LOL Strategy!

Some friends and I were talking about some crazy theory behind the play of some players and/or the logic (or lack thereof) which makes them do what they do on the felt. I recalled one of my last session of 200nl at Niagara, there were two instances that made my head just shake in disbelief. First, a lady rivers the nuts (flush) and just calls opponents bet. Opponent ask her why she didn't raise, and she replies that there was no point because she might be beat. Second, another lady, gets re-raised then tanks for 20 seconds, folds, and says to the guy next to her: "I don't care about him. He's not the one I want to bust." I actually LOL'd at this.
What have you heard that made you lol?

Comments

• $2/$5 FLHE at Brantford.

Guy says: "Down $1200. Guess it's not my night"

Not so much lol as drool. :D
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    $2/$5 FLHE at Brantford.

Guy says: "Down $1200. Guess it's not my night"

Not so much lol as drool. :D

That's awesome. Clearly he's never heard of stop-loss.

My first time there a guy with (maybe) $10 Oakley knock-offs, playing 2/5 FL, wins with a flopped straight that was 3 bet pre flop with 69o! He insisted that he HAD to play it b/c it was BIG LICK! Oh dear.
  • Not so much what someone said, but their play said it all. I was having a good session at Niagara up to about $800. A younger guy sits down and after about 10 hands has it up to $600.

I am UTG+1 and he is cut off - I get dealt 4-4, just call pre-flop, it gets raised to $10, villain calls and me. $30 in the pot and the flop is 8-Q-4 rainbow, I check, original raiser checks and villain checks.

Turn is a 3 and I lead out for $20, raiser folds and villain calls. $90 in the pot, river is a 2 and I bet $50 and villain tanks for a minute and calls, I show my trips and he slaps his trip eights on the table and says "YES !!".

The rest of the table and myself just start laughing, he was as proud as could be that he won the hand and didn't realize all the money he saved me.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Not so much what someone said, but their play said it all. I was having a good session at Niagara up to about $800. A younger guy sits down and after about 10 hands has it up to $600.

I am UTG+1 and he is cut off - I get dealt 4-4, just call pre-flop, it gets raised to $10, villain calls and me. $30 in the pot and the flop is 8-Q-4 rainbow, I check, original raiser checks and villain checks.

Turn is a 3 and I lead out for $20, raiser folds and villain calls. $90 in the pot, river is a 2 and I bet $50 and villain tanks for a minute and calls, I show my trips and he slaps his trip eights on the table and says "YES !!".

The rest of the table and myself just start laughing, he was as proud as could be that he won the hand and didn't realize all the money he saved me.

He was afraid you had QQ, duh! ;)
  • westside8 wrote: »
    He was afraid you had QQ, duh! ;)

Nah backdoor A5 FTW
  • 1/2nlhe cash game last night. Family pot of limpers, flop A-7-7, checked around. Turn A. Checked to button, he raises and table folds. He tables 4-4 and says "Had to raise, didn't want anyone to pair up"
  • Rama last night 200nl live. Lady calls a post flop re-raise with middle pair top kicker to a made straight board. She goes runner runner for a boat and the win. Guy with straight says "you know i made the st8 on the flop with my huge re-raise didnt you? Lady "yeah, but i had a feeling" Him "sooo, (pause) you know you were beat but called anyways? You had a feeling of going runner runner boat? Her "yes".
  • Not really a strat play, but next time you see a 6, 7, or 8 on the flop make not of it verbally. See if anyone strikes up a conversation. Tell them you like to play hands with those cards because one ALWAYS seems to show up on the board. You could even make a prop bet out of it to make even more $$$ at the table. In general, it's funny to see who follows the conversation, and who actually changes how they play.
  • OnGame - 10.00+1.00|00/200 NL - Holdem - 10 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: PokerTracker

Hero (MP+2): 12,094.00
    LP: 3,300.00
    CO: 23,168.00
    BTN: 5,810.00
    SB: 4,222.00
    BB: 7,987.00
    UTG: 2,150.00
    UTG+1: 5,936.00
    MP: 9,269.00
    MP+1: 6,864.00

SB posts ante 20.00, BB posts ante 20.00, UTG posts ante 20.00, UTG+1 posts ante 20.00, MP posts ante 20.00, MP+1 posts ante 20.00, Hero posts ante 20.00, LP posts ante 20.00, CO posts ante 20.00, BTN posts ante 20.00, SB posts SB 100.00, BB posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 500.00) Hero has :qh :qd

fold, fold, fold,
    MP+1 raises to 400.00,
    Hero raises to 1,200.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold,
    MP+1 calls 800.00

Flop: (2900.00, 2 players) :5d :7s :8c
    MP+1 checks,
    Hero bets 1,550.00,
    MP+1 calls 1,550.00

Turn: (6000.00, 2 players) :8h
    MP+1 checks,
    Hero bets 4,500.00,
    MP+1 calls 4,094.00 and is all-in

River: (14188.00, 2 players) :6h

Hero shows :qh :qd (Two Pair, Queens and Eights) (Pre 71%, Flop 70%, Turn 84%)
    MP+1 shows :kd :9s (Straight, Nine High) (Pre 29%, Flop 30%, Turn 16%)
    MP+1 wins 14,188.00

the old call 3bet oop with k9o, flop gutshot and check call cbet check call 70% pot turn shove
  • Milo wrote: »
    Not really a strat play, but next time you see a 6, 7, or 8 on the flop make not of it verbally. See if anyone strikes up a conversation. Tell them you like to play hands with those cards because one ALWAYS seems to show up on the board. You could even make a prop bet out of it to make even more $$$ at the table. In general, it's funny to see who follows the conversation, and who actually changes how they play.

lol this is such an old prop bet trick lol
  • A few years ago at Brantford $2/$5 FLHE.

Hero has ATc in bb facing a single raise and 3 callers behind. Villian is UTG and calls the extra bet as well.

FLOP: Qc 8c 3h

TURN: 5c

River: 9d

There has been betting on every street all led by H in bb, so pot is at about $120. H has about $200 behind, V has $140.

Hero bets out, V raises, H re-raises, and this continues all they way down until V is all in (Remember, this is FL so the bets are only in $10 increments).

H turns over the nuts and V is exasperated as he shows K2c and exclaims":
    "How can you have the nuts, you bet the flop?
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    H turns over the nuts and V is exasperated as he shows K2c and exclaims": "How can you have the nuts, you bet the flop?

That is classic Brantford logic!
  • A few days ago in the women's league on P*'s: Action gets folded around to sb who goes all-in. It's just over 1x for me to call her from the bb. She turns over AQ (maybe AK) and my 26 catches and knocks her out of the tournament on the bubble.

She types in the chat: B1tch-what u call with?
  • This thread kind of reminds me of a home game that runs here in town, that I have played...once.

Buy in 20 bucks, get 40 chips. Every chip is worth .50, and blinds are "one chip and two chips" as I am told...betting is done in number of chips..not dollar value. You can't buy in more than 40 chips and have to be empty before you can reload... Then they want to play PLO half way through the game...which is no biggie...but no one can count the pot accurately and it becomes an all in fest very quickly....simply a clusterfuck.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    This thread kind of reminds me of a home game that runs here in town, that I have played...once.

That's a super gross game! Played by people who are sheer gamblers and likely don't understand the game.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  • PLO being only 40 blinds deep FTW......lets get it in fast as we can!!
  • How's this for a gross hand:

Blinds are 2k/4k and I have about 20k in the BB. Nearly the entire table limps preflop so I it was best to shove QQ and shorten the field. All the limpers call! The flop is 852 rainbow and everyone checks. The turn is 9 and UTG+1 comes out betting 10k and gets a call. An ace drops on the river and the UTG+1 checks and the middle position player shoves. I know my queens are dead, but what did the middle position player have? AJ.
  • holychow wrote: »
    How's this for a gross hand:

Blinds are 2k/4k and I have about 20k in the BB. Nearly the entire table limps preflop so I it was best to shove QQ and shorten the field. All the limpers call! The flop is 852 rainbow and everyone checks. The turn is 9 and UTG+1 comes out betting 10k and gets a call. An ace drops on the river and the UTG+1 checks and the middle position player shoves. I know my queens are dead, but what did the middle position player have? AJ.

This has just gotta be the cave right? lol... variance unlimited...
  • compuease wrote: »
    This has just gotta be the cave right? lol... variance unlimited...

It most certainly was!

Bad play gets rewarded yet again. Sigh.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  • If people could grasp math the game would be actually more difficult, be happy some do not understand the math of the game and when to snap off.....Thats one thing at the cave I have learned, dont use math, when in doubt just get it in and hope you hold up!
  • @getem76 Yeah, I know. The Cave is a math-free zone LOL. All you can do is shove with the best and pray.

Hey, the hand with my queens was the perfect situation. If the AJ would have folded on the turn, then I would have taken down a 140k (20k x 7) pot and been in excellent position to grind through the field.

The magic of the Cave is they don't fold when they're way behind with cards to come.

The evil of the Cave is they don't fold when they're way behind with cards to come.
  • The cash game action was pretty sick as well. The majority of the players were calling $6-7 preflop without a second thought and hard pressed to fold top or middle pair with crap kickers to big bets or re-raises.

I was crippled down to $16 and began my return to profit by shoving my stack with queens (this time they held up!) and got called by KJos that missed. I got aces three times the next orbit (first two times in the BB and SB) and action each time. I ended up cashing out $135. I'm not complaining about the end result, but getting there was a major grind.
  • holychow wrote: »
    The cash game action was pretty sick as well. The majority of the players were calling $6-7 preflop without a second thought and hard pressed to fold top or middle pair with crap kickers to big bets or re-raises.

I was crippled down to $16 and began my return to profit by shoving my stack with queens (this time they held up!) and got called by KJos that missed. I got aces three times the next orbit (first two times in the BB and SB) and action each time. I ended up cashing out $135. I'm not complaining about the end result, but getting there was a major grind.

*salutes* Major Grind
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    *salutes* Major Grind

Stand tall, private!
  • Played a live tournament last week. I'm in the big blind and the small blind said to me after he calls "if you raise I will fold". Pretty much before I finish announcing raise, he folds. I love tells.
  • Shifty wrote: »
    Played a live tournament last week. I'm in the big blind and the small blind said to me after he calls "if you raise I will fold". Pretty much before I finish announcing raise, he folds. I love tells.

AC/DC Kris has been located . . . well done Shifty.
  • Shifty wrote: »
    Played a live tournament last week. I'm in the big blind and the small blind said to me after he calls "if you raise I will fold". Pretty much before I finish announcing raise, he folds. I love tells.

Don't know why players say that. It would be fun to say that, have the BB raise and then snap shove.
  • Not quite strategy, but likely the funniest thing I have heard at the live table in a long time...

Guy sits down in seat 4, chewing his gum like it's the last piece on earth...

Seat 4: "day 10 of quitting smoking, they say its tougher than quitting heroin because it's more socially accepted."
    Seat 9: "noone has ever sucked a dick for a cigarette."