Is Poker A Sport?

i was debating with my father-in-law the other night about this.
he says poker is not a sport, but he is easily swayed if decent arguements are presented :wink:

what do u think?
a sport or not

Comments

• I wouldn't call it a sport I don't think. Like chess, I wouldn't call that a sport.

Although I'd rather see the Canadian Olympic poker team than the Canadian Olympic figure skating team.. :D
  • 1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

I think poker would obviously fall under definition (a), but that definition may be too broad for what we're talking about. I don't think that poker falls under definition (c)... you're really stretching it if you're calling poker a "physical activity".

A simple way to think about it: If you think a sport and a game are two different things, then poker is a game, not a sport.

As for definition (b), let's not go there... ;)

ScottyZ
  • well, my wife suggested it's just as much a sport as chess...which didn't really help my arguement

my pa-in-law was sticking with the idea that a sport must be something physical...seems like that may be the deciding point
  • Its more of mental exercise but I wouldnt call it a sport. Usually involves teams or physical exertion.
  • I agree with the definition that sport must include some physical activity. I don't think that throwing some chips into the pot or lifting up cards off the table are physical enough.

One day I'd like to see poker in the Olympics. If games such as archery and equastrian qualify, then so should poker. Wouldn't it be cool to be an Olympic Poker Champion.
  • If games such as archery and equastrian qualify, then so should poker.

I disagree with this. Poker is quite far from each of these in terms of being a sport, let alone an Olympic sport.

Although, I do agree that it would be cool if it was. 8)

ScottyZ
  • Definetely not a sport.
  • i think i'm going to have to concede...not a sport.
    i was never really sure that it was, but i figured if anyone could present a good argument that it is, i'd find that someone here.
  • Bridge (apparently) is being admitted to the Olympics. I think poker has just as much claim as bridge does.
  • Bridge is currently officially recognized as a sport by the IOC, and has been so since 1995.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/recognized/index_uk.asp

So is Korfball.

http://www.british-korfball.org.uk/whatiskorfball.htm

Bridge will not be in the 2004, 2006 or 2008 Olympic games.

ScottyZ
  • :)

Garsh, you're good.
  • screw ioc, if it doesn't get your heart rate up, make you sweat, and you can't have a run...um nevermind
  • From the IOC's point of view, what Bridge has that Poker doesn't is an international governing body. (e.g., for Bridge, the World Bridge Federation) This is one of the requirements the IOC has for recognizing something as a sport.

The closest thing that Poker has to an "international governing body" at this point is probably Mike, Shana and Vince.

And that's just sad. :)

But, who knows, maybe Bridge *does* get some players' heart rates up. "Oh man, c'mon and make it 3NT so I can come back over the top with 5 clubs..."

ScottyZ
  • Quote:
    1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

The word "sport" was around long before it became tied so closely to athletics. Chances are, since it's the last entry in the dictionary definition above, that it was added last. Hey, it sounded good when I said it. lol And it might be true?? It might even fool the old guy too. lol

By ScottyZ

The closest thing that Poker has to an "international governing body" at this point is probably Mike, Shana and Vince.

And that's just sad.

AMEN to that. lol
  • micr0be wrote:
    screw ioc, if it doesn't get your heart rate up, make you sweat, and you can't have a run...um nevermind

So if the husband comes home early, and you have to fast pedal out the back door, does that mean adultery is a sport? lmfao
  • poker should be considered a sport.. and i wouldn't be surprised if we see poker in the olympics one day.. they put ping pong. walking. luge. and all these other crap sports in the olympics i don't see why poker can't be there :lol:
  • Bridge, chess and poker.
    None of these should be in the Olympics because aside from a healthy heart none of these take a variable degree of motor skills. A sport takes motor skills. I love poker but until you can physically train rather than read your way to a better game or sit your butt down for hours to become better, a game yes, a sport no.
    No offence intended but if Stephen Hawking could be the best at something it likely does not belong in the Olympics. He is smart enough to likely be great at poker if he wasn't doing other boring genius stuff.
    Contact poker...now we're talking.