When you get sucked out

Do you get any consolation knowing you played good?

Hear lots of people say it doesn't really bother them too much if the poker gods shine down on someone and give them a little bit of luck.

I feel i've learned to take bad beats better but for me it doesn't give me much comfort.. lately anyway.. seems I am getting my chips in as the favorite but usually not taking all that many pots down.

Last night I was playing in a small cash game (40 buy in) and got my 35 all in on the flop with pocket queens on a 9 7 10 rainbow against King 9 and he hit his king on the river... and I took it kind of bad... I didn't Hellmuth it but I did drop an F bomb or two and gave a little table pound... though I've recently had a couple personal emotional issues losing my pet a day before so that did kind of contribute...was my first time out of the house in days...but thats getting off topic now.

Comments

• Understand it, have seen it many times, and certainly "feel" it myself. However with maturity comes control... Never, ever let it come out, breath deep, maybe a sigh.... reload, and on to the next hand...:)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Understand it, have seen it many times, and certainly "feel" it myself. However with maturity comes control... Never, ever let it come out, breath deep, maybe a sigh.... reload, and on to the next hand...:)

and be sure to thank them for making the game profitable. :D
  • if it gets to me it's probably cause I'm putting too much irrational hope into the single tournament at the time, I fix that by playing more tables
  • Its never happened to me before. (knock on wood)
  • Macke wrote: »
    seems I am getting my chips in as the favorite but usually not taking all that many pots down.
    To me its right there....we know if we are constantly getting our money in good we will succeed, if we aren't succeeding we simply aren't doing it....

or better put we should always look for more ways to get our money in good, regarless of winning or losing

Also sometimes getting it in good is not enough, sometimes we need to get our cards in behind

Sometimes we are not picking up enough non showdown chips

But I do feel strongly that being a big winner over a long time is the surest way to have a very high tilt threshold, fuuuu btp!!!!!! :bs:
  • i try to think of the times in the past where i didn't get tilted, loaded another bullet, and felted the donk. keeps me thinking positive.
  • Im a hot head so i have to work really hard at not losing my temper. Home game 40$ buy in, or forum tourney from this board and its water off the back...i dont get worked up. (truth is im usually the one sucking out on somebody else because i really like to get my money in with the worst of it)
    I dont often play online because its so mute that i internalize frustration and could easily smash up a room. Playing live provides more social distraction and i can egg somebody else on.
  • Never happens to me, i always have my money in bad
  • Though to be fair we all remember our bad beats more then anything else... it's been awhile since I heard a good "my pocket 8s held up against queen Jack... winning"
  • Macke wrote: »
    Though to be fair we all remember our bad beats more then anything else... it's been awhile since I heard a good "my pocket 8s held up against queen Jack... winning"

lol what a random example to pick almost a 50/50 flip. No one should whine or brag about winning 88 vs qj haha.
  • exactly.

...i'm going to brag next time i win a flip.

#Winning
  • gaining self control in poker after a bad beat can be as tough as ...... (well insert witty simile here)
  • I get as frustrated as anyone after a bad beat (see BBV section for proof). I find that they really affect me when I am playing above my bankroll or when it is really late in a tourney (two tables left).

If it is in the early or middle stages, it easier to ignore it. If its one of four tournies I am playing, at the same time, its easier to let it slide as well.
  • bad beats don't tilt me as much as hands the fkn fish call and win with or even worse when some donk shoves his stack right into your monster ie. QQ vs 9-3 and flops 2 pair or better and felts you.
    I can't even use Hobbes "thanks for making the game profitable" remark because, well, the fish has all my chips. No profit in that lol
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    bad beats don't tilt me as much as hands the fkn fish call and win with or even worse when some donk shoves his stack right into your monster ie. QQ vs 9-3 and flops 2 pair or better and felts you.
    I can't even use Hobbes "thanks for making the game profitable" remark because, well, the fish has all my chips. No profit in that lol

I think bad beats tilt you lol.

But yeah the worst is when you have a monster playing for all of your chips and someone calls you at Final Table with 5 6 suited "because it's my favorite hand" and then wins.