A new Computer

Looking at buying a Dell. What are your thoughts? They have some good deals on right now. Any where else you think I should price?

Comments

• sweetjimmi wrote:
    Looking at buying a Dell. What are your thoughts? They have some good deals on right now. Any where else you think I should price?

After many years of building my own, I broke down and bought a Dell. IMO, they can't be beat and their service, if you can ignore 15 minutes of giving your customer number to someone in another far off country, does make things right.

With my desktop, I've never had a problem in two years. And with my laptop, after my daughter put her hairclip in the card port and fried it, they fixed it without any questions -- had it back in three days.

So, I like Dell!

Cheers
    Magi
  • Dell is pretty good. I am going through the exercise of getting another machine and have decided to go back to building my own. I have bought 3 machines through Dell and overall have no complaints about them. I did get my mom to buy a system through them and I was a bit frustrated when I had to call for support (fan on the power supply was making way too much noise for a brand new machine ... had them replace the unit). The frustration arose from the language issue. I had to repeat information several times.

For my next machine I am going back to what I did for many years and sourcing the parts from different locations to build my own (i.e.: Best Buy just had a sale of Western Digital HDD ... 160 GB for $80.00 (after rebate) ... Tigerdirect.ca just had a sale of 512MB DDR PC3200 ram for $49.99 (after rebate)). For the machine I will likely be getting a no-OS box from Tigerdirect.ca also. It will also be an AMD system. The prices are looking great (i.e.: $400 - $500 for a box, board, AMD cpu 2800 - 3200, power supply, 512MB DDR PC3200 ram, keyboard, mouse, speakers).

I decided against Dell because I am finding that they are padding the systems (these days) with too much bloat, extra stuff that I do not want and I don't want to pay for (apps, services, etc.). In the past when I got a machine from Dell I would reformat the drive/re-enstall the OS and basically throw everything else away.

Cheers