1/2 Live AA and awkward stacks

Villain (CO) has $135ish to start hand: just seems like a standard 1/2 grinder, limps/calls alot, hasnt done anything really outta line.

BB has $60ish to start hand
I have both covered.

3 limpers and I make it $15 in OTB w/ AA, BB flats and CO flats.

Flop: 998dd

checks to me and I bet $30, BB jams for $15 more, CO pretty much SNAP flats, I call obv.

turn: Kh

CO checks, do I:
- check cos I think he has 9x a lot here and maybe get away on the river.
- put him in bc the pots already pretty big ($150ish) and he could be bad enough to have a FD here some amount of the time and play it this way.

Comments

• Preflop is good. 'grinder' to me has the connotation of a tight aggressive villian, who folds a lot and raises some times, not a loose passive fish who limps and check calls a lot.

CO could have you beat but stack sizes are so small it really doesn't matter. Surely he could flat with other hands on the flop aside from 9xxx such as a flush draw, striaght draw, some other pair, good ace high, gut shot, whatever. ergo you should jam. Your flop c-bet sizing is fine.
  • I check behind for pot control.

Yes, there are lots of draws out there villain can be on, but given the l/c and half stack, I can't see villain folding to a 3/4 PSB here when they effectively committed themselves on the flop. There is ~$225 in the pot. Villan only has $60 left. Villain is rarely folding OTT.
  • Just put the rest in
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    I check behind for pot control.

Yes, there are lots of draws out there villain can be on, but given the l/c and half stack, I can't see villain folding to a 3/4 PSB here when they effectively committed themselves on the flop. There is ~$225 in the pot. Villan only has $60 left. Villain is rarely folding OTT.

Why is the fact that villain is rarely folding a bad reason to be when we have AA?

This is a bet AINEC.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    Why is that fact that villain is rarely folding a bad reason to be when we have AA?

This is a bet AINEC.

Actually, I re-read this after I posted the $$$ in the pot, and for $60, we can't fold here anyway, beat or not. So continuing to bet here can't be bad.

For some reason I was thinking both OP and villain are deeper where I would definitely check behind for pot control.
  • I don't think he snapflats trips a lot here, feels like he's trying to look strong by acting strong more often than not, he probably has a middish pp or som 10j type draw or fd, maybe an 8 some of the time, I'd just bet again
  • yea if he has you beat gl to him, don't not bet here
  • Thanks for the reassurance guys, haven't played live cash in a while and was feeling pretty rusty.
  • No one has you beat here....any 9x hand is not checking the turn. This is a 1 2 game and the mentality is "uh oh you just called a flop bet on a board that is drawy, must protect my hand"

In this situation I fire turn and you will see people show up with 8X or some draw a lot of the times.

Having played 1-2 @ seneca this week, I witnessed these types of debacles. People showing up with ak and calling down 3 streets or calling down on draws only to check in position and not even take a stab at the pot.

Its important in 1-2 live not to over think the situation. Most times players will play ABC and let you know when they have a hand.
  • thanks bm, ya I played some long sessions this past weekend and got into some spots where I def leveled myself, most of the time into thinking guys were tighter than they actually were, esp postflop.
  • I would usually check back the flop and let them bet into me while pot controlling cause it can be really tough to get cr'd on that board if you aren't sure if they're capable of cr'ing draws. As played, I would just bet the turn for value. I also dont think villain is a grinder if he's limping a lot, probably just a fish