What would you guys do on this hand?

So Im playing in a 100+9 at Ultimatebet.com and its down to 33 players. 30 places payout, and after having my stack take a few hits, I'm down to 28th place.

There has been a raise preflop on almost every hand for a while but it normally sticks to one raise at most.

I have 5000TC left and the blinds are at 400-800 (or 500-1000, cant remember exactly which) and I get dealt 99 in EP. I raise it to 2000 and only the small blind calls me.

The flop comes down 5-7-J and the small blind bets out about 3500, putting me all-in if I call. I weigh out the situation and part of me feels like the SB, who has a large stack, is just trying to push me off the pot, but part of me sees the jack and thinks fold.
I call him all-in and see that he has JQ for a pair of jacks and Im out, in 33rd place.

After mulling over what I should've done, heres what I've come up with.

If the guy was trying to push me off the pot, he probably would have represented strength before the flop, not just called. So thinking he was trying to push me off the pot was a bad read.

The two possible plays I could've made when dealt this hand which would've been better would be.
1) Not raise this hand preflop. Limpin, and if an overcard hits and someone bets, throw it in. Wait until 3 more people are eliminated and I'm in the money before I make any aggressive plays. That way even if I'm blinded out, I'll have my entry fee back for next time. This is the financially responsible play to make I think.

2) Push all-in preflop. If Im willing to put all my chips in on these 9's, then I should be putting them all in preflop, not raising in half preflop and then calling the rest postflop.
That way, I can probably push medium-weak hands like QJoffsuit out of the hand preflop and avoid losing to such hands.

Either way though, I think raising preflop and then calling all-in post flop was clearly the wrong play here.

What would you guys have done in this situation?

Comments

• You're on a very short stack and have certainly picked up a hand which is more than good enough to get into a pot with.

I'd prefer simply moving all-in pre-flop. The general rule of "all-in or fold" usually applies when you have less than 6 or 7 times the big blind. Your stack being short also makes limping-in pre-flop very dubious, since, even in cases where you are lucky enough to flop a set, your remaining stack isn't large enough to provide a payoff that justifies the initial gamble.

As you played it pre-flop, calling the flop bet is correct I think. Flopping only one overcard and it being a Jack actually strikes me as a pretty good flop for 99.

Finally, if sneaking into the money in 30th place was very important to me, I would fold here.

ScottyZ