Options

Did I miss out on value?

I was just wondering if you guys can give comments on the line I took and if I could have gotten more value with that i assume is the best hand. I didn't have any specific reads on villian, was only at that table for 1 orbit

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

MP3 (t1955)
CO (t2785)
Button (t2830)
SB (t2293)
BB (t2970)
UTG (t7350)
Hero (UTG+1) (t6035)
MP1 (t2840)
MP2 (t3000)

Hero's M: 100.58

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Kdiamond.gif, Kspade.gif
UTG bets t120, Hero raises to t380, 7 folds, UTG calls t260

Flop: (t820) 5diamond.gif, 2diamond.gif, 3heart.gif(2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets t420, UTG calls t420

Turn: (t1660) 6diamond.gif(2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: (t1660) 8club.gif(2 players)
UTG bets t830, Hero ????

first time using HH converter

Comments

• costanza wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you guys can give comments on the line I took and if I could have gotten more value with that i assume is the best hand. I didn't have any specific reads on villian, was only at that table for 1 orbit

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

MP3 (t1955)
    CO (t2785)
    Button (t2830)
    SB (t2293)
    BB (t2970)
    UTG (t7350)
    Hero (UTG+1) (t6035)
    MP1 (t2840)
    MP2 (t3000)

UTG checks, Hero checks

UTG bets t830, Hero ????

calls

You need to give your thoughts on all streets and tell us what you think his range is given the action to learn much from the hand.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    calls

You need to give your thoughts on all streets and tell us what you think his range is given the action to learn much from the hand.

thanx GTA, this is my first time ever posting something like this, i will try and give you guys my mental process through this hand from my perspective.

Preflop: I have kings, so I feel pretty good about my hand. Pretty easy/standard 3 bet imo (is my sizing ok?)

flop: Feel ok about the flop, I have an over pair, I bet small for value, hoping to induce a float from villian (is this stupid?)

turn: I don't really like the diamond that peels off. I feel like the flush draws are certainly in his range. I check it back for pot control, and to disguise my hand a little bit. I still have an over pair to the board (should I keep firing?)

river: Now a straight has to be in villians range. i still have an over pair but he could have a 7 or a 4 and have me crushed lol

I find at this level alot of villians don't respect/know the value of 3/4 betting from players that have position on them. they just know that they have a pretty hand and wanna see the flop, and they don't care about their stack size. I see players all day long just flat like 60% of their stack jut to see the flop then c/f, its just so LOL

sorry this is long, id appreciate feed back on my thought process and if you guys would take a different line.

thx
  • I think you played it just fine and didn't miss out on any value :P
  • every street im mashing the bet button and trying to get all my and villains chips in the pot.
  • darbday wrote: »
    every street im mashing the bet button and trying to get all my and villains chips in the pot.

is this one of those "fuck you I got kings im not folding" hands? :arghh:
  • I think going for 3 streets here is much too greedy
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I think going for 3 streets here is much too greedy
    how about 1 or 2 massive streets then?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I think going for 3 streets here is much too greedy

This is a $2 tournament. It's not too greedy.

I'd bet the turn and if he called, I'd bet the river.

As played, however, I guess I'd just call the river.
  • costanza wrote: »

MP3 (t1955)
    CO (t2785)
    Button (t2830)
    SB (t2293)
    BB (t2970)
    UTG (t7350)
    Hero (UTG+1) (t6035)
    MP1 (t2840)
    MP2 (t3000)

UTG checks, Hero checks

UTG bets t830, Hero ????

so what happened?
  • I guess i can tell.

I won the pot KK>JJ probably could have gotten more value on the river, but with the line I took, I guess i'm ok with it.

I was interested on hearing how others would have played it.

thanx guys
  • Good stuff. Didnt mean to pressure ya. I just like to hear the outcome....
  • if you want more value the place to get it is the turn, not the river
  • I play the hand pretty much the same way.

I don't mind checking the turn given we have the Kd in our hand and if we are behind to a set or flush, I have a redraw and I don't want to get shoved off the hand.

I call the river. Raising would be bad as there are very few hands we beat that call.
  • thanx for the insight guys.

I probably played it a little to passive, but if a couple people agree that my line is ok then im happy with that, I just wasnt sure.
  • As played, call river. I would be betting turn though for surrrrree
  • I would probably call river. This early in the tournament, it's hard to tell if he's worried about the straight/flush draw or if he's slow playing. Plus any hand is worth considering at that level and stage since most people don't know the definition of a good hand. If you assumed he was a good player, the check on the turn would be correct IMO as he would know you would be worried of the flush draw and that you probably wouldn't have hit that flop Because of your preflop raise. Thus he would be thinking of slow playing.

I think you did pretty good. It was a good call. Kinda hard to say it was justified as he could have easily been on a wide range of hands. On a board that scary, a fold wouldn't have been a bad play because of that. He played the jacks the same way as slow playing a flush. I wouldn't worry about value here too much.
  • as played call river i dont mind checking the turn at all you have 2nd nuts flush draw and it keeps the pot small and can induce a bluff or a bad value bet from 99 or TT type of hand on the river if you bet turn and he donks river it can put you in a very tough spot