This One Has It All

Hunker down for some Brags some Beats and some Variance.

BRAG: First I'll start by saying I was one of the lucky ones who got the free Beta PT4 and since realizing what I've been missing so long as a (less than) casual low limit player I've made a conscious effort to put that tool to work. I've also made a decision to focus on one type of tournament and refining a "style" of play that will hopefully improve my online results.

Well success has come more quickly than expected. I have been focusing on 180 man $8 turbos and have been raking lately. Unfortunately PT4 is having some issues picking up all my games since I know I'm not actually turning a 1172% ROI as it says I am now. But what can not be disputed is that I have netted almost $1k in winnings since Feb 1st, on about 70 tournys played.

BEAT: There are still sooo many of these and I've found that they hurt so much more when you think you playing good poker. So here is the big one for tonight. I would very much like to know how others would play this too so feel free to chime in with whether my pre flop was flawed here or if my getting greedy wasn't going to change anything anyway.

I'm feeling comfortable where I am with about a top 20 stack with 60+ left. 18 cash.

PokerStars Hand #76058728855: Tournament #521346034, $7.34+$0.66 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (150/300) - 2012/02/22 22:30:34 ET
Table '521346034 19' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: vileone 11 (4975 in chips)
Seat 3: pelegrinMonk (2093 in chips)
Seat 4: The_Liqour (990 in chips)
Seat 5: Red Rhubarb (2415 in chips)
Seat 6: DrStrangePKR (3525 in chips)
Seat 7: diegomn (7158 in chips)
Seat 8: nai sa bula (6175 in chips)
Seat 9: HelmuthsMo!e (5490 in chips)
vileone 11: posts the ante 25
pelegrinMonk: posts the ante 25
The_Liqour: posts the ante 25
Red Rhubarb: posts the ante 25
DrStrangePKR: posts the ante 25
diegomn: posts the ante 25
nai sa bula: posts the ante 25
HelmuthsMo!e: posts the ante 25
pelegrinMonk: posts small blind 150
The_Liqour: posts big blind 300
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HelmuthsMo!e [Ac Ah]
Red Rhubarb: raises 600 to 900
DrStrangePKR: folds
diegomn: folds
nai sa bula: raises 600 to 1500
HelmuthsMo!e: calls 1500
vileone 11: folds
pelegrinMonk: folds
The_Liqour: calls 665 and is all-in
Red Rhubarb: raises 890 to 2390 and is all-in
nai sa bula: calls 890
HelmuthsMo!e: raises 3075 to 5465 and is all-in
nai sa bula: calls 3075
*** FLOP *** [Th 8c Kc]
*** TURN *** [Th 8c Kc] [Jh]
*** RIVER *** [Th 8c Kc Jh] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
nai sa bula: shows [8s 8h] (three of a kind, Eights)
HelmuthsMo!e: shows [Ac Ah] (a pair of Aces)
nai sa bula collected 6150 from side pot-2
Red Rhubarb: shows [Kd Ad] (a pair of Kings)
nai sa bula collected 4275 from side pot-1
The_Liqour: shows [Qc 5d] (high card King)
nai sa bula collected 4210 from main pot
HelmuthsMo!e finished the tournament in 60th place
Red Rhubarb finished the tournament in 61st place
The_Liqour finished the tournament in 62nd place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 14635 Main pot 4210. Side pot-1 4275. Side pot-2 6150. | Rake 0
Board [Th 8c Kc Jh 2c]
Seat 2: vileone 11 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: pelegrinMonk (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: The_Liqour (big blind) showed [Qc 5d] and lost with high card King
Seat 5: Red Rhubarb showed [Kd Ad] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 6: DrStrangePKR folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: diegomn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: nai sa bula showed [8s 8h] and won (14635) with three of a kind, Eights
Seat 9: HelmuthsMo!e showed [Ac Ah] and lost with a pair of Aces

So big whoop, I slow played big stack caught and I lose, but........

VARIANCE: PT4 tells me I have been dealt AA 36 times since February 1st, I have pf raised it 73% (I think that's low, does it count an all-in call as not raised?), my WTS% (went to showdown) is 75.8% so I can get away from them, but my WSD% (win at showdown) is 50%!!! 50 fukking percent!

Discuss any of the goodies I have placed unto you.

Comments

• run better
  • Need to see more hands. Doubt they are all all-in pre flop. Probably raising light pre flop and letting too many other players in cheap. Learn to fold them if you get too much action on the flop, etc. If you are betting on the flop and getting raised and re-raised, you are no good.
  • If you play your aces like this all the time then it's no wonder u are only at 50%. As you know, getting greedy with aces is a recipe for disaster, especially online where people tend to raise/call light more so than live.

In this case, for example, if u had 4-bet/shove instead of flatting the $1500 u definitely get action from the AKs since he's already committed more than 1/3 of his stack AND the 8s have to fold based on stack sizes, his bet size, and he knows he has to be up against a bigger pair.

If he calls with 8s and hits his 2-outer, then that's poker, but that won't happen anywhere near 50% of the time, obviously.

In this case u let the pot get too big and even if he puts u on a bigger pair, by the then it's too late - he's invested almost half his stack already, the pot is laying him 4-1 odds, he can knock out 3 players, and with all that dead money there is some chance u are on a squeeze.

Play em hard and take it down preflop.
  • I really dislike the flat pre. Its just such a bad spot for it.

Its not like the hijack opened and you flat aces on the button.

In this spot you get it in pre anyway but you could have easily seen a flop multiway here.

Youre 3/4 pfr with AA is def a leak you should be looking at correcting. Would be interesting to know what your pfr % is with hands like 88-1010.
  • Aren't you supposed to be on vacay?