How would you play this?

B&M Tounament:

Blinds are 100/200, I am in the cutoff with AJ diamonds, it has been folded around to me and I raised to 600 (I am playing really tight). Button folds, SB (agressive player) calls, BB folds.

Flop comes Q,6,4,rainbow with no diamonds. SB hesitates then checks. I wait for 10-15 seconds and check myself.

4th street is another 4. SB bets out 600.

How would you play it?

Comments

• The fact that you wrote that he hesitated likely means you read that he hit. I give my opponent in this case QJ, Q10 without knowing anything else about him. I fold this hand easily at the point when he bets 600.

An alternative way to play the flop would be of course to put out a feeler bet of about 350 but I'm not sure what your stack is so it's hard to determine what to bet. I would actually prefer to bet out the flop and see where you are but with an aggressive player a check (giving up on the hand) is not the worst thing in the world.

stp
  • I think i would have put out a feeler bet on the flop, but be prepared to ditch the hand for any furthur investment unless you improve. By checking the flop you've invited the player to just take the pot away from you even if he hasn't hit anything.

You were the pre-flop agressor that means if both people miss you're the one who should be taking the pot. I realize he hesitated and such but still put out a bet like 350-400 and you'll know where you're at.
  • Dead Money wrote:
    B&M Tounament:

Blinds are 100/200, I am in the cutoff with AJ diamonds, it has been folded around to me and I raised to 600 (I am playing really tight). Button folds, SB (agressive player) calls, BB folds.

Flop comes Q,6,4,rainbow with no diamonds. SB hesitates then checks. I wait for 10-15 seconds and check myself.

4th street is another 4. SB bets out 600.

How would you play it?

This being a B&M game, I watch everything and had a very good read on this player. I knew he was bullying the table with his stack and the look of the check on his part was real and not an act.

The whole reason for me to check back at him was for him to commit chips to the pot. I knew he didn't have the Q and I put him on an under pair. When the board paired, this was a good card and when he raised 600, I went over the top of him with a reraise of 2400.

He rather hesitantly folded. As a side note, I really felt I was playing well enough to do this and with this strong read, I had the confidence too.

During the next break he asked me what I had, and I said " I forget". :tongue:
  • Dead Money wrote:
    This being a B&M game, I watch everything and had a very good read on this player. I knew he was bullying the table with his stack and the look of the check on his part was real and not an act.

The whole reason for me to check back at him was for him to commit chips to the pot. I knew he didn't have the Q and I put him on an under pair. When the board paired, this was a good card and when he raised 600, I went over the top of him with a reraise of 2400.

He rather hesitantly folded. As a side note, I really felt I was playing well enough to do this and with this strong read, I had the confidence too.

During the next break he asked me what I had, and I said " I forget". :tongue:

I love it -- especially the "I forget" part -- I . I was thinking raise all-in, cause I didn't know the stack sizes. When he puts out his feeler bet, you come over the top -- it's more convincing than a feeler bet. I like your check on the flop as well.

Cheers
    Magi