Heads Up?

Last night was playing in our regular 20 player tourney at my place. Nothing crazy just a $20 freeze out.

I get heads up and am down between 2-3 to 1 when we get there but by no means completely short stacked. I had about 10BB when we started and I slowly battled back to make it close to even (other guy still had a few chip lead).

We were both playing tight taking stabs at the pot when sensed weakness. My read on the other player is semi-tight aggressive as he over values some hands and chases bad draws when he feels caught in a hand.

He is first to act and raises the normal (what we were both raising preflop at the time) amount which approx 3BB (we are both semi-deep at this point with around 20 BB). I look down at AQo and push. He calls with KK. No help for me and the tourney is over.

So my question is am I over valuing big Aces heads up? When heads up can you give credit for big pockets? Afterwards (with 20/20 hindsight), I thought a smaller reraise may have been a better choice but I'm not sure if I could get away from that hand after commiting around half my stack.

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• He is first to act and raises the normal (what we were both raising preflop at the time) amount which approx 3BB (we are both semi-deep at this point with around 20 BB). I look down at AQo and push. He calls with KK. No help for me and the tourney is over.

The flaw? You obviously are the better player in the heads up match (as demonstrated by your 3 to 1 to even comeback). There is no need to try and close out the match like this in a blaze of glory.

Back when I played exclusively short handed SnG's, one of my biggest leaks was being able to grind the chiplead from the bigstack and then toss it away on a big coin-flip confrontation like that..