2012 Poker Goals

Gonna start a new thread so it'll be easier to find next year.

Here goes:

1.) Profit: Setting different goals for online and live this year:

Online: 40k
Live: 10k
Total: 50k

2.) Events: Play at least one WSOP event
Play at least 5 VDSE (or similar Vegas tourneys)
Play one foreign event (EPT, WPT, LAPT, etc)

3.) 5 Digit Cash: One online
One Live

4.) Chat Ban: Avoid chat ban on Stars (and overall tiltiness)

5.) Win a $300+ b/i live tourney

6.) Final table a major online tourney

Comments

• 1) Add $0.00 to any existing on-line account balances.
    2) GET OUT TO A BRISTOL EVENT.
    3) Get off my ass and get up to the OPT.
    4) Change my attitude towards the game. I often find myself torn between wanting to put in the time/effort to improve my play and therefore increase my profits, and wanting to just enjoy the social aspect that poker brings to my life. I think 2012 is the year where I finally need to resolve that issue once and for all, and then move on.
  • 1) Platinum Star on PS
    2) Regularly play $15 and $30 45man turbos
    3) Win a Bristol
    4) Win an HPT
    5) Play a ching event
    6) Win $10k
  • 1. Get consistent and resolve to only play my A game (not drunk or tired as heck......skill level is disadvantage enough)
    2. make my studying to playing ratio .5 to 1. has been much much too low with almost no effort to improve in some months.
    3. get to Vegas or AC for some big time experience
    4. Finally get a PC to actually be able to use the better 3rd party programs
    5. Make time to play some MTT's
    6. 3 Digit cash
  • In my current situation factoring in travel, etc:

1. make 30k

If I move to Vegas temporarily:

2. make moar

If I move to The Bay Area:

3. hopefully make moar (have never played in the area and don't know how the games play)
  • - Dont deposit at all in 2012
    - Learn as much as I can
    - Be nicer and tilt less
    - Post hands im not sure of and get input, and not be afraid of what people think
    - Play live more
  • 1) Try to make as much as in 2011 but with less grinding.

2) Become a power user of PT4/HM2. Buy a desktop with fast SSD, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core, & 30"/27" monitor.

3) Become better at multi-tabling, e.g., much less auto-folded hands, missed rebuys, missed add-ons, quickly folding the winning hand, :-[ mistakenly shoving near the bubble; reduce huge gap between what I would have done single-tabling vs. 8-12 tabling.

4) Finish at least one 2011/12 poker book (e.g., Little Gold Book), or finally find a training site that is worth taking time off from grinding.

5) Be in the top 1000 or 99% rating in OPR, and/or shark in Sharkscope with at least 80% ability.

6) Play a couple of live events, e.g., Montreal PartyPoker Classic and the next major event at Fallsview (2013?).

7) By the end of 2012, spend a lot less time grinding than now even if it's still highly +EV. Find "balance in the force."
  • 1) Eclipse my combined earnings from 2011. I took most of 2011 off due to some IRL changes that really helped me gain some focus and balance. As much as I enjoyed grinding an online roll, 2009 and 2010 were relatively antisocial years from me.

However I made some decent live scores in '11 which balanced my overall profits to be right inline with my results from '09 and '10.

1b) Because these years have been so antisocial, I need to make some friends. This may sound strange but putting in significant hours online when you already have a fulltime job doesnt leave alot of time for anything else. I recently had to fill out a question sheet that required a reference of a long time friend - and couldnt name one. FML.

2) Travel to more live events. WSOPc in Jan is a start but Im also going to do either Manitoba or Sask again, and for sure one of the Alberta Series.

3) Live on GTA's couch in Vegas.

4) Focus online. During the latter part of the year I found myself "fitting in" time to play online when I should have just not bothered. This resulted in less villain specific focus, bad bubble play (really bad bubble play) and overall spew-ed-ness. I find I dont make near as many errors playing serious live events as Ive "planned" to be there.

5) Double digit points at Royal. FML Pt.2.

Good luck to the community this year. I think one of the things that has brought us closer as a group over the past year was the BAP forum and the growth we've witnessed there. I hope this continues to grow and allow for greater group achievements.
  • Some insightful posts above. Good luck to all.

Me I just wanna:

1) take a Vekked poker seminar ;) ... or two.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    3) ...e.g., much less ...quickly folding the winning hand, :-[

No worries, he wasn't even multi-tabling, "only" playing 1 live tourn at a time:

Phil Ivey mucks a winning flush after Showdown World Series of Poker 2009 - YouTube
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    1b) Because these years have been so antisocial, I need to make some friends. This may sound strange but putting in significant hours online when you already have a fulltime job doesnt leave alot of time for anything else. I recently had to fill out a question sheet that required a reference of a long time friend - and couldnt name one. FML.

You know I love you Joben.

Funny scene from "I Love You, Man" - YouTube
  • Super thread T8!

For me:

1. Win Season 6 of the Orangeville Poker Tour (half way there)

2. Attend a WPT Tournament boot camp.

3. Play the Senior's event at the WSOP.

4. Make enough money from live tourneys at OPT, Buzzard's, Ching Hill, and York Region to pay for the above.

5. Come home from Vegas with more money than I arrived with.

6. Make top 100 in the PS Sunday Storm more than once.

7. Qualify for the 2013 PCA.

I agree with Wetts that the BAP forum has made more of us connect on a different level. You even get to know their name (having to to make a money transfer).

Looking forward to when Team PFC makes a bigger dent in the public poker scene. Some of you already are.

GL all.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    4) Focus online. During the latter part of the year I found myself "fitting in" time to play online when I should have just not bothered. This resulted in less villain specific focus, bad bubble play (really bad bubble play) and overall spew-ed-ness. I find I dont make near as many errors playing serious live events as Ive "planned" to be there.

yey! I'm tired of searching "Wetts1012" and getting "not available" or w/e on stars lol
  • Bust Milo more.

That's really all I can afford right now.

I'd like to have enough money so I can play this game regularly that would be nice but not a poker goal really.
  • Wetts I will be your friend:)
  • My 2012 poker goals

1) Crack the top 50 in a WSOP event this year. (My best is a 51st)

2) Play more online poker. (Now that the kids are getting slightly older, will hopefully start to see a little more free time in the evenings to do this)

3) Money in a WSOP-C event that I will be going to in late January with Wetts1012

4) Travel to more events other than just Las Vegas. BCPC, WSOP Europe, EPT, Deepstack Tour Event, etc

5) Money in a GBH event

6) Win back to back OPT Season ending Tournaments

7) Win back to back Ching Hill Season ending Tournaments

8) Make my BAP stakers some money

9) And of course the obvious, keep my bankroll in the + figures.

I believe that most of these are pretty obtainable goals
  • Put these in the other thread, but this will be easier to find in Dec.

1. Keep my DC (or other) membership all year and watch as many videos as I can that apply to my games
    2. Get in over 10,000 180man turbos.
    3. NO CASH GAMES!
    4. Get comfortable with more tables - target of 20 at a time by the end of 2012 (currently at 10)
    5. Get a coach in Feb - March for the 180s. Not 100% sure about this, we will see.

I want to add to the above,

6. Make enough $ to cash out $4-5k for my wedding in January. Will need to cash out by ~Nov.
    7. Make the SS leaderboard for something

Since posting the first few goals I have already increased to 14 tabling, so Im getting there. Im still on pace for 10k games this year, even though I have only played like 50% of the days so far. So I might up the volume goal if its going good.
  • 1) Read more books/threads about strategy instead of just hanging out in the Off Topic area.

2) Set aside actual time each week to play instead of just randomly deciding to play some poker and hoping I have enough time.

3) Build a mid 4 digit bankroll (3-6K)

4) Win one MTT of 1000+ players.

5) Learn Omaha because it just seems like too much fun and money that I'm missing out on.

6) Get the man cave set up really well instead of the half assedness that it is now.

7) Get a new computer since this one is about 6-7 years old.

8) Do not blow up at any hands. If this should fail, install exploding Mr. Potato Head that blows up when there is too loud of a noise. When he blows up, I have to take a break for at least 1 hour.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    1) Read more books/threads about strategy instead of just hanging out in the Off Topic area.

2) Set aside actual time each week to play instead of just randomly deciding to play some poker and hoping I have enough time.

3) Build a mid 4 digit bankroll (3-6K)

4) Win one MTT of 1000+ players.

5) Learn Omaha because it just seems like too much fun and money that I'm missing out on.

6) Get the man cave set up really well instead of the half assedness that it is now.

7) Get a new computer since this one is about 6-7 years old.

8) Do not blow up at any hands. If this should fail, install exploding Mr. Potato Head that blows up when there is too loud of a noise. When he blows up, I have to take a break for at least 1 hour.

8 is impossible
  • Macke wrote: »
    8 is impossible

Not true. I actually own an exploding Mr. Potato Head :)
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    4.) Chat Ban: Avoid chat ban on Stars (and overall tiltiness)

fail

Hello T8yourmoney,

We are writing to inform you that we have suspended your chat privilege for 1 week as a result of your chat on 2012/01/14.

The use of vulgarity when addressing another player is not allowed.

When asterisks are seen during chatting, it is a warning that what is being put into the chatbox is not allowed. Using spaces or other characters, or otherwise defeating the censor is a violation of the Card Room Rules.

Your chat privilege will be reinstated automatically once the suspension period is over. There is no need to write to support.

Our goal at PokerStars is to be a fun place to play, where everyone can feel comfortable. Abuse and other disruptions to the games takes away from everyone's enjoyment, and therefore will not be tolerated.

We thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

PokerStars Chat Moderation Team

The following chat was observed
    sorry, is there a Latvian phuckhead talking about me?
    Cinderella is an ugly beeeeatch
    fail

Hello T8yourmoney,

We are writing to inform you that we have suspended your chat privilege for 1 week as a result of your chat on 2012/01/14.

When asterisks are seen during chatting, it is a warning that what is being put into the chatbox is not allowed. Using spaces or other characters, or otherwise defeating the censor is a violation of the Card Room Rules.

Your chat privilege will be reinstated automatically once the suspension period is over. There is no need to write to support.

Our goal at PokerStars is to be a fun place to play, where everyone can feel comfortable. Abuse and other disruptions to the games takes away from everyone's enjoyment, and therefore will not be tolerated.

Regards,

There is always next year.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    There is always next year.

Here ye, here ye
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    My 2012 poker goals

2) Play more online poker. (Now that the kids are getting slightly older, will hopefully start to see a little more free time in the evenings to do this)

3) Money in a WSOP-C event that I will be going to in late January with Wetts1012

4) Travel to more events other than just Las Vegas. BCPC, WSOP Europe, EPT, Deepstack Tour Event, etc

5) Money in a GBH event

THIS!!!! my number 2 goal of the year, outside of making money for myself lol
    fail

Hello T8yourmoney,

Regards,

You know there's an option to turn the chat off. Just sayin'.
  • LEARN THE GAME!!!...this is my goal everytime I sit down, actually had someone ask me when a 2/5 was opening once "You really just learning?" ..... "YES I AM, I sit here?".....must have been a lucky seat, that was a profit day!

number 2, at least show 3k profit while playing 2/5 during the year, I only live probably about 20 hours a month or so, harder goal than it looks.
  • getem76 wrote: »

number 2, at least show 3k profit while playing 2/5 during the year, I only live probably about 20 hours a month or so, harder goal than it looks.

im surprised you are still alive :D
  • as in play live, but thats good!!....that living 20 hours a month would be SWEET!!
    My 2012 poker goals

5) Money in a GBH event

I can now cross off 3 & 8
    I can now cross off 3 & 8

Congrats. Wish I was a part of your #8. But I'm gonna be a part of your #6.

:):)
  • After missing out on the Fallsview overlay, I updated my goals to include playing in a couple of live events.