The new Party "freerolls"

Played a couple of the new Party freerolls, (specifically the $1,250 ones) and have been having a fun time with them. Both tournaments I've played well and it's always sad to be knocked out in unfortunate cirsumstances. Not really bad beats, but fun hands to watch anyway..

Tournament 1 : Blinds 20-40 (avg. stack 1100)

Zithal (1490)
MP(1240)

I'm on the button with 75d

Three limpers to me (including MP) I limp, SB completes, BB checks.
(Good old early rounds of the tournament!)

Flop: 6c 8d 9d.
(Straight with a weak flush draw, and gutshot straight flush draw)

Check to MP who bets 200, I raise to 800, folded to MP who immediately calls?.
Turn: Js

Checked to me. I have 650 left, he has 400. I push, he calls and turns over TT

River : 7c, giving him the 10 high straight. I'm left with 250 and survive for a while longer.

I don't mind his call *too* much as he had a overpair to the board - that's a hard one to get away from. Looking back at the hand, the mistake was mine. My raise was too large, I think, given that I didn't have the nut straight (7Tsuited was a possible holding given he limped in) and my flush draw was weak. Thoughts?

Tournament 2: Blinds 50-100 (av. stack 3000)

Zithal (3100)
EP (3500)

I'm in MP with TT

folded to EP who raises to 200. I re-raise to 600, folded around to EP who calls.

Flop 89K rainbow.

EP beats the flop to the table pushing all-in. What do I do?

I'm really glad Party Poker added a banked time feature (like the one that Stars had) cause I really need to think about the hand.

A minimum raise in EP, called the re-raise. He then went all-in stupidly fast, betting 2900 into a 1350 pot. My first impression was that he REALLY wanted me out of the hand, so I tried to determine if he hand any hand that could beat me. I'm worried about AK, AA-JJ, 99, 88 and Kx.

I can't see AK, AA, KK, 99, 88. The board was not at all scary and he wouldn't be trying to push me out of the pot if he held a monster. QQ, and JJ are a little more likely as I've seen people bet hard in this spot out of fear of the K, but I would have expected a pre-flop re-raised with one of these. KQ, KJ seem the most likely.

The player was the second biggest stack on the table. I had also seen him make some VERY questionable plays (and he only had this many chips due to some bad, yet lucky plays), so I added to this hand all the other hands that he could have. I was including Ax, 77-22 and some lower suited connectors. Thought I can't see him pushing that hard if there were that many over cards to him on the board. Ax seems mostly likely.

I was getting almost 2-1 on a call and I felt that the chances that he had a hand that beat mine were very slim. After spending almost all of my banked time thinking about the hand, I felt confident I was ahead and called.

He turns over AJs, hits an A on the turn and I'm out. Stupid 75% favorite. :(

I don't think I would have minded so much, if one person at the table has said, "Good call!", but sadly there was none of the that so I slinked away from the table while EP over-justified his play. My favorite line, "I wouldn't have dont that if they hadn't been suited!" Ummm.... there was one of your suit on the board. Meh.

I actually like my play here, and even though it busted me out, I wasn't at all upset. The other weird part about the hand was that it started firing off some new thoughts processes about poker. It's something like...

If I could put my opponent in a box, then compute my odds against all of those hands and combine the odds into a weighted averge, I could compare that to the pots odds I was getting to determine if I should be making a call. But then, my brain seizes up and I can't take the thought much furthur..... yet.

Comments

• If I could put my opponent in a box, then compute my odds against all of those hands and combine the odds into a weighted averge, I could compare that to the pots odds I was getting to determine if I should be making a call. But then, my brain seizes up and I can't take the thought much furthur..... yet.
    This exactly what Gus talks about in the most recent issue of Card Player Mag. He is a math wiz and reads players very well. A very strong combo as his WPT sucess shows.

I like the way you played both hands. In the first you said you made the mistake betting to much. At what point after could you have gotten away from your hand? Damn near impossible to put the other player on the nut straight IMO.

Keep processing the information like this and you will be stacking many chips for a long time to come.
  • I think you played both hands well ...

on the first hand like you said you can see why the other player couldn't get away from his hand. i bet you he really felt like he had the best hand.

in the second hand you made the right read, put sometimes people draw out on you