... How can any investor expect to make money long term..??
  • half your roi in any givin tourney should be your markup. All tourneys shouldnt be the same. Like if you were to play the ME 10k your markup should be fairly high. Id guess that I should be selling at around 1.5-1.6 for the ME. As longterm Id expect my roi to easily be over 100% in the ME. Where as like a 5k at PCA my markup should prob be like 1.5-1.2 as its a small tough field.
  • Pretty much your markup is whatever you can put up and still get investors. If someone with a 20% roi is trying to sell at 1.3....it probably just shouldn't sell.

Most regular posters here use sensible markup as compared to their ROI.

Like BTP states, one off's need to be rated individually. Most people (not here, but on other sites) sell off to avoid paying 100% themselves (ie. I only have $300, and want to play a $1000 tourney). Each tourney should be rated individually, not necessarily to the buy-in, but the difficulty level of the tourney.

When in doubt, if Hobbes isn't investing, don't buy.
    Well I was thinking more for online however live in the US is even worse. Say 25% markup, 10-15% rake and the 30% withholding...... How can any investor expect to make money long term..??

You can't.
    Wetts1012 wrote: »
    You can't.

Waitwut? You mean, folks lose money at this? Really?!?
  • t8urmoney wrote: »

when in doubt, if hobbes isn't investing, don't buy.

+1 bap ceo

A lot of players get back the w/h they deduct from their payouts. IMO this is unfair. BTPhil is one of the exceptions that takes this into account with his BAPs.
    A lot of players get back the w/h they deduct from their payouts. IMO this is unfair. BTPhil is one of the exceptions that takes this into account with his BAPs.

Name me one on here.... Not enough real gamblers on here who can show enough in losses.. imo..
    A lot of players .

Yea, this is a bold statement. Alot of players is much different than hearing about an isolated case.

fwiw Ive never met anyone that has bapped and got a penny back from RMS.
    Name me one on here.... Not enough real gamblers on here who can show enough in losses.. imo..

This is a thread about Bap markups, not a bitching session. IMO w/h is an imbedded markup.
    This is a thread about Bap markups, not a bitching session. IMO w/h is an imbedded markup.

No, its a tax. Markup is an option. Witholding is not.

A winning player has little/no chance of getting it back.

Investors should understand going in that your insta-up for 30% roi hit. Which is imo why its almost an unbeatable investment.

Play in Canada, invest in canada. /cherryrant.
  • Personally, If I throw down 1% on GTA to win the WSOPME this year, and he BONKS it, he can keep WHATEVER w/h he gets back as far as I am concerned. Consider it a tip from a grateful investor.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Personally, If I throw down 1% on GTA to win the WSOPME this year, and he BONKS it, he can keep WHATEVER w/h he gets back as far as I am concerned. Consider it a tip from a grateful investor.

Suddenly, paying 1% to a BAP for a WSOPME satellite seems like a tempting proposition.
  • Since I rarely play tournies -- what are the laws regarding withholding for Americans...is none?